Help me choose my first flashlight

Please help me decide on which light to purchase.

• Quark Mini123

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Quark Mini AA

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Quark 123 R5

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Quark AA R5

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Quark 123 R2

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other: Please specify

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for my first "real" EDC flashlight. I will use it everday for minor tasks and as a SD flashlight. I was going to buy Fenix or Nitecore until I found 4Sevens. From what I can gather from the forums, the quality between these 3 are about equal. Let me know if I am wrong about this.

I think I am going to go with 4Sevens because of the 10 yr warranty. I just can't decide which one to get.

Also is the Tactical version of the Quark generally preferred to the regular?

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would go for one of the Quark Turbos, with a 1xAA body if you want something smaller. But I'm not you and probably don't want the same things out of a light-duty EDC light as you do, given that the MiNis even made it on your list.

Basically, you're going to need to decide what type of batteries you want to run and what size of light you're comfortable carrying -- since those are highly individual choices, I don't really think that results from a poll of other people will help you...

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I assume by "SD" flashlight you mean self-defense?

The light I would choose for everyday tasks would be very, very different from anything I would consider a self-defense flashlight (not that I buy into the SD flashlight concept all that much in general...).

For everyday tasks, the Mini series is great- easy to carry and bright and a nice floody beam. Not even remotely a self-defense light though.

The Quark regular and Quark tactical series are good all-around lights.

As to whether the tactical version is preferred to the regular, it just depends on your use. Personally I find the Tactical UI to be nicer to use because you don't ever have to fiddle with it in day to day use. However the regular is nice for allowing access to all the brightness levels without having to reprogram it. Highly a personal choice.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any 4Sevens light that you choose.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I assume by "SD" flashlight you mean self-defense?

The light I would choose for everyday tasks would be very, very different from anything I would consider a self-defense flashlight (not that I buy into the SD flashlight concept all that much in general...).

For everyday tasks, the Mini series is great- easy to carry and bright and a nice floody beam. Not even remotely a self-defense light though.

The Quark regular and Quark tactical series are good all-around lights.

As to whether the tactical version is preferred to the regular, it just depends on your use. Personally I find the Tactical UI to be nicer to use because you don't ever have to fiddle with it in day to day use. However the regular is nice for allowing access to all the brightness levels without having to reprogram it. Highly a personal choice.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any 4Sevens light that you choose.

I wouldn't say that one flashlight is a self defense one while another isn't. You can use them all for self defense. I just prefer a few things for self defense. Flashlights are great so you can identify who you may or may not shoot. 1) Needs to work flawlessly everytime (as long as battery has charge) 2) Needs to be bright enough to blind an attacker momentarily

Some may like the strobe light to possibly discombobulate an attacker but I don't know if this is effective and how I would be seeing all those flashes :)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im guessing that, from the poll opitons, you have no preference over battery type (123 vs. AA). In that case, I would suggest you buy a Quark AA XP-G R5 with an extra 123 body, or vice-versa. Unless you prefer neutral tints, then you'll have to settle for an XP-E model. I prefer the tactical UI, but I have no idea which you would prefer, or whether tailstand ability is important to you or not.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Im guessing that, from the poll opitons, you have no preference over battery type (123 vs. AA). In that case, I would suggest you buy a Quark AA XP-G R5 with an extra 123 body, or vice-versa. Unless you prefer neutral tints, then you'll have to settle for an XP-E model. I prefer the tactical UI, but I have no idea which you would prefer, or whether tailstand ability is important to you or not.

Tailstand is not important. Wouldn't I just be able to stand on the front?

Also is the only difference betweent the regular Quark and the tactical is the momentary on and the ability to program 2 controls? The regular has 2 controls but defaults to either Max or moonlight. With the tactical I can have it set to say high and low if I wanted to.

My gut tells me the AA but because of the availability/price of those batteries. I just don't know if I would miss the extra lumens of the CR123.

jenskh

Enlightened
Tailstand is not important. Wouldn't I just be able to stand on the front?

My gut tells me the AA but because of the availability/price of those batteries. I just don't know if I would miss the extra lumens of the CR123.
I do not know if you are able to stand on the front!

According to my experience you loose a lot of lumens by choosing AA unless you put in a 14500 battery (but then your argument about availability is not valid.

According to my measurements, my Quark Ti AA XPG R5 give me 46 lumens on max on AA batteries (alkaline or NiMh). If i put in a 14500 battery it gives 225 lumens.

Jens

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cast a vote for the Quark AA R5. I get to test the regular Quark AA R2, and was very impressed with it's performance on an Energized primary lithium cell. The clip that allows for head down carry was nice, and it can tailstand.

The Zebralight SC30 looks interesting, too. That might be worth checking out.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I do not know if you are able to stand on the front!

According to my experience you loose a lot of lumens by choosing AA unless you put in a 14500 battery (but then your argument about availability is not valid.

According to my measurements, my Quark Ti AA XPG R5 give me 46 lumens on max on AA batteries (alkaline or NiMh). If i put in a 14500 battery it gives 225 lumens.

Jens

I don't know much about how lumens are measured. You measured 46 lumens on something that lists I believe 109 lumens max???

Also just for reference. A Mini Mag AA says 15.2 lumens. A 3 C cell maglite shows 76 or 82 lumens for the xenon. So when comparing these to even the Mini Quark AA or 123, these maglites are not nearly as bright. So it seems not matter what Quark I go with, they will be brighter than most maglites (with the exception of a few).

I cast a vote for the Quark AA R5. I get to test the regular Quark AA R2, and was very impressed with it's performance on an Energized primary lithium cell. The clip that allows for head down carry was nice, and it can tailstand.

The Zebralight SC30 looks interesting, too. That might be worth checking out.

I will check that out. Thanks.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point of tailstanding is to light up a room by ceiling bounce. While you can certainly headstand any of the Quarks, it doesn't serve the same purpose.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a keychain light get a mini, if you want a duty light get one of the regular quarks, but my gut is telling me you should probably just go with a quark. If you want more throw go with the R2 and if you want more flood for up close work go with the R5.

Also consider getting the prism head if it is something you think might help you.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
The point of tailstanding is to light up a room by ceiling bounce. While you can certainly headstand any of the Quarks, it doesn't serve the same purpose.

Now don't I feel dumb. Thanks for the education:D

jenskh

Enlightened
I don't know much about how lumens are measured. You measured 46 lumens on something that lists I believe 109 lumens max???
Yes that is almost right (I think the listed lumens of the Ti version was 90 lumens), I was quite disappointed when I turned on my QUark AA with the supplied AA battery. But then when I tried 14500 I became happy again. Still, this light was far away from what was promised.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Yes that is almost right (I think the listed lumens of the Ti version was 90 lumens), I was quite disappointed when I turned on my QUark AA with the supplied AA battery. But then when I tried 14500 I became happy again. Still, this light was far away from what was promised.

Now I am not sure about the Quarks. Their numbers seem to be impressive but are they accurate or inflated? They measure the lumens OTF which I guess is different than other companys but I don't know if OTF measurements produce a higher or lower number.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Now I am not sure about the Quarks. Their numbers seem to be impressive but are they accurate or inflated? They measure the lumens OTF which I guess is different than other companys but I don't know if OTF measurements produce a higher or lower number.
OTF means out-the-front, the same as 'torch lumens' or 'actual lumens'. It appears the AA lights have been inflated. The CR123 have not; it IS 189 OTF with a 123, and over 230 with a RCR123.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
i needed a light that i could clip on my hat, so i got the aa tactical and i use it with 14500's. if the clip was reversible on the 123 i would have gotten that one.

Dimmed

Newly Enlightened
I am an AA flashlight fan too. I already bought a tactical AA2 and its great. BTW, this flashlight is my first quality flashlight over $50.

Being an AA flashlight fan and all I was actually aiming for a tk-40. But with the price I reconsidered for a less lumen same quality but drastically cheaper Quark.

Now I am getting used to the 200 max lumen of a Quark and is now wondering, what would a flashlight with more the 3x of the tactical AA2 output with a bit of a price increase would feel like.

Try searching for iTP A6. Maybe the 2nd most brightest flashlight on AA batteries in the world ATM with a bit of a price increase from the Quark.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I voted for the Quark AA R5. I find the regular Quarks more practical as EDC lights than the Minis (though I love my Mini 123 for general household use). You have more carry options with the larger Quarks (clip), you can get a better grip, it has a clicky switch.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Why are are there as many people voting for the AA R5 than the CR123 R5?? While AA are cheaper, CR123 batteries are not that expensive. Am I missing something?? Maybe lithium AA batteries work very good and are still a bit cheaper than CR123.

LumaNaughty

Newly Enlightened
Why are are there as many people voting for the AA R5 than the CR123 R5?? While AA are cheaper, CR123 batteries are not that expensive. Am I missing something?? Maybe lithium AA batteries work very good and are still a bit cheaper than CR123.

Out of those lights I would go for the Quark AA Tactical. Just because you have the option of putting a nimh, 14500, or primaries in it.

I personally like my 123^2 with a 17670 in it as an EDC.