LED LENSER P7 running on Nimh rechargeable batteries

Talster

Newly Enlightened
I have a LED LENSER P7. It's a good little torch, but I find that after a couple of hours or so that the initial light output starts to drop. I currently use AAA alkaline batteries in it.
I was thinking that to overcome this problem, I could purchase some Nimh 850 or 1000 mah rechargeable batteries and charger, and basically when I have used the torch for an hour or so I could pop the batteries on charge to give me back that initial brightest output.
Would doing what I have mentioned above give me the desired affect, or with them been rechargeable batteries would it not work like that.

Egsise

Banned
Yes.
Use LSD NiMH's if you don't need to charge every week or two.
Sanyo Eneloop, RayOVac Hybrid, Panasonic Infinium etc are very good even though they have only ~800mAh.

LL does not recommend the use of rechargeables because the P7 is not designed to handle them.
Many people do use rechargeables in LL P7 without problems.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH batteries will give constant output until they are almost exhausted. So full brightness then going dark very fast. Depending on the battery and the light this could be as little as 10 seconds.

Older design NiMH lose their charge fairly quickly just sitting there so you have to charge them up every week or 2 even when not used.

The LSD kind (look for PRE-CHAGED on the box) hold the charge much better so only need to charge them every 6 months if not in use. I charge mine after every extended use or during the switchover from standard time to daylight saving time. Change clocks, replace battery in smoke alarm, charge LSD batteries.

Practically all LSD cells come from 1 of 2 factories so it does not matter what brand you buy for using in a torch.
Digital cameras seem to prefer Eneloops or the rebranded 'Duraloops' (Duracell pre-charged WHITE TOP, MADE IN JAPAN). Duracell also carries batteries from the other manufacturer (Duracell pre-charged MADE IN CHINA) which is fine for torches, not so good for digital cameras.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the result of the test I have performed on my P7 at high level with 4 Energizer 800 mAh NiMH cells:

5xsv81.jpg

:wave:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the runtime graph Kilovolt!

Using NiMh cells one could think it's a graph for a regulated light.
It would be very interesting to see the graph for alkalines, do you intend to make that?

Regards, Patric

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link,

It's obvious that NiMh works better than alkalines, though Ledlenser "forbid" them. I have P14 and I guess the runtime graph looks identical but with better runtime.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have a P7, it's about a year old. I run AAA Imedion NiMH batteries in it and also occasionally some "PowerPlus" NiMH.

On these batteries the torch runs long and like the graph it does have a fairly quick dimming at the end of the batteries' charge but once it gets to around that 110 minute mark it levels out at a very useable low light for a very long time and will not leave you stranded.

I tested this on a set of the PowerPlus batteries a couple of weeks ago for anothe thread on here and after the batteries started to dim heavily as per the graph I found that it levelled out to a light intensity that was somewhere between Nitecore D10 on minimum and my Fenis L1D on low setting and stayed that way for at least forty minutes.

I always swore I'd stick to Alkalines in my P7 but now that I've used NiMH for a while I'd never go back. The torch loves them.

LeifUK

Enlightened
This question really belongs in the batteries forum. But, I would go for Low Self Discharge cells, such as Eneloop or Panasonic Infinium. Apparently some AA Eneloops are also rebranded by Duracell and others but not all Duracell LSD cells are Eneloops, only the white topped ones. Not sure if that applies to AAA sizes. Avoid cheap brands, and some people here say bad things about Energiser. Not that I know. Don't buy from the links you give. 7DayShop is MUCH cheaper. Not the fastest delivery though.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
7DayShop seems to be good dealer, but what I can see they unfortunately don't ship international.

Regards, Patric

ryujinmaru

Newly Enlightened
don't have a P7, but i can say i use eneloops for most household devices nowadays. amazon uk stock them, together with a few reputable amazon marketplace sellers, for fairly decent prices

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast