Aspheric Lens with SST-50?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is it feasible to use an aspheric lens with a big led like an SST-50? If all of that output could be focused with an aspheric wouldn't it throw much further than an X-RE with an aspheric?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
From what I hear, surface brightness is pretty much the only thing that counts with an aspheric. An emitter that's 4 times as large emitting 4 times the light will focus with an aspheric to a beam that's 4 times as large and just as bright. The XR-E beats the SST-50 in surface brightness unless your driving it far too hard for a smallish light, so you'll get a bigger hotspot with less throw.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a pretty sweet wall of light though:naughty:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to what Josh said, the surface brightness of the XR-E exceeds that of the SST-50. Same reason that XP-G lights aren't as good in the throw department compared to XR-Es.

That said, I've come to prefer a slightly wider hotspot for general use, so you might still find it adequate for your needs.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
An aspheric is a bad idea for a floodlight. You lose a lot more of the output then with a regular reflector. Just get a regular one, a DBS turbohead or TLS will easily get you over 20k lux with the SST-50.

recDNA

Flashaholic
+1 to what Josh said, the surface brightness of the XR-E exceeds that of the SST-50. Same reason that XP-G lights aren't as good in the throw department compared to XR-Es.

That said, I've come to prefer a slightly wider hotspot for general use, so you might still find it adequate for your needs.

Thanks, I figured there must be a reason nobody makes one. I bigger spot that throws almost as far as X-RE does sound cool. Too bad it has to be square...still...I'd love an attachment lens with an Olight SST-50 to get better throw and a big square.

Latest posts