Dereelight XP-G P60

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I am looking for info on the Dereelight XP-G P60 drop-in series. I have found al the specs that I need to get an idead of compatability... but I cant find anything on tint (in laymans terms) or beam profile.

For tint I am just looking for a color comparison to the Malkoff M60... is it cooler blue then the M60 or more towards the neutral/pure white side?

How is the beam profile with the OP reflector... is it pretty clean or on the ringy side? Throwy, Floody, or a nice mix? Im looking for something comparable to the SF P60L as far a beam profile.

What kind of OTF can I expect... Is it putting out a GENIUNE 300 OTF lumens or is it coming up short?

What sort of runtimes am I looking at with an a) AW 18650/26, and; b) 2 CR123A Primaries? Hoping for in the 2 hour range here on both.

Thanks again for your help CPF

Let the information flow!!! :popcorn:

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
I dont have a malkoff so I cant help you there.

I run mine on 2 18650. Yes it is defintely 300 OTF lumens!!

The tint on mine is definitley on the cool side. On its own it is a nice color but if you compare it to another lite you see more of the cool side.

For me I am really liking the beam. No rings and a very good mix of flood and spill. The spill is brite and useful and the hot spot throws pretty darn good for a p60 formatt OP reflector. I have tried many lites and for some reason this dropin is really impressing me indoors and out. Is it a SST50? No but these XPG s to me are a definite worthwhile step up from the XRE and such leds and a noticeable difference.

I havnt done any runtimes but figure I should go for awhile on 2 18650s. It doesnt get too hot in a SF C2 with a stock head. I have left it on freestanding and it gets warm but not hot. I did put a strip of aluminum at the base of the pill though. dont know if it does anything or not but what the heck.

Anyway I think you will be happy with it and the price is reasonable enough and quality seems there too

bullettproof

Enlightened
Do a search for the XPG-R5 or go to review section.All your answers are there.:twothumbs

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Do a search for the XPG-R5 or go to review section.All your answers are there.:twothumbs

I did one... before I posted the thread. I found tons of great information on XP-G R5 emitters, home made mods, new XP-G lights and the like... which I found quite informative. I didnt however find anything specific to the Dereelight XP-G P60 drop-in.

BTW... can anyone chime in on how durable the module is? I was planning on using it for LE duty use if it proves to be what I am looking for.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Good question. I am gonna venture to say that the electronics are not potted on these like on a Malkoff. I think the Malkoff is gonna be a bit more "rugged" though I dont see why the Dereelight module wouldnt stand up to pretty bad abuse. The current malkoffs are great but a little lower in output .

I am not LE but if I was looking for the most rugged reliable setup for that role I would do a SF with twisty/momentary and a Malkoff dropin. Malkoff is supposedly coming out with a new emitter dropin soon. I got the Dereelight module to tide me over but when the Malkoffs hit I will be getting one for sure for my SF C2. Even if it is slightly less OTF lumens it will have better heatsinking and wont drop off in output as it runs like many other dropins tend to do as they heat up .and it will be more "reliable" in my opinion with full potting and brass pill .

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
You make a good point... as I recall the new Malkoff XP-G M60/M30's are going to be reflectored set-ups too.

Well then maybe Ill wait this one out until they release the MD M60/M30 for my LE Duty lights. As far as my wife goes thou... I am still considering this to replace her outdated LED module on her 6PL...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman and I tested the new Dereelight XP-G R5 P60 drop-in. It is a perfect beam with a respectable 1.2A at the LED. The DBS bezel makes it throw more and although bigger, very EDC able to me.

Dereelight 3SD_XP-G 1.2A_____300__turn-on__________1_18650AW___________CL1H V4 host on high mode, this is the R5 version
Dereelight 3SD_XP-G 1.2A_____282__30 sec__________1_18650AW___________CL1H V4 host on high mode, this is the R5 version
Dereelight 3SD_XP-G 1.2A_____277__60 sec__________1_18650AW___________CL1H V4 host on high mode, this is the R5 version
Dereelight 3SD_XP-G 1.2A_____272__120 sec_________1_18650AW___________CL1H V4 host on high mode, this is the R5 version
Dereelight 3SD_XP-G 1.2A_____269__180 sec_________1_18650AW___________CL1H V4 host on high mode, this is the R5 version

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229135

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can do a versus beamshot if you wish. I ordered a C2H pill and reflector and a DBS pill and DBS reflector. The C2H pill does not screw into a C2H reflector so they shipped the C2H pill screwed into a P60 XP-G reflector. I can get a P60 host and put my DBS pill into the P60 reflector... and I have a M60 in one of my C2's.

Just let me know, I haven't seen any good beamshots yet. (Just a forewarning, my beamshots are usually terrible. :p)

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alberta-Blue,
I got a 3-stage Dereelight Cree R2 drop-in last year or the year before, which I have only run on primaries. I have had a few intermittent connectivity issues with it, although it seems to be working fine now. I first put it in a 6P, which I was EDC'ing for awhile. No problems. Then I tried to put it in a new Z2, and it didn't always want to turn on. Screwed the tailcap down tight, shook it, slapped it. Sometimes it would turn on, and sometimes it wouldn't. Tried it in a G2. Same problem. Then I put it in a C3, and now there are no problems. I'm enough of a nube to not know exactly what was going on. I'm guessing slight dimensional differences in the different hosts might have had something to do with it. Should I have done something to the springs in the hosts where it had problems? Would one of Malkoff's shock-fitting washers have helped? I don't know. I'm not meaning to knock Dereelight. I have no experience with any of their other products. I just know that I have not had any similar issues with any of the several Malkoff products that I have. They have always worked in any host I put them in. Just my .02

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I can do a versus beamshot if you wish. I ordered a C2H pill and reflector and a DBS pill and DBS reflector. The C2H pill does not screw into a C2H reflector so they shipped the C2H pill screwed into a P60 XP-G reflector. I can get a P60 host and put my DBS pill into the P60 reflector... and I have a M60 in one of my C2's.

Just let me know, I haven't seen any good beamshots yet. (Just a forewarning, my beamshots are usually terrible. :p)

If you could that would be great... i would really like to see what I am looking at as well as your besh estimation of the color range.

Alberta-Blue,
I got a 3-stage Dereelight Cree R2 drop-in last year or the year before, which I have only run on primaries. I have had a few intermittent connectivity issues with it, although it seems to be working fine now. I first put it in a 6P, which I was EDC'ing for awhile. No problems. Then I tried to put it in a new Z2, and it didn't always want to turn on. Screwed the tailcap down tight, shook it, slapped it. Sometimes it would turn on, and sometimes it wouldn't. Tried it in a G2. Same problem. Then I put it in a C3, and now there are no problems. I'm enough of a nube to not know exactly what was going on. I'm guessing slight dimensional differences in the different hosts might have had something to do with it. Should I have done something to the springs in the hosts where it had problems? Would one of Malkoff's shock-fitting washers have helped? I don't know. I'm not meaning to knock Dereelight. I have no experience with any of their other products. I just know that I have not had any similar issues with any of the several Malkoff products that I have. They have always worked in any host I put them in. Just my .02

Those are some pretty wierd connectivity issues... The G2 I can understand because of how its ground it set-up through the metal insert in the battery tube. The Z2 I am at a loss to explain...

I rather like my Malkoffs but I was looking more along the lines of something new and more up to date with technolodgy. Dont get me wrong, Malkoffs are great and easily the top of their class... But it never hurts to see how the newest, cutting edge stuff stacks up...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to add one important thing I noticed with all my Dereelight P60 drop-ins.

Don't get multi-modes:sick2: It will go through the modes while using it if you bump it against something. I have put cooper tape to ensure a super tight fit in the 6P hosts and even used AW 2600mAh cells that fit snug in a 6P bored (lengh wise). Yet it still does it.

Single mode only for me. I will add that I have purchased other peoples P60 multi-mode drop-ins and none do this. Still, 300 OTF is a great plus and if you must have 3 modes for extended runtimes then go for it.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I have to add one important thing I noticed with all my Dereelight P60 drop-ins.

Don't get multi-modes:sick2: It will go through the modes while using it if you bump it against something. I have put cooper tape to ensure a super tight fit in the 6P hosts and even used AW 2600mAh cells that fit snug in a 6P bored (lengh wise). Yet it still does it.

Single mode only for me. I will add that I have purchased other peoples P60 multi-mode drop-ins and none do this. Still, 300 OTF is a great plus and if you must have 3 modes for extended runtimes then go for it.

Ill deffinately take note of this. Very good to know... however given that for me this would be for duty use, and for my wife it would be more in the range of self defense I think that once mode at Max will suffice.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, let's see... three beamshots, three exposure times. For some reason the XP-G one on the right came out better on one go. The tint, it does seem a bit warmer than the M60, but it is nowhere near a 5A tint, it is still very cool tinted. The only time I thought it was warm was when I had it next to the M60.

Dereelight XP-G on the left, Malkoff M60 on the right. This one shows that the beam of the M60 is somewhat more ringy than the XP-G drop-in. The XP-G I don't see ANY beam imperfections. The spill on the XP-G drop-in is pretty impressive.
img1454s.jpg

Malkoff M60 on the left, Dereelight XP-G on the right. You can still see the XP-G drop-in's spill.
img1474q.jpg

Dereelight XP-G on the left, Malkoff M60 on the right. The XP-G has a larger, and slightly less intense hotspot compared to the M60.
img1482ac.jpg

As far as reliability goes, I would trust the M60. I've had a few Dereelight drop-ins that have contact issues. If I had to count on it, I would go with Malkoff. I don't think his XP-G stuff will be too far away, he is supposedly showing prototypes at SHOT.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Dereelight XP-G 3SD for my CL1H, and the XP-G for the C2H. These are great upgrades for these hosts! Improved output and beam quality! Very happy with the results. I need to take some lux readings to compare throw, but the beam looks pretty potent, intense hot spot, and very bright spill.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
My friend bought the Dereelight 3SD XP-G R5 drop-in for his solarforce. It was nasty green. The dealer (Jay) was happy to replace it though and promptly mailed a new one and a pre paid return shipping box for the old one. Here's some pictures of the drop-ins.

As you can see, apparently there really is a Cree tint lottery. Just make sure you buy from a good dealer

green:
59635457.jpg

White
74179306.jpg

Green
66886115.jpg

White
85734812.jpg

Greg G

Enlightened
I bought a DeeReelight DBS smooth reflector and XP-G pill recently. The tint is nice and cool, about like a WC XR-E. No green.

I like this combo a lot. A lot of throw and a surprisingly smooth beam for a smooth reflector. DeeReelight has very good reflector designs IMO. Consistently good.