Help upgrading Coast Lenser 6-chip

keith p

Newly Enlightened
A buddy of mine handed me a Coast Lenser 6 X 5mm led light. It runs off of 3X AAA in series. Direct drive. There is an in-line resistor that reads "2R0".

Any ideas for upgrading? Can I replace the resistor with a smaller one to drive it harder? Or add a driver? (I have a few drivers laying around from other upgrades)

He wanted a warmer light, but I don't see warm high-output 5MM leds available any where convenient.

The light looks like this:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just get a new light. That host will not have many of the things needed to efficiently run a high power LED, or support a good cell type/chemistry.

Other than soldering in new LED's, there isn't a whole lot you can do...

Get a new light, and stay away from Coast/LEDLenser models. They're ok, but way over-priced for what they are...

keith p

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate your advise. I bought my friend a nice Q5 CR123 for x-mas. He just has this light laying around and we would like to dabble with it.

I'm willing to solder in new leds, if some one can steer me to a supplier.

Would changing the resistor from 2ohm to 1.5ohm help?

The Dane

Enlightened
I appreciate your advise. I bought my friend a nice Q5 CR123 for x-mas. He just has this light laying around and we would like to dabble with it.

I'm willing to solder in new leds, if some one can steer me to a supplier.

Would changing the resistor from 2ohm to 1.5ohm help
?

If that was a gain then why dident they do it in the first place?
A resistor is a crude regualtion. When amps is high so is the resistence thus lowering the LED voltage. When amps is low reistance is low and voltage is higher. "Even" light through discharge, el cheapo.

The only way of getting more light is to install brighter LED's, but it's like peeing in your pants to keep warm, ok at first but in the long run a crappy idea (Waste of money).

Just my $0.02

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way of getting more light is to install brighter LED's, but it's like peeing in your pants to keep warm, ok at first but in the long run a crappy idea (Waste of money).

Just my $0.02

:crackup:

the LED Lenser you have is a pretty old model, the amount of effort you put in to mod in vs the results you might get arent going to be worth the effort. Keep the light as it is, use it and enjoy it, if you want something brighter, there are tons of choices out there right now.

In fact, the 3 x AAAs that are used to power that light could power 3 different AAA lights, E01, LD01, maratac, iTp, Liteflux which all use one AAA cell and a few of those are multimode AAA lights too.

With the E01 being the cheapest at $15 shipped why would i want to waste all that time effort and money modding an outdated light if i cannot achieve something that beats current tech.