E2 Outdoorsman

Minimoog

Enlightened
I just thought I would write a little about this light which had become one that I would now never be without.

Whilst LED technology has been eddying and swirling in a rather confusing way, the standard Outdoorsman light has plugged along offereing me a wonderful walking light for dark country roads, warns motorists well in advance of my presence and cuts through mist and fog better than the refraction from some LED's.

It has saved the day more than once and offers a feeling of security when walking out with it. The output sounds low, but in real life it is just perfect.

Does anyone else here still use their E2O on a regular basis?

Ian

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I would write a little about this light which had become one that I would now never be without.

Whilst LED technology has been eddying and swirling in a rather confusing way, the standard Outdoorsman light has plugged along offereing me a wonderful walking light for dark country roads, warns motorists well in advance of my presence and cuts through mist and fog better than the refraction from some LED's.

It has saved the day more than once and offers a feeling of security when walking out with it. The output sounds low, but in real life it is just perfect.

Does anyone else here still use their E2O on a regular basis?

Ian
Plenty of us still use the E2O (MN02 lamp assembly). As you said, it is just perfect.

There is a thread going on here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/257141

Cheers!

knightrider

Enlightened
I'm using the MN02 a lot in my E2E. The E2O is a nice light though with the longer clip and twisty switch - I wish I had an E2O versus my E2E.

You have good taste in lights!

computernut

Enlightened
I have a E2E HA-BK that I was using an MN02 in until it blew. Until I get another one ordered I'm using an HO-E2A. I tend to use the F04 diffuser and it gives a nice even glow.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2O w/twisty switch has been all over the world with me. I only use this one for holiday travel! I pack the higher output MN03 LA in it's dedicated SC3.

I have an E2e kit with MN02 lamps that I use quite often. I pair it (or my E2D) with an Arc AAA. It is my "Casual Travel Package."

Cheers

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2O is one of the best lights ever made. It should be noted that the later models did in fact come with the Z57 fail clicky. I'm not sure, but it sounded like it was insinuated earlier in the thread that all E2O's came with Z52 twisties, but they absolutely did not. The Z57 fail clicky was produced from about 2004-2006 and it came on all E-series lights including the E2e, E1e, E2O, and E2OL.

That early revision of the Z57 (and Z61 on black hard anodized lights) was a piece of junk (internally). I don't think any Surefire connoisseur here will argue against that. The current revision of Z57 from late 2006 to current is an excellent piece of hardware. It was updated sometime in 2007 to include a metal retaining collander.

I use the MN02 all the time, it is an awesome lamp. It is especially valuable camping and in extreme conditions, it is probably the first E-series lamp I will go to in extreme conditions. I still have an E2O sealed in the box from the early 2000's with the twisty and it's one of my prize Surefire possessions. :)

Last edited:

knightrider

Enlightened
The E2O is one of the best lights ever made. It should be noted that the later models did in fact come with the Z57 fail clicky. I'm not sure, but it sounded like it was insinuated earlier in the thread that all E2O's came with Z52 twisties, but they absolutely did not. The Z57 fail clicky was produced from about 2004-2006 and it came on all E-series lights including the E2e, E1e, E2O, and E2OL.

Really? That kind of sucks. I have always wanted a twisty for my e-series. Every E2O I have ever seen had the twisty, interesting that they switched to the clicky with it. Always appreciated the reliability factor the twisty would provide to the e-series. Wish I could get one still.

Thanks for the info because now if one springs up on ebay or something I probably won't go for it since I wouldn't be guaranteed a twisty. :(

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks for the thoughts.

Well, mine has the twisty. I purchaced a click switch around 2006 and it failed after two weeks - it is now using the twist switch again. I wonder if SureFire would send me a replacement clicky - might be worth enquiring if they have upgraded it...

I must admit that I too have one sealed and unused - the longer pocket clip is very useful and although it is only cosmetic, I prefer the 'Outdoorsman' name to 'Executive'. the Executive moniker puts me in mind of stuffy meeting rooms, Filofaxes and hotels of dubious merit. I do have one (E2e) though - in black HA - but it is the Outdoorsman that I grab to go.

I will check out that link now.

Ian

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soundbox, the current version of the Z57 is the 4th generation, and it's much more reliable.

Also, they'd be very likely to send you a new one, if you'd like to try the G4 clicky.