Underbelly (Aussie Film Series)

Norm

Retired Administrator
I enjoyed the series Lux, had to watch it on pirate DVD's, originally it wasn't allowed to be played here in Victoria as there were still court cases going on. If you tried to buy it interstate they were asking for ID to make sure you weren't taking it back to Victoria. It was eventually on TV but much later than other states.
As Twinkle said the new series starts soon.
Are you coping with the Aussie and New Zealand accents OK or is it sub titled :poke:
Cheers Norm

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love the Aussie accent. Always have. I don't catch all the slang terms because they aren't used the same here (like crackin' which I still don't quite understand the meaning, even going back to the Crocodile Dundee movies, and all the wonderful Steve Irwin shows), but I wouldn't think of using subs for it. Funny that DVD Orchard says clearly that they still won't mail it to Victoria.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I love the Aussie accent. Always have. I don't catch all the slang terms because they aren't used the same here (like crackin'
Not to sure wether you mean to "get crackin'" which means to get moving.
Let's get crackin' = Let's get moving, otherwise you've lost me.
Norm

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
With you now Lux
'crikey!'
An expression of astonishment.

Etymology (Meaning of Words) - English Aussie Slang?
Norm

Ahhh...finally I get the whole, rich reference. This part from that link hit the nail on the head as a comparible term here.

The word is frequently used in Australia, but it did not originate there. According to "The Oxford English Dictionary" [OED] -- the multi-volume, "bible" of the world of etymology -- it is a "swear word," meant to replace the actual name of Jesus. It is used in place of "Christ!" or "For Christ's Sake!"

The first WRITTEN usage was in 1838. Of course, it would have been SPOKEN many years before that time.

Here is the entry from the OED:

[As this alliterates with Christ, or L. Christe! it was perhaps originally one of the alliterative or assonant substitutes for sacred names, used to avoid the appearance of profanity.]
I don't want any of our "religious" members to jump the gun, because one of the most common phrases my dad used to utter mostly in times of exasperation was "Oh, for Christ's sake." Dad was an uber devout Catholic, but if he was tightening a bolt on our lawn mower, and the head broke off, you could count on that phrase being used at least 5 times, and another 5 times while he struggled with drilling into the bolt, then again using a broken bolt extracter which sometimes failed. Inevitably he would look over at me and admonish me to never use the phrase. Man, I miss my dad.