Surefire M6 now in the LED section

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
My M6 is finished (thank you LED Zeppelin!) and on it's way home. I always liked this light, but 500lm for 20 minutes, using 6 CR123's was a bit pricey for the output. Now, it's using 21st Century technology.

s2tl51.jpg

2rcqwxj.jpg

I can't wait to get the old girl in the dark!

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
This is what I had done (LED Zeppelin did all the work):

- MZXR-7 module (LED Zeppelin)
- 7x Cree XRE R2 WH
- 7x McR19XR reflector
- Blue Shark/Remora board (new revision)
- 3 X 17650 in FM holder
- AW clicky (switch conversion)

Stats: Vf of 23.5v @ 900mA
Lo - 20 mA per LED
Med - 160mA
Hi - 970 mA

Estimating 1700lm (1200lm OTF)

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I am hoping to be able to get some beam shots this weekend. I am actually not the photographer in the family, my wife is; so I'm hoping to talk her into doing some exposures for me.

I'm anxious to compare this new beast (LZM6-7R2?) with my Boxer 24W. On paper, the Boxer comes out on top, but I have a feeling it won't be by that much.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Here's more detail of the LED Zep's heatsinks:

dsc1779yx4.jpg

The 7 led unit is the second from the right.

Here it is populated (not my build):
dsc1951ao5.jpg

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Yes, I think this lights form factor could support something truly awesome with the leading edge emitters out today. The SST-90 will need a fairly large host to stretch it's legs and produce decent throw.

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Tell me about it. 3x AW2600 186550s pushing 13-14A to a SST-90 would break 3,000 emitter lumens (and likely 2,000+ OTF) until temperature and battery sag kicked in. Not bad for a $45 emitter.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
My light is on the postal worker's truck. :twothumbs

Unfortunately, it's insured - and no one is home to sign for it - so I'll have to pick it up at the PO Saturday morning. :mad:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
That looks amazing, Very nice work also. I dont look in the modified section much, But Ive never seen emitters soldered like that.(just a small solder point)
Im going to be waiting for some beamshots.

jburon

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering who exactly did the conversion for your m6 and how did it cost.
jim

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
lOOKS NICE BUT i WOULD HAD OPTED FOR 7 XPG-R5.

It's not quite that easy. The reflectors are not made for the XPG and the emitter focus is not the same. Someday, after products are made specifically for newer emitters, I might consider upgrading. Others with LZ's heatsink have modified them various optics and reflectors to modify the beam to their own liking.

But for now, I have what I wanted; extended run-time, multiple output levels, rechargeable options, shock and water-resistance and triple the output of my original M6. I have HID lights for other tasks, but this light is still smaller than any of them (even my Boxer 24W). It also has a beautiful tint (did I mention I went home to get my light from the postal dude?) from the WH's, but the throw is probably limited by the small reflectors.

But that doesn't matter to me. It is what I expected it to be -- and then some.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Yes, LED Zeppelin built my light.

I am in town this evening and have only about 500' targets to light up. This new light throws much better than I thought with a fairly tight beam (just a little wider than the Boxer 24W). It lit up targets out to 500' just as well as my HID) Color rendition is fantastic (especially compared to the very cool HID) and there is a huge amount of spill (much more than the Boxer). I'll have to get out in the country to get some real idea of how it throws. But I'm a happy camper so far.

BTW, having 3 levels makes this a much more usable flashlight!

Last edited: