4Sevens Preon - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Preon Series POSTED FOR CONSIDERATION FOR THE REVIEW FORUM:

4Sevens has breathed new life into the AAA cell by offering the Preon series of lights. More than a collection of individual flashlights, the Preon Series offers something akin to a buffet of options allowing you to truly make the light your own.

4Sevens Preon Series

Meat and Potatoes

Aluminum or Titanium? How many cells? Clip, keychain, smooth? Twisty or clicky? Pick your color. These are the decisions that have to be made if you choose to go with a Preon. Built on a base of the slim AAA cell, the Preon is large light performance in an unassuming package. The use of a durable, solidly attached, deep-carry clip with the twisty Preon I makes for a light so easily pocketable and unobtrusive that it is nearly possible to forget you are even carrying it. There is now no excuse to not have a light with you at all times.

The Preons play host to the same winning user interface as the Q-MiNi lights. A simple Low-Medium-High sequence with 4 special modes hidden away where they won't be accidentally activated. It is a good UI for a light that might be loaned out to the uninitiated since it only takes a few seconds to learn the basics. The three levels have been well spaced and carefully chosen to give noticeable increases in output or significantly better efficiency. Producing 70 lumens for almost an hour from an AAA cell is no mean feat, and increasing that to 160 with only one more cell is simply astounding.

The use of the XP-G in such a small textured reflector creates a beautiful smooth, floody beam that is perfect for close to medium distance illumination. There is a spot to spill transitional corona that further increases its usability. This light does use PWM to accomplish its multiple modes, however due to its extremely high frequency (2.6 khz I believe) this is completely a non-issue during use.

Preons with their XP-G's

4Sevens proprietary matte finish anodizing for these lights is still being touted as type III, and after several weeks of torture testing I find I am inclined to agree. One of these Preon I's was assigned the dreaded keychain duty for the duration of my testing. The only noticeable wear was at the point of contact between the body and the split ring used for attachment. The remainder of the body survived the incessant jangle and repeated drops quite admirably.

Constructive Criticism

Though the unique anodizing of the Preons does help to provide extra tackiness to the grip, it is still the dead middle of an arid winter here in the midwest. Between the lack of knurling and stiffer threading I was often left struggling for purchase when attempting one handed operation using the twisty interface. Even some subtle shaping would serve greatly to alleviate this trouble without even needing to resort to the standard rhombic knurling, thus still setting this light apart from the pack.

If the twisty is a little too difficult, the clicky option suffers from the opposite affliction. The protruding button of the clicky tailcap standard to the Preon II is so easy to push that accidental activation was the rule of the day. The frequency which I felt my pocket heating up from this light was quite surprising. In fact, I can confidently say that the interior of my pockets saw more of this lights runtime than I did during its time in the spotlight. Either stiffer springing or a more protected button is needed to reclaim this setup from a "shirt pocket only" designation in my book.

Tailcap options

Conclusions

The fact that an AAA based light can compete with and even outperform most 2xCR123A based lights from only a few years past highlights the incessant march of technology. To do so in such a simple, yet elegant form however, is just shooting for extra credit.

4Sevens Preon Series

Provided for the duration of the review by 4Sevens.com

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for this well thought out review. I particularly like the "real-world use" focus of the post - valuable information, not getting too bogged down in the materials used or the type of threading, etc.

Asbestos

Newly Enlightened
You can lock out the clicky with a slight twist to the head. Although this makes it a 2 step process to turn it on, I'm happy with it. My only complaint is the slightly greenish cool tint. I love everything else about it.

wingnut86

Banned
Not a fan of the Quark line, although I think a hands on use would change my mind...but I have been looking at these Preon's since they came out. What I like about them is the fact that you get both bodies, and both switches for only $50.

A couple of questions:
How do they run on alkaline cells?
And can the clicky be used on the Preon 1?

*Guessing your from MI as well...

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do they run on alkaline cells?
And can the clicky be used on the Preon 1?
Yes and yes. They come with Duracell AAA('s).

img1128p.jpg

DigMe

Enlightened
You'll get excellent runtime from an L92 though. If I recall correctly Selfbuilt's review showed 1:29 to 50% on high from an L92!

brad

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Great write up and nice pics. I appreciate your candid criticism as well. The lack of grip for a one-handed twist is holding me back. Thanks for the review.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really excited when this light was in the making, but it ended up not being for me. Too long for a single AAA and with clicky in pocket this thing would always be on and super long for pocket carry for me. I still think it is cool, but just not for me.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constructive Criticism

Though the unique anodizing of the Preons does help to provide extra tackiness to the grip, it is still the dead middle of an arid winter here in the midwest. Between the lack of knurling and stiffer threading I was often left struggling for purchase when attempting one handed operation using the twisty interface.
Thanks for this bit of feedback.

Having arthritic hands at a relatively young age, I even have difficulty operating the Fenix L0D Q4, iTP A2 EOS, and iTP A3 EOS lights one handed.

Sounds like the Preon is a no-go for me.

DigMe

Enlightened
Great write up and nice pics. I appreciate your candid criticism as well. The lack of grip for a one-handed twist is holding me back. Thanks for the review.

Personally I have had no problems operating mine one-handed in the dry colds of Wisconsin or the warmth of Texas. If you're older it might be harder though. I'm 34.

I turn mine on one-handed more than i use two hands.

brad

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Thanks, brad for your input. It is good to know that some people don't have trouble with the one handed twist. Now I am on the fence.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I have the Double AAA Solid TI pron and its one of my favorite lights.Very bright and handy.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
It tailstands very well in the clicky format also, but only if it's on.
Oh man, that's awesome. I think I am officially off the fence.:grin2:

One more question, ArdvarkSagus. You said that the anodizing has a slightly tacky feel to it. Is that true for the black as well?

Bronco

Enlightened
Well reviewed, Aardvark. The Preon I, in particular, really does offer an insane combination of extreme portability, high output and affordability.

A couple more data points for those considering this light. I have the Ti Preon I to which I added the Ti clicky. The Ti clicky is a slick bit of engineering. Very cool. Mine has not been 100% reliable, however. Occasionally I'll fully depress it and nothing will happen. Certainly not a huge deal as I'm not trusting my life to this light, and another click or two is all that's ever been required to get it going again. But it is worth noting.

The stainless pocket clip could use a touch of refinement as well. The tip of mine remains very rough where it was stamped from the sheet metal. It's not sharp enough to cut you, but when clipped to my pants pocket it will sometimes catch on other items. I'm afraid it's going to get pitched out some day.

All that being said, it's a neat little light that I'd be happy to recommend.