Help me pick a new 2AA light :)

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
First, I've been through a Fenix L2D (olive, textured, Q4), Quark AA NW, AA^2, Mini, and a few other lights, but havn't really found one I like.

What I'm looking for must fit the following:
AA^2 NiMH
XP-E or XP-G
No inf. variable output. Something like the L2D was pushing the max of acceptable modes, while I'd personally prefer a 2 or 3 stage light (maybe with hidden modes).
Lightweight, like a L2D, but not like a TK20.

Any suggestions?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go back in time to when things are simpler.
Fenix L2T v2.0
Same twist head operation as the L2D but only 1 mode in each head position.

If you want the latest LED you will have to put up with the latest UI as well. Even the latest 2AA minimagLED is multimode.

Radiophile

Enlightened
Go back in time to when things are simpler.
Fenix L2T v2.0
Same twist head operation as the L2D but only 1 mode in each head position.

+1

Love my L2T v2.0. I got mine in a round about way. I bought a Leatherman LGX200 on eBay for $20 (rebranded Fenix L1T v2.0), then bought an an L2D body and tailcap on http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/

The head works with either 1AA or 2AA (2AA gives you another 50 lumens according to Fenix - it is noticably brighter). Now I can choose to carry it as a 1AA for easy EDC, or carry it with 2AA when I want a longer lasting and/or brighter flashlight.

Plus, I also have the option of two different styles of tailcap and switch. The tailcap that came with the LGX200 is forward clicky that isn't able to tailstand but is very easy to use, and the tailcap that came with the L2D body is reverse clicky and can tailstand.

I also bought a P2D body and tailcap so I can run it on a CR123 and have a really short flashlight and again with either style of tailcap.

I'm into the LxT v2.0 lego for about $75, but I've got LOTS of options!

shark_za

Enlightened
What about infinitely variable there if you want it?

The iTP SA-2 would meet your specification quite nicely.
Use it Low-Medium-High-Strobe or just use it on the mode of your choice.

Single mode switch with a 2nd switch to change the modes but only if you want.

Another choice, flush reverse clicky or protruding forward clicky.

Or use the infinitely option on any setting you like. Again only if you want.
Its an awesome single mode light you can setup in any way you want.

I really like my LGX200 (L1Tv2) and do use it with the 2xAA 2D body but the SA-2 is probably better for general use. (Brighter and more efficient in the lower modes)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I've been through a Fenix L2D (olive, textured, Q4), Quark AA NW, AA^2, Mini, and a few other lights, but havn't really found one I like.

What I'm looking for must fit the following:
AA^2 NiMH
XP-E or XP-G
No inf. variable output. Something like the L2D was pushing the max of acceptable modes, while I'd personally prefer a 2 or 3 stage light (maybe with hidden modes).
Lightweight, like a L2D, but not like a TK20.

Any suggestions?

have you considered a Jetbeam Jet I EX? It's a individually programmable 3 mode 2xAA light, the strobes and all need never be seen if you dont want them to. They're available at at bugoutgear

jenskh

Enlightened
Dereelight Javelin is a wonderful light. It is very compact for beeing a 2AA P60 host.

mkozlows

Newly Enlightened

So what didn't you like about the Quark AA^2? Because if it was just the UI, then I agree with the upthread poster that the Tactical version (which lets you do a one-time programming job of assigning two levels to the tight/loose bezel positions, and then stays out of your way) fits all your requirements.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
So what didn't you like about the Quark AA^2? Because if it was just the UI, then I agree with the upthread poster that the Tactical version (which lets you do a one-time programming job of assigning two levels to the tight/loose bezel positions, and then stays out of your way) fits all your requirements.
Anyone have suggestions for places in Canada to order these various models? I'm interested in a simple to operate model but with good output too, so the Quark AA2 and EagleTac P100A2 both sound interesting but I don't want to order from the US as customs, exchange, and shipping costs make it far too expensive.

NEVERMIND...found the 4sevens.ca website on this forum and have gone ahead and ordered a Quark AA2 Tactical. I was able to input the discount code for CPF and will see if it all goes through ok.

Last edited: