Which is better, Led flashlight with diffuser or a LED lantern.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I just arrived from a Mt hiking trip and I think I need a diffuser or a lantern on my next trip.

Which is actually better for a Backpacker like me?

I already ordered a flashlight diffuser but I'm still thinking it might just not enough and wanting to get a lantern.

What do you guys think?:poke:

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight and diffuser can serve as a flashlight and lantern so that you would not need to pack a bulky lantern giving more room for extra batteries.

If you you are still convinced you need a lantern, I would suggest a headlamp.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping, I would definitely use a lantern.

For backpacking, I would keep it light and stick to a flashlight, a diffuser for the flashlight, and a headlamp that, preferably, runs the same type of cells as the flashlight.

EDIT: I should add that, for this purpose, I prefer a "cone" type diffuser--not a flat one. The cone type are a better "area light" substitute for a lantern.

Ian2381

Enlightened
A flashlight and diffuser can serve as a flashlight and lantern so that you would not need to pack a bulky lantern giving more room for extra batteries.

If you you are still convinced you need a lantern, I would suggest a headlamp.

I already have a headlamp but during my last trip, My friends Lantern is more effective than my headlamp focused in one side.
I need something bright that lights all angles since this will be placed on the middle of our camp. I just thought if the diffuser can already serve this purpose or a lantern will still be the best option.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
How about both? ;)

Seriously, the Solarforce LT-1 lantern kit does a pretty good job of converting a P60-type light (SureFire 6P, for example) into a lantern. I've paired mine with a small pocket-type tripod (the lantern head is drilled & tapped for attaching to one of these) and I'm very pleased with it. This plus a Malkoff M60 makes for a pretty useful combo. And I've got tons of P60-compatible lights & cells to fuel it.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
How about both? ;)

Seriously, the Solarforce LT-1 lantern kit does a pretty good job of converting a P60-type light (SureFire 6P, for example) into a lantern. I've paired mine with a small pocket-type tripod (the lantern head is drilled & tapped for attaching to one of these) and I'm very pleased with it. This plus a Malkoff M60 makes for a pretty useful combo. And I've got tons of P60-compatible lights & cells to fuel it.

I think Its heavy for back packing but I'm considering it, I'm still looking for the best option.
thanks.:grin2:

Vesper

Enlightened
I would prefer a diffused flashlight/headlamp for the most part, but sometimes you just need that big 360 degree lighting especially if there are multiple people, kids, etc.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping, I would definitely use a lantern.

For backpacking, I would keep it light and stick to a flashlight, a diffuser for the flashlight, and a headlamp that, preferably, runs the same type of cells as the flashlight.

EDIT: I should add that, for this purpose, I prefer a "cone" type diffuser--not a flat one. The cone type are a better "area light" substitute for a lantern.

+1

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I recently found what I think is a great diffuser - the ball out of a roll-on deodorant.

It balances very nicely on top of my NDI and provides a very even 360 degrees of illumination. It would be easy to adapt one of these to fit on the end of a slim light - hot gluing a ring of foam to it springs to mind. Then it would stay in place and could be used at any angle.

Here are a couple pics - the second one is lighting up a whole room and was providing all the illumination:

Difuser2.jpg

Difuser1.jpg

Ian2381

Enlightened
I think I'll be getting a diffuser and a lantern and decide which to bring on my next trip. I wanted the Solarforce LT1 lantern kit but don't want my brightest light to be used as a lantern in a middle of the camp at med mode, preferred it in my hands at max.
The lantern or a flashlight with diffuser will be in the middle of the camp for the duration of the night and long runtime is a must. :wave:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Homemade stuff are more fun, try to make something like this:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201889 post#19
It works great and is free.
Then you have both a flashlight and a lantern, and you save weight. In practice, that means you can carry more booze:poke: I'm surrounded by mountains where i live, so when i go hunting / fishing etc, i go vertical:( On every trip i always curse any "extra" weight in my backpack during the hardest parts. Except the booze:tinfoil:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends on the use, but from the sound of it you're talking about a camp light... in that case a lantern is hard to beat. Rayovac has some very interesting cheap ones with plenty of runtime and one of them isn't all that big. The old style propane lanterns are VERY bright and use the same gas canisters as most portable stoves... but they probably get very hot, and I personally wouldn't carry one of them mean suckers in a backpack... too bulky and the glass could break

For hiking, Nothing beats a good headlamp in my opinion, unless you're walking with a bunch of people and don't have enough flashlights to go around...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd play with making some diffusers for at least three lights in the camping group. I like that roll-on ball idea. Ping-pong balls work fairly well, too.

Geoff

Ian2381

Enlightened
It really depends on the use, but from the sound of it you're talking about a camp light... in that case a lantern is hard to beat. Rayovac has some very interesting cheap ones with plenty of runtime and one of them isn't all that big. The old style propane lanterns are VERY bright and use the same gas canisters as most portable stoves... but they probably get very hot, and I personally wouldn't carry one of them mean suckers in a backpack... too bulky and the glass could break

For hiking, Nothing beats a good headlamp in my opinion, unless you're walking with a bunch of people and don't have enough flashlights to go around...

You got it right, I needed something like a camplight and yes I'm with a bunch of people without flashlights (50% at least).:shrug:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well a lantern cant become a spot light but a handheld spot can become an area light with a diffuser. So I am gonna have to go with an LED handheld and a diffuser. My favorite for that purpose so far is my Surefire LX2 with an F04 diffuser.

Egsise

Banned
I use Fenix diffuser tip in my Fenix TK20 and MG PLI ww as lantern.
TK20 the medium mode is 45 lumens and with Eneloops the runtime is ~9 hours, the light does not get even warm.
45 lumens is not much when you use a diffuser, but with full 150 lumen output the light warms up and the runtime is only ~80 minutes.
MG PLI ww low is 40lm/8h, med is 110lm/3h and high is 300lm/50min, with 300 lumens the light gets hot.
The good thing is that the diffuser tip size, weight and price is very small, and it is nearly indestructible.

Lanterns give you 100-300 lumens, they don't get hot and the runtimes are longer due C or D size batteries.
RayOVac Sportsman Xtreme 300 Lumen Lantern would be my choice, bright with good runtime and they cost only 25-35$.
Downside is, with 3xD cells it's huge compared to diffuser cone.

Like NutSAK said, lanterns are great for camping and diffuser cones are great at hiking.

jankj

Enlightened
On every trip i always curse any "extra" weight in my backpack during the hardest parts. Except the booze:tinfoil:

One added benefit of booze is that if you're seriously complaining about a heavy load you KNOW it makes most sense to spill out the booze then and there... (don't need it, bad for your health and so on). Since we're not making this trip to make sense, but to enjoy ourselves, the conclusion is astonishing simple: Shut your wining (or else your booze is gone...)

There. Simple. Once this astonishing principle is accepted, no one EVER dares think his backpack is heavy if there is any booze in it...

On topic, I think zebralights provide very good area illumination. The small single point light source is a bit harsh to stare at, so place it a bit out of the way of everyones field of view. Hang 'em high and no worries.

A diffusor gives a less intense, larger light source so anything with a diffusor is less irritating to look at than an undiffused light. Me, I'll never CARRY a camping lantern - too much bulk and weight. In my opinion, lanterns are just diffused light sources with an easy to use interface. Not bad, but that can be done much more bulk/weight efficient with some home made remedies applied to the lights you bring along anyway.

Last edited: