X-Tactical

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there folks, Stopped in at my local Anaconda shop (outdoor adventure shop in Australia) and noticed a new product in the portable lighting section. It's a stick on brand chinese light called X-Tactical. They have a range of lights from 1.5 lumens right up to 1200. They seem to made by the same crew who make the X-glow stuff available at J-Car. It's slighty different in design at the non-business-end but otherwise identical in specs and price.

They have one product which claims to run at 600 lumens for 5 hours on 4 D alkalines and then a futher 3 hours at reduced input. It has 3 Rebel leds up front so I don't doubt the 600 lms. But I do doubt the 5 hours on 4 D's. Says also it will run on low (no lumens given) for 25 hours and is priced at Au$187, about the same cost as a TK-40. I own 3 of the X-glow lights and they're not bad. Good output and long runtimes on alkalines, but they have plastic lenses and scratch easily so you need to keep them in their sleeves when not in use.

So for anyone living within a short drive of an Anaconda who would like a 600 lumen 4D light for under Au$200, there you have it. If I could get one of these from overseas a lot cheaper I'd consider it, so I'm going to get a TK-40 instead.

O, if you're wondering about the 1200 lumen light, it's Au$349, OUCH!
sick2.gif
Might get one when they realise they can't sell them and knock off 50%.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everton Park, QLD. I've dealt a lot with them, I'm sure they'll get one in for you if you ask.
What I meant to say is; if you ask your local Anaconda (if they don't have it) I'm sure they'll get one in for you.
BTW, the 176 lumen light is Au$10 cheaper at J-Car.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah well, decided to get one after all. Got the 600 lumen model. Has a similar output and beam profile to a tle-300, WALL OF LIGHT, however MUCH better runtime. It isn't a thrower but it will light up everything within its beam equally for about 80-100 metres. I live across from a large park and every now and then you get a few teenagers smoke some pot. Not anymore!
On low mode I'd say it's about 200 lumens seeing as it's a bit brighter than my 176 lumen light. Has flood to spot adjustment so it's going to be the perfect camping light. You turn it from off to either low (left) or high (right) mode by twisting the head. This can be done with one hand, however adjusting the flood to spot requires two. Feels solid and nothing creaks or feels loose. One negative, plastic lens. Will be getting a UCL for it as soon as possible. I'm very happy with it and won't be hurrying to get anymore lights soon. If you like the feel and size of a 4 D light (which I do, little lights are too easy to misplace), this one is a ripper. Don't think I'll be taking my mag out much anymore.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
As much as I detest shopping in Anaconda (the lack of knowledge by their staff about outdoors products at least here in Adelaide annoys me no end, but the same applies to most retailers) sometimes they have some reasonable products/prices, just do not expect the sales staff to be knowledgeable.

I would be hesitant to spend that sort of money on a 4D light when I can purchase a 4D Mag, 4 x 10000 mAh NiMh batts (Gives exception run time), TLE-300 and UCL Lens for less delivered ex USA...........but that is just me.

So much choice :)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is compared to a 4D mag.
16850_269073237519_647112519_3277546_8266857_a.jpg

The business end.
16850_269073227519_647112519_3277545_6151887_a.jpg

Good proportions
16850_269073222519_647112519_3277544_3018395_a.jpg

Mag P4 on left, X-Tactical on right.
16850_269072437519_647112519_3277543_4598801_a.jpg

I live in a koala protection corridor and use my lights to regularly check on koala numbers and health. I usually use my mag because it gives the best light 10-20 metres up a tree. Went for a walk tonight, no koala's, but it is nice to be able to light up the whole tree, not just a few branches.
This light is certainly no thrower, but for less than 80-100 metres it's fabulous. Which suits my needs.
It really isn't a spot light either, there's no hot spot. It's either brighter, tighter flood or less bright but wider flood. On low with wide flood it's a nice walking light. On high, the fins around the head get warm, maybe body temperature but no higher, and its the middle of summer here in sunny Queensland.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Now I'm curious about the Koalas (does this never end...) :)

Are you just checking for them out of curiosity or is it your job or something and finally, got any good pics of any "teddy bears"?

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good on ya mate. Not enough people in the world caring about the animals :(

Kudos

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah well. Took it back to the shop after a week for a refund. Why? Runs on high for about 1.5 hours, not 5 hours as claimed. I'm not forking out $8 a week for batteries. Not spending $100 on D nimh and a new charger. Getting the TK-40.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah well. Took it back to the shop after a week for a refund. Why? Runs on high for about 1.5 hours, not 5 hours as claimed. I'm not forking out $8 a week for batteries. Not spending $100 on D nimh and a new charger. Getting the TK-40.
Now your talking....:thumbsup:

James....:)