Need help choosing a Drop in for a L2m R5 vs MCE.

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
Im looing for a drop in with some decent throw and spill.
I have a R2 single mode at the moment and its great for throw but i think for edc you need a bit of both.
If you had to decide between a R5 or an MCE in a Solarforce L2M what one would you choose and why?.(Both being roughly the same price).
I know i will get the + in the middle of the MCE drop in but how bad is it?. Ive heard everythng from not at all noticable in real use too being really bad.
I was looking at the SST-50 drop in but ive been told a single cr123 wont be enough to drive it properly so that doesnt seem like an option.
I only have ebay to shop from atm so any links to any drop in you can recomend appreciated.
Im a noob:sick2: and dont really understand why i need a 186500 to run a sst-50 but thats the max of my knowledge as far as flashlights go so any info would be well apprecieted.
I also dont know what amp the driver is driving these bulbs at but they both have a maximum 4.2v rating.
Again run time isnt as important as much as is a perfect beam and also some extra lumens are the top of my list.
Thanks in advance for any info.:thumbsup:

jake25

Enlightened
IMO, the MCE gets too hot too quickly to be useful. In real world applications I wouldn't be able to run most MCE dropins for more than 5 minutes, 10 minutes would be pushing it. With a R5, you could comfortably run it for 15-20 minutes or more before it starts really warming up.

I think having some sort of useable light for a longer period is more useful than having a good amount of light for a very short period of time. I would choose the XPG.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends / What are your needs ...

Runtime ? XP-E R2
Output ? XP-G R5
Throw ? XR-E R2

Mini Blaster ? MC-E SSC P7 , real battery drainers .. 1.8A to 2A current drain with a decent CR123A @ 4.2v
5 to 600mA is not going to last very long .
Even my little A20 XP-G R3 is a real battery hog and drains CR123A's real fast .
Which is why a lot of EDC are current limited to 0.8A or there abouts .
+ you would be stressing the little CR123A really bad @ 1.8-2A .
[ Important to some ]

PS / I own P60 drop ins in , XR-E R2 , XP-E R2 , XP-G R5 , SSC P4 , SSC P7 , and until recently a MC-E [ which I didnt use as it was so ring'y ] as well as Luxeon K2 TFFC and Diamond Dragon .
XR-E R2 is a good option even today , dont discount it .
XP-G R5 , great output 300+ Lumens , and throws 100meters or more
SSC P7 - you want 18650 ...
XP-E R2 , Throws better than XP-G , but output is lax , now if only they came out with a XP-E R5 , id be all over it !
For you !!! XR-E R2 , or XP-G R5

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
single battery applications kinda stink, but you might be able to talk nailbender into building an sst-50 dropin designed for a single cr123...you'll be under powering the LED but that cures the heat problem right? MCE is going to be very floody, hot, and eat batteries for breakfast, your best best is probably the R5, but i love those SST lights...(i have the 90 in my 6P...beautiful)

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
single battery applications kinda stink, but you might be able to talk nailbender into building an sst-50 dropin designed for a single cr123...you'll be under powering the LED but that cures the heat problem right? MCE is going to be very floody, hot, and eat batteries for breakfast, your best best is probably the R5, but i love those SST lights...(i have the 90 in my 6P...beautiful)
Thanks for all the info.
I think im going to push the button on a R5.
Seems the best option all things considered.

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
I just got the 3 mode MCE drop in from DX.
The only had a 5 mode or single mode R5 which is rated up to 18v.
I dont need all they modes and came to the conclusion that i am only going to be using it on high for maybe 3-4 min max then i can drop it down to med or low.
Im sure the extra lumens will come in handy.
Ive read that the DX pill has been tested on hear to around 350 on high so even with battery drop it should still be a pocket floodlight.
With modes that suit my needs best.
Just hope the + isnt that bad.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i can't speak to DX, i haven't purchased from them, but let us know what you think when it arrives!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the XP-G R5 single mode from DX today to tinker with and then swap the driver for a 3-mode (L/M/H).

Hopefully it won't be a green monster like so many R5s seem to be.