How Hard is it to mount a LS into a McLux?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my McLux! I mean, I like it A LOT! It seems that the future is going to be very bright (Pun intended!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif for getting nice, white, High rated LS.

Example, Wayne (dat2zip) is selling some Q4H 1W LD and R2H 1W Lambertians (HD I think).

I would love to build another McLux, and put a super bright LED into another McLux, but I need to know what skills are involved.

BTY, what kind of LS LED in in the TurnKey McLux? I know it was a Q3, but what was the 3rd number, and is it HD or LD?

Raindrop

Enlightened
My turnkey McLuxes and a couple built by Skunkworks members came with Q3L Luxeons. I also have some Q4J that were built even more recently by Leo / Hotfoot that are driven with a Badboy 500.

My very brightest hand selected LS came with a Q4J as well from the era when Arc still tagged the LS Luxeon type

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
BuddTX,

Several things that are recommended requirements (IMO) are needed.

Good Soldering skills. You will need to attach 4 wires to the converter board. The board is very small and adding the wires to it can be daunting to someone with limited soldering skills.

Good vision... The converter board wiring and soldering the wires to the LED need 20/20 vision (or stereo magnification like the opti-visor???).

Beyond that, you will need some basic tools, lube, Arctic Alumina epoxy.

If I had to take a guess, the majority of time will be spent on making the converter board contact assembly and attaching the LED.

Maybe some other CPF'ers can chime in with their experience and offer a different view point.

To actually mount the Emitter is pretty straightforward. Trim off the Anode LED side of the emitter. Leave the other side alone. Mix up a small batch of Arctic Alumina. Apply with a toothpick a small gumdrop about 1/2 the size of the emitter base, and 1/16" inch high or so. Push the LED down into the epoxy and then drop on the reflector or NX05 to eyeball the LED into center. Move the LED by hand as needed till it appears centered using the McFLood or the NX05. If done correctly, the epoxy should ooze out a bit and well up the sides. This adds additional thermal path along the side of the LED as well as at the bottom.

Wayne