TLR-1 and RCR123's

stuff

Newly Enlightened
I did some searching but could not find the anwser. Can the TLR-1 take 2 RCR123s or will that hurt the LED? Thanks for the help.

stuff

Newly Enlightened
WOW. Just got the TLR-1. I very impressed with the quality of the light. Seems very soild and the light it produces and great. The switch seems a little flimsy but time will tell. Anyone have any idea on those RCR123's? I just dont want to blow up a new light. Thanks.

stuff

Newly Enlightened

Vesper

Enlightened
I also have that weapon light. I wouldn't risk it either. I love and use rechargeables, but to me it seems a weaponlight is a good place to just stick with good reliable primary 123 cells.

dradee1

Newly Enlightened
I use 2 Ultrafire RCR123`s in my TLR-1 and TLR-2 and have not had a problem yet.

I use one in my Surefire Saint minimus aswell. Just try not to run the RCR123 to low before you charge it up as it will damage the battery.

r6vr6

Newly Enlightened
I use 2 Ultrafire RCR123`s in my TLR-1 and TLR-2 and have not had a problem yet.

I use one in my Surefire Saint minimus aswell. Just try not to run the RCR123 to low before you charge it up as it will damage the battery.

Thanks for the data point. How much run time do you think you have with the TLR running on the RCRs?

dradee1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the data point. How much run time do you think you have with the TLR running on the RCRs?

I have never done a run time check but I try and charge them up after I have used them for about an hour or so of runtime.

The Saint minimus I use alot working on cars and swap the batts all the time, I pretty much use it on full output so if I have had it on for about a hour I swap the batt for a fresh one.

r6vr6

Newly Enlightened
I have never done a run time check but I try and charge them up after I have used them for about an hour or so of runtime.

The Saint minimus I use alot working on cars and swap the batts all the time, I pretty much use it on full output so if I have had it on for about a hour I swap the batt for a fresh one.

Sorry for the wording...how many hours have you used the rcrs total? Like have you just ran them a couple times around the house or do you have a lot of time with them running the tlr?

dradee1

Newly Enlightened
I got ya, ummm I have 3 on various guns and ya they do not get much use really at all, playing in the house doing room clearings only honestly :eek:

I do have one TLR-1 that I have in my toolbox that I use as a trouble light working under dash`s and stuff and its seen maybe 40-50 recharges so far on 880 Mah Ultrafire CR123 batts.

I just never use them fresh off the charger, use them the next day.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd interject since I just discovered it. I got brave and tried to RCRs in my TLR-1 after reading this thread. It worked. No poof. No white smoke. However, it didn't seem much brighter, and the potential of your cells giving out or the protection circuit kicking in during a life or death situation far outweighs saving a few dollars. Maybe for practice drills, using RCRs wouldn't be too bad, but if you use your gun for defense, whether in the home or on the streets, I would never trust rechargeable batteries. Oh yeah - and the switch is solid. My TLR-1 is an original and I've used and abused it on my 870 pistol grip, firing hundreds of rounds of 12 pellet 1280fps police buckshot, dropping the gun on the hard floor and having it land RIGHT on the light (this is steel framed 870 with a fully loaded Mesa Tactical 8 round side saddle - 14 rounds out the door). I have activated that switch thousands of times at least and it still looks and functions as new. It's the absolute best deal in firearms lights out there... period... and trust me, I own and have tried out MANY dedicated weapons systems. The Blackhawk Serpa thing is junk. I resold it on Ebay after about 2 days of owning it - purple beam, flimy design, offset light... Don't even bother with anything cheaper than a TLR-3, which is excellent (and much easier to change the batteries on). I had a Surefire X200 that I was extremely disappointed in. It seemed poorly finished and flimsy compared to the TLR-1. Holes were drilled slightly off center, screw threads still had burrs. The Anodize wasn't even, and I couldn't even tell any real difference in output for a light that cost twice as much. Streamlight's dedicated weapon lights are the only ones in their lineup that I can recommend over Surefire. OK.. enough....

Shao