New guy with a wierd P60L failure

NickM

Newly Enlightened
Anyone seen this?
One year old 6P Led Defender, used very little (mounted on EBR), still on original batteries.
Light module has apparently failed.
Started out when function testing, click switch on, wait a second, and light comes on.
Tried a again, same thing. One more time, light does not come on for 10 seconds.
Now will not turn on at all, tested with bypassing switch.
Yes, I already have a call into Surefire, but it was after hours, so I won't hear anything until Monday.
tested with multimeter, switch has continuity, body has continuity, but module has resistance higher than what my meter can measure (max of 30 M ohms), so essentially open.
This was tested from positive to negative springs.

Nick

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
Have u had a chance to check the voltage of the battery and have u install another set of good battery in the light to see if it would work?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Anyone seen this?
One year old 6P Led Defender, used very little (mounted on EBR), still on original batteries.
Light module has apparently failed.
Started out when function testing, click switch on, wait a second, and light comes on.
Tried a again, same thing. One more time, light does not come on for 10 seconds.
Now will not turn on at all, tested with bypassing switch.
Yes, I already have a call into Surefire, but it was after hours, so I won't hear anything until Monday.
tested with multimeter, switch has continuity, body has continuity, but module has resistance higher than what my meter can measure (max of 30 M ohms), so essentially open.
This was tested from positive to negative springs.

Nick

I bolded the problem for you :)

Assuming it's not that, prepare to have the SF lovers descend on you :tsk:

dcycleman

Enlightened
yeah get new batteries, and try out some of those cheaper lights too, it'll make you appreciate the quality of your light even more.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Rocketman, you should really be ashamed of yourself.

Acting like that is completely unexceptional.

Not only is that not a nice way to treat a brand new member but its not a nice way to treat/talk to anyone.

Sarcasm or no sarcasm.

If you have nothing nice to say, or cant speak your mind in a nice manner then just dont say anything at all.

NickM sorry for the Rocketman's actions and welcome to the CPF. I am sure we can find a fix to your problem.

NickM

Newly Enlightened
Have u had a chance to check the voltage of the battery and have u install another set of good battery in the light to see if it would work?

Batteries both test to 2.98 volt on a DMM with no load-no way to test sag under load, but I have also tested with new Surefire batteries and new Panasonics with the same result.
Light now refuses to come on at all.
Testing the module itself for resistance reads open on highest range available on my meter, but I never tested before it acted up, so I don't know what is supposed to run.
One other data point, after it started this, and before it refused to come on at all, when it came on, it appeared significantly brighter than normal.
And no, I don't work for CPB, don't even know what that is?

Nick

wrf

Newly Enlightened
...Testing the module itself for resistance reads open ...

Nick,

:welcome:

Using an old analog meter and a similar LED module from a G2L, I get 10K ohms in one direction, and infinity in the reverse.

This old meter I'm using reverses polarity for measuring resistance so-to-speak. That is, as a power source the meter's red terminal is actually negative and the black is positive. So I have to reverse the connection to measure what I think I am.

Best wishes on your service call to Surefire.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
And no, I don't work for CPB, don't even know what that is?Nick

Customs and Border Patrol. They have quite a few EBRs, just a shot in the dark :)

Well, your the first person I've known to have a bad P60L. I think you deserve an award actually :party:

NickM

Newly Enlightened
Customs and Border Patrol. They have quite a few EBRs, just a shot in the dark :)

Well, your the first person I've known to have a bad P60L. I think you deserve an award actually :party:

Gee.....thanks.
How bout a working flashlight? LOL.
I'm sure Surefire will resolve it.
No, I don't work for Border Patrol, just a regular arfcommer.

Nick

NickM

Newly Enlightened
Nick,

:welcome:

Using an old analog meter and a similar LED module from a G2L, I get 10K ohms in one direction, and infinity in the reverse.

This old meter I'm using reverses polarity for measuring resistance so-to-speak. That is, as a power source the meter's red terminal is actually negative and the black is positive. So I have to reverse the connection to measure what I think I am.

Best wishes on your service call to Surefire.

Doh! :oops:diode=one way...
Reverse the connection, and it goes up and down, from .5 M ohm to 6.5 M ohm, and no pattern or regular pattern.
I think it truly is fuxxored.

Nick

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire will just send you one, might even be here before the end of the week.

This is still a miracle for anti-SureFires though.

knightrider

Enlightened
Sorry guys... but I also had a P60L arrive dead to me inside a 6PL. It was 2-3 years ago, one of the first batches probably. Light did nothing at all, tested with other 100% batteries, in a C2, no luck. Sent defective one back to SF, received new P60L - all is well.

I have had bad switches that I had SF replace, but this was the first actually light with a serious problem. I agree with SF that the P60L module is better replaced with a full bezel for robustness - saying this since it seems SF is moving away from the P60 led modules and moving towards full heads instead.

P60 led modules always seem cheap, even the SF, to me. The only real quality P60 drop-in I've handled and used is the Malkoff. Seems very durable and is potted also, would trust it for many uses.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My P60L came missing a chip of reflective coating so can see a bit of (copper?) in that small area. It doesn't seem to harm the beam so never contacted SF.

Last edited: