Theoretical- Your going to Haiti, What Flashlights/Gear do you depend on in Hell?

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Just like the thread title says.

I have felt deep conviction to be able to help in someway other then just throwing money towards the charitable organizations (will still do).

I found out a friend of mine who is a RN and a group from the hospital he works at are going down to Haiti tomorrow to do what medical care they can for hopefully at least 7 days. I felt compelled to hook him up with some of gear just sitting around here getting no use.

I sent him with:

• Camelbak trailblazer w/2lt reservoir
  • Columbia Knife and Tool M21-12 pocket knife
  • 2 spare surefire lanyards
  • Princeton Tec Apex Head lamp
  • Inova 24/7 light
  • Surefire 6PD with Clicky and Malkoff M60
  • Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60F with C2 lanyard attachment and lanyard
  • Surefire Nylon pouch for 6P light
  • Nitecore EZ123 with surefire lanyard
  • Gerber Multiplier with Sheath
  • Compass
  • Blackhawk Drop-leg med kit pouch
  • 2 Maxpedition 1809 volta paks with 4 tac-ties attached
  • Medical glove belt pouch
  • 2 Surefire SC1 battery carriers with spare p60 lamps and lanyards
  • 4 boxes of 12pk Surefire SF123 cells

What would you go with?

ackbar

Enlightened
Personally, I wouldn't supply them with anything that requires 123s. Cheap and common batteries are the easiest to get provide in bulk and can be use for other items aswell.

The headlamp is a good choice. I think they would benefit from it more than any of the surefires.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to send a few lights to be used in Haiti. I got some donated and added a few that I had laying around. Each lilght went down with 2 extra sets of batteries.

12-Seraph SP-6 donated by Lumens Factory
EagleTac donations included
4 P20C2
1 M2C4
3 T100C2MkII
2 P20A2
1 P100A2
1 P20A2
2 P10A2

My wife tried to pack my whole collection in the box but I was able to fight her off:twak:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Personally, I wouldn't supply them with anything that requires 123s. Cheap and common batteries are the easiest to get provide in bulk and can be use for other items aswell.

The headlamp is a good choice. I think they would benefit from it more than any of the surefires.

I would have preferred more AA lights but all i really have are the 123 or better variety. So I picked the lights that were sitting around doing nothing. Granted the M60 came out of one of my back up EDCs, but I wasn't about to send a $20 dollar cheapy P60 R2 that shuts down really quick due to lack of thermal transfer.

I want to commend you on your selflessness with what you sent with your friend. :twothumbs Good job from me....
Russ

Thanks you but its just the way God has made me and well it will get better use there than here, atleast most of the gear will.. I mean you can never have enough flashlights collecting dust right :twothumbs

My wife tried to pack my whole collection in the box but I was able to fight her off:twak:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also figure I could start my collection all over guilt free!! There's gonna be quite a few new lights coming out after the SHOTshow that I need to make room for.

Seriously though, I thought it would be better than sending down a bunch of supplies that, from what CNN is saying, are sitting stockpiled in Port-au-Prince. Getting something as basic as a flashlight into the hands of rescue/aid workers seemed to make more sense than sending a text message to make the most sense. I am going to be making a trip to Jamaica around March or April to work with them on assisting some of the "evacuees" that they're expecting to start making their way there.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
I also figure I could start my collection all over guilt free!! There's gonna be quite a few new lights coming out after the SHOTshow that I need to make room for.

Seriously though, I thought it would be better than sending down a bunch of supplies that, from what CNN is saying, are sitting stockpiled in Port-au-Prince. Getting something as basic as a flashlight into the hands of rescue/aid workers seemed to make more sense than sending a text message to make the most sense. I am going to be making a trip to Jamaica around March or April to work with them on assisting some of the "evacuees" that they're expecting to start making their way there.

I totally can relate how yeah feel about getting a flashlight in the hand of an aid worker. You'll have to keep us posted on your pending Jamaica Travels.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Something durable, as cheap as possible but still built to last, and AA powered would be my preference. I don't know if anyone can suggest the best flashlight that meets that criteria.

It's a great idea, and very humbling, to see people thjinking to donate things like flashlights to the aid workers over there. How would we go about doing that - is there a particular place to donate equipment for that purpose? All I've seen so far is a donation line / website for monetary aid.

gsxrac

Enlightened
..................I sent him with:..............

...........I was able to send a few lights to be used in Haiti. I got some donated and added a few that I had laying around. Each lilght went down with 2 extra sets of batteries.......

One of the many reasons I LOVE CPF!!! Its hard to find decent people these days and it seems like there are always members around here helping eachother and other people out in times of need. Thank yall for donating all these lights and gear. From what I hear it is all needed and will be put to good use!

lovecpf...............:grouphug:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anyone knows of a way to donate money that would go to supplying batteries I'd be in to help. Say money to buy 123s and then we donate them to an organization. If there is even a need...

If i knew someone going down i'd loan out my 2 E1Bs in a heartbeat.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Just like the thread title says.

I have felt deep conviction to be able to help in someway other then just throwing money towards the charitable organizations (will still do).

Bravo ioinizedsky.

ionizedsky has a special situation. He can hand useful items to someone who's going there.

I've worked real emergencies in the "local" zone, trying to get aid to the "danger" zone.

I can safely say, in most other cases, the right thing to do is to send CASH. Send it to the Red Cross.

Other donations usually don't make it to the danger zone for a long time, if at all. Organizations waste precious resources trying to get the supplies to the emergency zone. A truckload of canned food would be a great thing in the streets of Haiti. If you have a truckload of canned goods ready to donate in Kansas City, it may cost the relief agency more resources and money to get that food to Haiti than it would to buy an equivalent amount of food from a warehouse in Miami and get it to Haiti.

The Red Cross has a lot of problems, but if you're an emergency victim, the Red Cross is agency that you're likely to get the most aid from in the quickest time.

Red Cross also gets better access to emergency sites than other agencies. Emergency officials tend to keep civilians out of the danger zone. They let the Red Cross in a lot of the time when they won't let less well known groups in.

Also, you know the Red Cross is a legit agency. There will be a lot of con artists soliciting donations. There will also be "legit" agencies that spend a large percentage of your donations on further soliciting and other administrative expenses.

Unless you've got a LOT of some special item, send cash, rather than donating. If you've got 10,000 flashlights to donate, offer them. If there's something they're having a hard time getting, or something they're asking for, go ahead and donate goods.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to contribute to them but not sure how. I have fears stuff may get stolen somehow? Do the ppl actually the stuff sent there?

Re: OP

Something with low mode, long runtime

ONe of these new Mags on 4D, cheap, runtime.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Well done on setting up your friend with a TON of useful gear.

I second the AA requirement, or rather, preference. But 4 boxes might just make it... I hope you pointed out how to keep them on "low" mode, if any? Remember, she's got to shine the light 2 feet most of the time.

I'd suggest 2 or 3 headlamps, AA if possible.

Maybe a couple of AA-powered lanterns too. I doubt most of the shelter's there are decent enough for ceiling bounces to light up the place. Though I suspect that's what most of your heavy throwing lights will end up doing.

Let us know when the nurse gets back how they all worked out. And his/her suggestions for next time!

Magic Matt

Enlightened
ionizedsky has a special situation. He can hand useful items to someone who's going there.
I can safely say, in most other cases, the right thing to do is to send CASH. Send it to the Red Cross.

Thanks for that info. I was starting to formulate an idea that maybe we could do a "Group Buy" with a difference - perhaps convince somebody like SureFire or Fenix to do us a batch really cheaply, and send it all direct to Haiti. The reputation this forum seems to have might give leverage to get a good deal that way. You are probably right however, in that the Red Cross do it better.

I've seen a few "Haiti Survival Help" type telephone numbers being banded about on adverts, but I hesitate because, as you say, it's not always easy to know which are legit.

Red Cross it is. :)

UK link for anyone else who wishes to use it
http://www.redcross.org.uk/emergencysite

American Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org/en/givehere/

jankj

Enlightened
+1 on anything said here related to Red Cross.

Doctors without borders is the only organization I esteem as high as red cross.

As for flashlight, choose runtime over brightness. Multiple brightness is a good thing, that way you can have those 15 seconds of bright light when you need them. And good close-range headlamps. Princeton Tec and zebralight are excellent choices.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caricom has beeen working with Food for the poor in Florida for years. They have been in Haiti for quite some time now and they have re-opened their food center in port-au-prince on the 19th.:thumbsup:

edit:: on another note....

Pelican Products, Inc., a global leader in the design and manufacture of advanced lighting systems and virtually indestructible cases, today announced its contribution of $100,000 worth of head lamps and flashlights to the Haiti relief effort. The in-kind donation will help aid and assist rescuers, volunteers and emergency response teams in their relief efforts in Haiti. Emergency triage shelters are without lighting, so head lamps allow doctors to treat patients in completely dark locations.​

"Our prayers go out to the people of Haiti," said Lyndon Faulkner, Pelican's President and CEO. "It is impossible to see the devastation and not want to help. We hope that our donation, along with the donations of others across the country, will help bring some relief to the people of Haiti."

Pelican™ cases are also being utilized by emergency response teams to transport and carry supplies to Haiti. Pelican cases are some of the most durable, longest lasting protector cases and are engineered to be completely watertight, crushproof and dustproof.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running into that problem, albeit from a slightly different angle.

I would honestly grab a stock x2 AA MiniMag off the shelf to use - not great, but simple and reliable with a decent run time and pretty easy to feed. And almost always accessible at any store.

I used to be a big fan of MiniMag LEDs, but the qa/qc has been hit or miss, in my experience. Time, funds and availability permitting, I'd scoop up a LED upgrade for the MiniMag Incan.

I'd also like to find a headlamp that runs off AA primaries - the Energizer Micro has been getting pretty low reviews from what I see.

An LED camping lantern on AAs would be an excellent choice to include.

Drawbacks:
The M60 is (I can't believe I'm saying this) too bright for much of anything except outdoors and tactical use.

The M60LL, on the other hand, is a great option for both output and runtime.

The 123s are great performers, but can be hard to keep supplied "in the field" which makes AA primaries the best option.

Personal selection?
SF 9P w/ M60LL
Fenix TK20
Princeton Tec Fuel headlamp
Camping lantern - something off the shelf with LEDs w/ AAs

-Medina

adbowell

Newly Enlightened
Being a former U.S. Marine "Grunt" and a current L.E.O., I get a lot of exposure situations where I have to make things happen with only what I have on my back/belt, which means I definitely have opinions on what to carry...but they are simply that...opinions. I like the lists that are already up. Everyone has their preference in terms of brands for lights/knives/tools, etc, and I feel like the right tools can indeed vary from person to person.

My personal preferences in terms of brands are Leatherman (Wave [my personal fav], Charge, Surge), SureFire (I roll with a customized Z2, G2Z, and an E1B for handheld torches (all LED & "Defenders") along with a spares carrier with spare bulb/batteries), Camelbak and/or Nalgene (if it holds water I'm okay with it), and Suunto. I'd be sure to take a couple good pair of gloves.

A couple good knives is crucial. My favorites are Hinderer's XM-18 (good luck finding one, though!), Grayman Knives, Microtech "Curahee", Chris Reeve's "Green Beret", Kershaw's Zero Tolerance 0300/0350, CRKT (Sting & M16-14xx)...I'll stop there. You get the idea.

What would I take when going into h-e-double hockey's sticks?? Pretty much everything that has already been stated...but I would be sure to take a headlamp. It sounds goofy, and I never would have said that in the past, but I have been sold on the concept since my days of holding a mini-maglite in my teeth, which has lead to some broken teeth, which ain't fun. Being a SureFire guy, I would probably want one of the helmet/hat lights in addition to a "Saint". That thing is "good-to-go", and specifically designed to be flexible for situations that may not be ideal in terms of available power sources. It can run on a single CR123 (but holds up to three) or can function on AAs. Call me easily impressed, but I thought that was brilliant.

The only other thing (again, that hasn't already been stated) that I would be sure to take is plenty of "Wet Wipes". Those things can be used for so much, and certainly can make a really good substitution for a shower when that need arises.

Just remember, "One is none. Two is one." I try to have three (and maybe more in reserve) of each of my really important tools.

turbodog

Flashaholic
He will be doing precious little at night.

He will be more in need of consumable items:
wet wipes

More than any of that:
water filtration with spare cartridge

And I do mean filtration. These new uv devices or the msr mioxx device isn't much good against water with crap (literally) floating in it.

paulr

Flashaholic
As screwed up as conditions are in Haiti, the ways they're screwed up aren't the ways that are particularly hard on flashlights. It's not a war zone or frozen wasteland. It's a civilian emergency in a warm tropical climate. So going out of your way for ultra-rugged lights are probably overkill. I'd second the suggestion of staying with AA's. Of different AA lights the one I immediately think of is the Zebralight H50 (and now H501). Here is a thread about using the H50 in the tropics:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178839

If there is AC power available in the staging areas, I'd bring along a few packs of nimh cells and a 15 minute charger. In case power isn't there, also bring some L91's. I agree with Turbodog about wet wipes and water filtration.