Arc AAA 5.5 lumens

ragweed

Enlightened
I want one of these & hang the cost. I just want to know if its good enough as an EDC for night time. I have excellent night vision to an extent. I have a 10.5 lumen model..the Arc-P & it is more than I need as in way too bright. I posted in the Arc forum but, it appears to be dead or at least few viewers there. Any info is appreciated..Thank You!:eek:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok if its the latest, greatest technology you seek, you can get much more light for much less money.

That being said, the ARC AAA is a classic piece of precision machining. It is "more of a light" than others. I love my Fenix E01, yet the Arc at twice the $$$ feels better.

I would also suggest a FEW E01s. they make great gifts to the non enlightened.

I once needed my ARC AAA-P for a trade show and it died, I called the OWNER of ARC Peter Granasee (spelling?) and he personally saw to it that a replacement ARC arrived in time. I never forgot that and gladly share this story whenever the "ARC" name is mentioned:)

Buy the Arc. It could be $50 ? doesn't matter. if you can..... buy it!!:thumbsup:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you going to be walking around? Outdoors with little ambient light, my Arc (old premium, 5.5lm model) is fine for just walking around a trail or field. In a more urban environment with streetlights I don't think it will be enough. I keep my Arc with me at all times as a backup.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I..the Arc-P & it is more than I need as in way too bright.

I haven't heard that much before:crackup:

if you wasnt a REAL DIM, yet functional Arc AAA light, I suggest the ARC UV. it is far dimmer than even a coin cell UV LED but the colour, rendition is superb!

ragweed

Enlightened
It will be used in pitch black areas of Arizona! No ambiant light except for the moon & stars.

paulr

Flashaholic
The 5.5 lumen model used the Nichia CS led. Some were marked Arc-P and others not. Before that was the BS model which was around 3 lumens. There was also a Peak Led clone of the Arc, that ran at about half power for about 1 lumen. Finally you could consider something like a Rigel Skylight, which is made for astronomy and has a brightness adjustment knob that will go ultra dim. They make versions with two leds (e.g. red and white) so you can use the red for night vision preservation.

The UV suggestion was a joke, I hope. It is good for some forensic-like purposes but using it for long periods or looking into it is bad for your eyes.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5.5 lumen model is a great EDC. It has a wonderful combination of output and runtime. My favorite is the DS version, rated at 9 lumens. You just can't go wrong with an Arc AAA.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm still carrying on the keychain my old std. Arc from 2003. Plenty of lumens for really dark conditions. However, the beam is blue and ringy, typical of those oldies. I certainly prefer the newer lights from other makers capable of lower lows and great highs, but the Arc is a trustworthy backup.

Geoff

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest that rather than buy an outdated light with an inefficient LED to limit you to 5 lumens (the older CS Nichia) that you get a Peak AAA light with an up to date efficient LED driven at a low output to achieve your desired low output. That way you get extended runtime. The Peak Eiger is a fantastic light with a Rebel 100 emitter. This light is very efficient at low drive levels.

Patriot

Flashaholic
To answer the question, yes, 5.5L is enough for night navigation outdoors but these days you have a lot of choices. Have you looked at the Maratac, ITP, Preon, and Illuminati? Most have as good a build quality than the arc and are brighter, have better tint, and are more efficient.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
But none of them are as small as ARC AAA; it is definitely the thinnest AAA light around and possibly shortest too. In terms of volume, no other AAA light can beat Arc AAA classic.

I have never quite understood why its form factor has not been copied exactly.

- Vikas

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UV suggestion was a joke, I hope. It is good for some forensic-like purposes but using it for long periods or looking into it is bad for your eyes.

It was a sincere suggestion, especially if there are scorpions in the before-mentioned Arizona desert at night.

I appreciate safety concerns such as staring directly into the UV LED.
Otherwise I didn't think/know it was damaging as ambient light.

I really like the tint on the UV Arc and it is VERY dim so I thought in pitch black it would protect night vision and do the job.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest that rather than buy an outdated light with an inefficient LED to limit you to 5 lumens (the older CS Nichia) that you get a Peak AAA light with an up to date efficient LED driven at a low output to achieve your desired low output. That way you get extended runtime. The Peak Eiger is a fantastic light with a Rebel 100 emitter. This light is very efficient at low drive levels.

+1 with the Peak Eiger. I saw your post in the Arc forum, but I did not want to suggest the Peak there. Level 1 is about 6 lumens, it uses a Luxeon Rebel in your choice of neutral or cool white and either wide, medium or narrow optic. If you wish for a beam that's not too intense, I'd suggest the neutral wide.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 for the AAA Peak Eiger - in your choice of power levels, and in either HAIII, SS, or brass (which polishes up very, very nicely). You can also pick your body style: (i) keychain or momentary switch, (ii) simple lug, or (iii) a very short pocket style without any keychain/lug feature.

Here's an Arc AAAP next to a lugged brass Peak Eiger (this one is in the shorter 10180 battery format fitted with a longer narrow beam reflector).

image006z.jpg

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I forgot, there's also the Peak Matterhorn, same price as the 5.5 lumen Arc, uses a "snow" white 5mm LED (I think they're made by Cree) and there's 2 levels, I'm not sure of their lumen ratings however.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take some scotchbright or fine sandpaer to the exposed LED in an ARC you can diffuse the beam which reduces the peak brightness. It also makes the beam alot smoother.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
But none of them are as small as ARC AAA; it is definitely the thinnest AAA light around and possibly shortest too. In terms of volume, no other AAA light can beat Arc AAA classic.

I have never quite understood why its form factor has not been copied exactly.

- Vikas

The Eiger is just as small as the Arc (the head is just a tiny longer). I can put the Eiger head on my Arc battery tube if I want a key chain end. The Eiger pocket tube is shorter than the Arc tube and makes the Eiger practically the same size as the Arc. It is this incredibly small form factor that makes me like this light so much.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eiger is just as small as the Arc (the head is just a tiny longer). I can put the Eiger head on my Arc battery tube if I want a key chain end. The Eiger pocket tube is shorter than the Arc tube and makes the Eiger practically the same size as the Arc. It is this incredibly small form factor that makes me like this light so much.

The wide beamed version's head is shorter than the medium/narrow's head for what it's worth.

Patriot

Flashaholic

MaratacAAA033.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely a bit smaller in diameter and slightly thinner, but look at what you give up.

4-6 hours instead of 40-50 hours
5.5 lumens instead of 1.5 / 18 / 80 lumens
$40 vs $25
Blue light vs. white light.

For me, the advantages to saving a few cubic millimeters in space is nothing compared to what it lost. I like the Arc, I own three of them in various generations but I have to concede that it's a dinosaur compared to the new generations of AAA LED's.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's definitely a bit smaller in diameter and slightly thinner, but look at what you give up.

4-6 hours instead of 40-50 hours
5.5 lumens instead of 1.5 / 18 / 80 lumens
$40 vs $25
Blue light vs. white light.

For me, the advantages to saving a few cubic millimeters in space is nothing compared to what it lost. I like the Arc, I own three of them in various generations but I have to concede that it's a dinosaur compared to the new generations of AAA LED's.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the iTP/Maratac in my opinion doesn't even measure up to my E01, those 40-50 hours claimed on low? Bogus. Unless you never turn it off. The E01 has way more real world runtime with it's (initially) higher output. And the "MarEOS" sure as heck doesn't say "drop me, I can take it" like my E01 or my Peak Eiger for that matter.

Last edited: