My new Nitecore Extreme is acting up help me please

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone.

I got my second NEX the other day after losing my first one about 2 years ago, I decided to go with the R2 model and boy is it bright on RCR's.

Anyway it flickers when its on the user mode only on some levels it also turns off occasionaly when switching from max to user mode, I know if you turn the head just a little bit it gets confused and starts going to strobe and back to user but im not turning the head slowly, im doing it withen the 0.5 seconds it needs.

I have cleaned all the contact points, changed the tailcap switch, tried several batteries but it still flickers, just a few lumens up and down from my set level, really annoying and not too reliable if you ask me.

Any ideas on what might fix this problem:thinking:

Thanks everyone

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have already changed the switch, cleaned everything and tried different batteries I am afraid the only solution is to return it to the dealer and ask for a new one.

The only time my NEX acts funny is when the head is between tight and loose.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried different batteries?
Is there a pattern where the problem occurs for certain batteries?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems to me that it only flickers at certain levels using an RCR123, i've tested this by leaving at the same level and trying a primary and it doesnt do it with a primary but at other levels the primary also flickers, this isnt the biggest problem its the turning off completely between max and user.

Also where would I send it, nitecore.com. Im from the UK and tried sending it to the UK distro at nitecore.co.uk but they said since it wasnt bought in the UK I they cant take it, I thought it was meant to be worldwide nitecore warrenty.

I have emailed the ebay seller to see what he can doo, thing is I already gave my feedback only just today finding the problem.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you mentioned it flickers using RCR and primary, my guess the fault lies in the contact within the head.

If you got it from an ebay dealer, inform them the issue. If it's an individual, well, you could also inform him/her. If the individual is willing to refund or help in any way, fine. Since Nitecore UK can't help in any way, I would contact Nitecore directly if I were you, ie China ([email protected]). If this is your option, be prepared that it might a bit of time for the light to reach them, for them to repair it and for them to send it back.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Zeruel, try first to sort it out with the seller if necessary involving Ebay in the process.

Since however the Nitecore warranty includes the possibility of sending the light directly to them you can also do so. My experience is only with Lumapower for a light I bought from Ricky that needed service; it took a total of four weeks which was not so bad.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Seems to me you need to return it to the seller you bought it from. I think it's a bit unrealistic to buy something from eBay and then try to return it to a different retailer !

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ moonshadow yes but ebay dont warrent the light Nitecore do.

Looks like Ill just have to wait and see what the ebay seller has to say and believe me posting to china is the last thing I want to do.

Thanks guys.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore aforementioned is not a retailer. They are the manufacturer who is suppose to honour the international warranty.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I think there's been a little misunderstanding here: AFAIK the UK retailer mentioned is just that. The lights are manufactured in China, not by the UK distributor.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you still have bad contact on the user mode. make sure the spring inside the head has a tight fit over the led module.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah ha I just took the head apart and found a dirty contact between the outer washer and the light engine, it was covered in black goop, wiped it off with a cotton bud (thats all I have to hand) will get some deoxite at some point. I will see how I get on with this fix, thanks jorn, never thought of that.