Thoughts on a C3-HA for EDC?

B

BULLDOG

I was thinking of carrying a C3 for EDC. I like the fact that it isn't really big and it is very bright. Does anyone do that now and how do you carry it, pocket, pouch, etc...?

Drjones

Enlightened
Some threads you might find useful:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=276655&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=274341&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

From what I've seen, most people would opt for a 2-cell over a 3-cell for any sort of carry application, unless they are LEO where they have a big belt.

It all depends on how much light you really want/need. Personally, I think it would be worth it and am planning on getting a C3 HA soon too.

Know of any good deals? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

interpol

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bulldog said:
I was thinking of carrying a C3 for EDC. I like the fact that it isn't really big and it is very bright. Does anyone do that now and how do you carry it, pocket, pouch, etc...?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just bought a C3-HA. You are correct - to me, the size is quite manageable and it IS very bright. Granted, it's not a light that you can easily carry in your jeans pocket. What I've been doing is just clipping the light onto the waist of my pants, which I admit isn't the best way to carry it, but I figure it will suffice until I find a nice holster for it.

Going back to the C3 - I work as an anesthesiologist at one of Los Angeles' county hospitals and I can say that every person I've shown this beauty to has been very, very impressed. Also, SureFire isn't kidding when they say the Type III HA finish is hard - this stuff is hard as a rock, and extremely tough. The light works great, especially in a dark operating room during laparoscopic surgery. In fact, it's so bright that one of the surgeons mistook the beam for one of the overhead surgical lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 9P, and love it. I guess it depends on what you call EDC.

I don't think anything larger than a Photon is small enough for real EDC.

Anything else just has to be relatively easy to carry; in a pocket, through the belt, etc., etc.

The 3 cell lithiums really reach out to touch someone, and I prefer it to my 6P, or Scorpion.

richpalm

Banned
Going back to the C3 - I work as an anesthesiologist at one of Los Angeles' county hospitals and I can say that every person I've shown this beauty to has been very, very impressed. Also, SureFire isn't kidding when they say the Type III HA finish is hard - this stuff is hard as a rock, and extremely tough. The light works great, especially in a dark operating room during laparoscopic surgery. In fact, it's so bright that one of the surgeons mistook the beam for one of the overhead surgical lights.

I like the sound of this-I am in the medical field also and have one on order now... I'll post my thoughts when it comes.

Rich

Blikbok

Enlightened
http://www.redheadsystems.com/personalpages/blikbok/c3-ha.html

I have a pair of C3-HA's, both with the M2 bezel and F70 beamshaper. They were $50-75 each cheaper than an M3. One has the P90 LOLA, the other the P91 HOLA.

http://www.redheadsystems.com/personalpages/blikbok/pic/p91-p90-512x480.jpg

(I don't like swapping LA's) I haven't found a pouch yet that I like, since I like horizontal carry. I don't EDC them, but one of these goes with me everywhere in my satchel. I EDC the E1/KL1, and grab one of these when I need more light. They aren't huge, barely larger than a MM.

http://www.redheadsystems.com/personalpages/blikbok/pic/c3-mm-kl1-e2e-512x512.jpg

When I carry them, like on Fourth of July, it's bezel up in the back pocket, clip through the belt. I'd like to find a horizontal pouch for it.

I find that when I need more light than the E1, the P90 is closer. Also the F70 beamshaper spreads the light more evenly, such that the hotspot doesn't blind me to the corona. All in all, a good solid light, not much bigger than the M2 but much brighter. My most used light after the A2. Maybe I would have gotten an M3, but the pair was <$250 all said and done.

Best of luck, let us know how you like it.

B

BULLDOG

After now playing with the M3, I might just skip over the C3 and carry the M3, little bit bigger but I will give it a try.

B

BULLDOG

FYI, I called Surefire and tech support said that the M2 bezel would NOT fit on the C3, I tried it and it worked fine, strange?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bulldog: some of surefire's tech support guys might not always be up to speed on all the stuff surefire carries. the M2 bezel will fit the C3 without any problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Bulldog said:
After now playing with the M3, I might just skip over the C3 and carry the M3, little bit bigger but I will give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm crazy about my M3-it goes to work with me in a Ripoffs CO-86 holster along with an X5t for backup. Size not an issue with me since I have large hands. Carried a Stinger anyway and that's longer.

Rich

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
anything larger than my C2 goes in my bag, so the increase in size of the M3 over the C3 doesn't really matter to me. the C3 with an M2 bezel does make for a very cost-effective alternative to the M3 though.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have to agree with Al. I have an M3T and I'm very happy with it. Had I the money at the time (and not had the C3's) I would have gone straight for the M3. I do believe that Al conseled me thusly when I first mentioned the C3's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But the C3+M2 is much better looking than the stock C3 and kinda unique. My goal was to improve on the C3, not try to be an M3.

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
I carry a 9P on and off duty where ever I go. I just got my first M3 and after comparing both the M3 & 9P, it seems that both of them have the same brightness. The only difference is that the M3 has a more creamy or yellow looking color than the 9P. The 9P is real white. I love both of these lights, and will more than likely get a couple more of the 3 batt versions before Surefire quits them all together.
I carry an early version E2 for a spare, along with my 9P. Cant go wrong with a 3 batt version surefire!!!!!!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've experienced the exact opposite to you - every P90 and P91 I've got (I believe I have a couple of each) have been less "brilliant" then the MN10 & MN11 lamps I have.

When I use a P90 model, I'm always thinking the batteries are less than fresh - I've even gone so far to swap the batteries over with an M3 and sure enough. the M3 performs with them.

Al