Problems with SF L1

dro57

Newly Enlightened
Where conservatives gather on the left coast.
Has anyone had a problem with their SF L1 intermittently lighting? I just received a replacement tailcap from SF and I am still having the same issues. The only way I can get this light to work is to loosen up the head piece a bit before it will function. For what I paid for this light, I'm thinking of shipping it back.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
dro57,

The anode contact on the L1 has very little "stroke". From what you have described, it may be that the solder tit on in the center of the head is a bit too tall. In most cases, the L1 head needs to be very tight on the body to make contact for both the cathode (battery tube) and anode. SureFire will certainly take care of this problem for you but if you want to see about fixing it your self, carefully inspect the battery tube lip, cathode ring in the head and the anode contacts both in the head and the recesed contact within the battery tube.

- Don

dro57

Newly Enlightened
Where conservatives gather on the left coast.
Don,
Appreciate the info. I unscrewed the head piece and cleaned up the contacts and it seem to resolve the problem. I noticed those marking points on the tailcap are meaningless. On my E1e w/ KL1, I could use those markers as a reference to keep the light from accidentially turning on. With the L1 I noticed I have to ignore the markers and just go on the basis of turning the tail cap to a point where it turns on with a push of the button and then back off a turn or so to keep it off. I can live with it.

Allen