• Off brand from Amazon for about $32

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Other: Please specify

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
My laptop battery has been shot for about 2 years. I just have been too cheap to buy one. I decide it is time to get a new battery so I don't have to always have to plug it in. The first battery lasted about 20 months before going down hill.

The Toshiba Battery is notorious for lasting about 16 months :( IMO that is crazy especially for the price you pay. The reviews are really bad for it. 2 stars I think. About $85 from Toshiba
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=322639
From amazon it is $60
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBYSXE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The other option is to buy a battery off of amazon for less than half the price and take my chances with that. It can't be much worse than the Toshiba.
$32
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWZ5NI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Any danger in buying the off brand? I heard somewhere that cheap laptop batteries tend to catch fire.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Id go with the 32$ one, because its probably not any worse than the original indeed. And especially for an old computer paying 80$ for a battery is just too much.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Id go with the 32$ one, because its probably not any worse than the original indeed. And especially for an old computer paying 80$ for a battery is just too much.
Do you think it will catch fire? I keep reading things about cheap laptop batteries catching fire.

InHisName

Enlightened
Over the years, I have bought a laptop battery for my IBM T21 from Hong Kong supplier. No, not Hong Kong, from NJ. System Integration Business was located via eBay. I had also bought one earlier from sibusa.com and was using it to experiment with and discovered leaving things running until the 10.8v died was a BAD idea. It stayed at zero and wont charge anymore. Aparantly the electronics inside 'says' "you killed it and now you HAVE to buy another." :poof: OK so now more experimenting with laptop batteries I need to use for laptops. The second buy is still good 2.5 years later. :twothumbs I started with nearly 3 hours back in 07 and in 10 it is over 2 hours maybe 2.5 or so. I usually recharge before I have used 2 hours. I'll probably buy another from them when the time comes around some day.

Edit: I didn't see Sibusa offerings. Standard is 6 cell, also 9 cell, and one 12 cell @ $80. There is one 9 cell that is a bit more compact at only 7200MAH rather than the std 4400MAH, ship included -- only $55 (Probably fits, found using your battery number in search, it probably sticks out the back or front for extra cells.)

Last edited:
I'm so glad you are having us choose between packs; I was worried you were doing a rebuild and asking which battery brand was recommended. I said Amazon - genuine product. You're house burning down is not worth $30.

blub

Enlightened
I bought an off brand rechargeable battey for my camera once, saved about $30 but it only took about 5 pictures compared to OEM's 200, never again.

LeifUK

Enlightened
I've read about several instances of third party camera batteries catching fire when charging, and in one case partially burning down a house. Unless there is a good reason to think the third party unit is well built, I'd go for the Toshiba branded item.