LED Flash/Booklight with Flexible Neck Suggestions

sf15

Newly Enlightened
New to the world of LED flashlights so excuse the newb questions. Did not notice any sticky newb guides so if there is one, please advise.

I received a 2 LED with sliding/flexible neck book/laptop light as a corporate gift. It's pretty handy for clamping to books and laptop displays. It uses 2 x 3V lithium flat batteries and unfortunately, they don't last long. Looking to find a complementary or replacement light ideally using AAs or AAAs. A flashlight with tube form factor is fine so long as it has a long neck that can be angled down 130-170 degrees to provide a floodlight. The base should be wide enough so it doesn't tip over. Not sure if I want a lamp, but if they're portable and can also project a spotlight that might work.

Like to keep price under $20. Either e-tailers or big box retailers are fine. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Joe_Atlanta

Newly Enlightened
Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 at Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc. Uses 3 AAA batteries. Clip on or use the battery holder/clip as a base. Always had good luck with this brand.

Joe

sf15

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Joe. I'll check it out.

Any other suggestions, say in more of flashlight/torch form factor?

sf15

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 LED Light and the Triple LED Book Light. These lights are awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, Joe!

The XF2 is so versatile with its bendable neck. The Triple's light is slightly more powerful and has a telescopic neck which makes it easier for portable storage/transport, but lacks the flexibility of the XF2. Is the XF2 perfect? Almost. I would like to see the XF2 neck be an extra inch or two longer and include a transport case and AC adapter. Does anyone know where I can pick up a comparable adapter. I checked the MB site and the official adapter's specs are:

Input: 120 Volts 60 Hz 2.5 W
Output: 4 Volts DC Current: 100mA Max

I have an extra AC adapter that's rated:
- Input: 100V-240V 50-60Hz/0.3A
- Output: 5.2V--2A

Is this safe to use? I don't want to fry my new baby. :p

Or any recommendations where to pick one up cheaply. Thanks!

Last edited:

Joe_Atlanta

Newly Enlightened
Can't really tell about how much wiggle room they built into those lights. If they are safe with Energizer lithium AAAs, then your adapter should work. Email Mighty Bright and ask.

Otherwise, the Shack has a 4.5 volt adapter that should work. I run mine off an old multi mode converter at 4.5.