maglite

simonplatt

Newly Enlightened
i am looking for a decent light for cycling the unlit country lanes. i have several bike lamps but seems that torches are better/brighter.
i am considering a big (ish) maglite but want to use rechargeables. i understand that it is easy to convert a 3d maglite to use 4 c cell rechargeables (which i have hanging around already)

any advice appreciated.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am looking for a decent light for cycling the unlit country lanes. i have several bike lamps but seems that torches are better/brighter.
i am considering a big (ish) maglite but want to use rechargeables. i understand that it is easy to convert a 3d maglite to use 4 c cell rechargeables (which i have hanging around already)

any advice appreciated.

It is pretty easy to do that (just a PVC pipe to hold the battery centered, and a shortened spring), but not very useful IMO. 2C is the largest I've had success with mounting on the bars, and I can't say I was ever happy with my "duct-tape and baling-wire" methods of rigging my 4D along the side of the top tube.

Anyway, the important thing is the bulb -- I don't know of any very good incan bulbs for 4.8V; are you considering an LED build such as a P7? That's likely the best route for a 4C build, but you'll come out about the same price and certainly no more work buying a magicshine P7 bike light, taking it apart, and reworking any shoddy soldering, heatsinking, etc. compared to ordering all the parts and building a good LED Mag.