Assistance Picking Light <$75

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
I've been into Lasers for a long time, but just recently found a love for Flashlights thanks to a Surefire gift (low end - I believe an incandecent G2).

Now, I'm looking for something new!
This will be used for two primary uses.

1. Jogging at night.
For this I would like two modes. The first would be a fairly low "don't trip" mode that would be used for extended periods. The second would effectively light up the street for a couple of blocks and blind anyone within range ;-) Useful for checking out new areas, or if I hear something.... For this, I think I would need a combination of good throw and good flood - probably leaning towards throw. I can always move the light left/right as needed, but distance I can't do anything about (except keep jogging!)

2. Compare with friend 'Mine is brighter.' Hey, I'm a nerd - I need something with 'Wow.' :)

Battery type does not really matter to me, I'm mainly looking for a decently small (pocket size) light that is bright! If the battery is an expensive one (123) I'd prefer 4+ hours of use. My current SureFire is like 1 hour... I've spent more on batteries I think than the person who got it for me spent on the light!

So far I had settled on the Quark 123-2 R5; however, I have not been impressed with their customer service so far.
I actually already ordered the light due to a promised ship date of 1/15/2010. This date came and went, and now their website shows a ship date of 2/1/2010. Two e-mails to them have gone unanswered...

Is this light one of the better ones for my uses? If the consensus is that this light is the best for my uses, I'll wait another 2 weeks (sigh) and hope it ships. If there are better suggestions I'll gladly cancel my order and buy elsewhere.

Thanks for reading!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i like quarks (got three.. ti aa, 2cr123 and my edc aa tactical)
so i dont think you have made a bad choice.

but as a side note about spending money on batteries:

how about starting to use rechargable cells? i use them in all my lights by default

my 2 cr123 has a 17670 li-ion in it. and my AA lights have either nimh 1.2v in them or the 14500li-ion battery. and there is a rechargable rcr123 too ( they are called also 16340) you do need to buy a charger and couple set of batteries..but then you dont have to spend any more money on the primaries.

i only use the primary batteries like cr123 or normal AA batteries only as spare/backup batteries if the rechargable one in the flashlight does goes down and i dont happen to have a recharged one to swap in. (i do swap them and recharge them all periodically just to be sure they are all charged up)

other time when i have a primary battery like cr123 or lithium energizer AA in a light is when its very freezin cold outside or very hot. (like in the flashlights that i keep in my car glovebox or in my camping rucksack)

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie at this, 100%. My only knowledge is from reading 100s of posts on CPF over the last week or two!
I thought that the rechargeable batteries were not able to sustain the highest lumen output?

I did finally get a response from 4-Sevens. Not a fan of how long it took them (first e-mailed on Friday) but at least they did respond! I still have to 'hope' that it is shipped at the end of the month.

I feel naked without a good light! And my SureFire got lost in our last move... My cheap-o lights just aren't the same!

awid

Newly Enlightened
Are you looking into making this a hobby? If you don't want to deal with all the mumbo jumbo batteries like the CR123's and 18650's I'd recommend a Quark 2AA.

edit: Where do you jog that requires a flashlight? No streetlights or something? I never take mine on runs(although I'd love a reason to give my lights some use :p)

Last edited:

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
Are you looking into making this a hobby? If you don't want to deal with all the mumbo jumbo batteries like the CR123's and 18650's I'd recommend a Quark 2AA.

I've never even heard of 18650 before - is that common?
Hobby... Well, that depends :). It is 100% the kind of thing that I would do as a hobby.... Just depends on hwo much money I can sneak around the wife :).

flashfiend

Enlightened
If you like your G2 how about a drop in replacement to change it to an LED? +1 on using a 17670 Li-Ion rechargeable with it.

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
If you like your G2 how about a drop in replacement to change it to an LED? +1 on using a 17670 Li-Ion rechargeable with it.

Apparently since I am new, these have to be screened... Thus, my responses are delayed!
Anyway, the problem is that my G2 is either lost, stolen (had help moving) or in a box... Somewhere....

Honestly, I was going to go to Lowes and pick up a G2L for $63... But the 80 Lumens it had vs 230 Lumens that the Quark is supposed to have made me say "More = Better!!!"

I don't understand all of the battery terminology...
Is there a post that explains the differences both in terminologies, price, and effectiveness? I couldn't find one in my initial search.

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened

edit: Where do you jog that requires a flashlight? No streetlights or something? I never take mine on runs(although I'd love a reason to give my lights some use :p)

Very few streetlights - many side-streets don't have them or some of the more 'country like' roads. Lots of Animals more than anything (dead, in the road... Or alive off to the side).

This is one reason I want a fairly small/lightweight light. Whatever light I get will most likely be in my pocket all the time. In fact, just a couple hours ago I wish I had my SureFire. Power went off where I worked and I was trying to fiddle with the Generator in a dark room. Cheapo lights just don't do the trick!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did finally get a response from 4-Sevens. Not a fan of how long it took them (first e-mailed on Friday) but at least they did respond! I still have to 'hope' that it is shipped at the end of the month.

Not that i am condoning delays in replying to emails but 4sevens is a popular site here and possibly worldwide, i can imagine that their inboxes are deluged with emails from many many customers who are probably asking the same thing as you. But thankfully they do indeed reply.

I hope you find your G2, it's a great light. I lost one and got myself another. There are many options for your G2, they use a drop in size which is known here as a P60 drop in (or a D26 drop in). I exclusively use rechargeables in mine as the cost of CR123s in singapore is about US$5.25 each (OUCH) and have no complaints thus far.

If you're just starting out, why not head over to Shiningbeam and take a look at the lights there? Bryan from shiningbeam is very helpful, responds quickly too and his shipping times are fast. Had an order that shipped within 24 hours of me makin paypal payment.

Oh and :welcome:

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
Not that i am condoning delays in replying to emails but 4sevens is a popular site here and possibly worldwide, i can imagine that their inboxes are deluged with emails from many many customers who are probably asking the same thing as you. But thankfully they do indeed reply.

I've always been a fan of communication. If someone tells me "I'll be there at 8," they either better be there BY 8, or call me and let me know they are running late so I'm not stuck waiting...
I demand and expect this communication from my employees. (Set a deadline for a project - if it can't be done on time THAT IS FINE.. If you let me know ahead of time and give me a new expected date)!

Anyway - the e-mail was polite and hopefully they will follow through with the new date posted. I will be livid if it isn't shipped on the 2/1/10 (unless they contact me ahead of time). Alway under promise and over deliver. You'll always have happy customers!
Over promise and under deliver - you'll **** people off.

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
I hope you find your G2, it's a great light. I lost one and got myself another. There are many options for your G2, they use a drop in size which is known here as a P60 drop in (or a D26 drop in). I exclusively use rechargeables in mine as the cost of CR123s in singapore is about US$5.25 each (OUCH) and have no complaints thus far.

If you're just starting out, why not head over to Shiningbeam and take a look at the lights there? Bryan from shiningbeam is very helpful, responds quickly too and his shipping times are fast. Had an order that shipped within 24 hours of me makin paypal payment.

Oh and :welcome:

I have to buy some electrical equipment from Lowes soon - if the bill is high enough I may just sneak in a SureFire ;-). If I do that - and get two lights within such a short period.... I think I'll fit right in here ;-).

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
1. Jogging at night.
For this I would like two modes. The first would be a fairly low "don't trip" mode that would be used for extended periods. The second would effectively light up the street for a couple of blocks and blind anyone within range ;-) Useful for checking out new areas, or if I hear something.... For this, I think I would need a combination of good throw and good flood - probably leaning towards throw. I can always move the light left/right as needed, but distance I can't do anything about (except keep jogging!)

......Battery type does not really matter to me, I'm mainly looking for a decently small (pocket size) light that is bright! If the battery is an expensive one (123) I'd prefer 4+ hours of use.

.......So far I had settled on the Quark 123-2 R5;

........I actually already ordered the light due to a promised ship date of 1/15/2010. This date came and went, and now their website shows a ship date of 2/1/2010.
I personally reckon the 123-2 R2 version would be more appropriate. It's a bit "throwy-er" than the R5 and cheaper. I'ev got the 123-2 and it's really good. I find it very pocketable though admittedly I'm not a sporty person, in fact I don't run at all unless someone's shooting at me but I think it would do a good job of lighting your footfalls and immediate surroundings on a medium brightness level and lighting down the street a way on turbo. Best point is that you don't have to wait for February (or later) and can order it today.

I run mine on a 17670 battery that I got along with an $18 charger from 4sevens at the same time I ordered the torch. It all arrived in Australia seven days later.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally reckon the 123-2 R2 version would be more appropriate. It's a bit "throwy-er" than the R5 and cheaper.

I agree, you should look at the R2 and not R5 if your leaning towards a bit more throw and the R2 Quarks still offers plenty of flood.

About the 47's delay I know it can be very frustrating but hang around here long enough and you will find it's somewhat common. I am not bashing 47's quite the opposite it seems those dates our a educated guess. Sometimes the lights they are suppose to get from manufacture does not get shipped in time or for some reason the lights get delayed, its all a normal part of the flashlight game. They get stuck in the same situation you are in awaiting a shipment, when they get the lights they won't forget you.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
123-2 R5 Turbo?
I have that torch too. It's got a "pointier" centre hotspot than my 123-2 R2 but throws only a beetle's leg further. It does have a bit brighter spill zone which may be a help to you but there is also a penalty in that it has a larger head so not quite as easy to pocket. The Turbo's are a very solid feeling torch and don't seem to get very hot when used on max. It has been said that many have a "donut" issue (mine did but I improved it) but most people seem to not be worried about it.

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
I have that torch too. It's got a "pointier" centre hotspot than my 123-2 R2 but throws only a beetle's leg further. It does have a bit brighter spill zone which may be a help to you but there is also a penalty in that it has a larger head so not quite as easy to pocket. The Turbo's are a very solid feeling torch and don't seem to get very hot when used on max. It has been said that many have a "donut" issue (mine did but I improved it) but most people seem to not be worried about it.
For my first real flashlight I don't think I'm worried about a 'perfect' beam :).
I got the 123-2 Turbo (R5), and it already shipped!
4Sevens have redeemed themselves with that quick turn-around!

What modes do you have yours programmed to? Obviously, I won't know for sure until I get mine what modes I'll like... But I'm think Medium/Max will be my settings.
Of course, when I FIRST get it I will program it to High/Max.
High looks to be equivelent (maybe a little better) than a standard SureFire 6p (friends light).
I'll compare mine on High with his... Then.. Wait.. Woops... That wasn't the right setting "Bam. Here's Max!"

............... I feel so nerdy. And I am a nerd through and through - so that takes a lot to make me feel nerdy.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
They usually ship pretty damned quick. Mine have always shipped within twelve hours of order (and I usually order about 1 AM their time).

The 123-2 Turbo is a really nicely built torch and has a great style and size about it I reckon. I have mine set to Max on tight and Med on loose.

I've noticed that whilst it doesn't throw a lot further than the regular 123-2 R2 on a normal clear night it does do a lot better when there's a lot of dust in the air (often the case out here). Seems to cut through a lot better because of the much more narrow beam not scattering light in front of the eyes as much.

A good choice.

Warp

Enlightened
All that you need is a Fenix TK10 or TK11.
Simple as that.

He wants pocket size.

I don't know how many here consider the 1.3" diamter head of the TK10 to be truly pocketable.

That is why I am looking at a PD30 or Quark 123^2 and currently carry a P3D-CE. It/they actually fit in my pocket quite well