An LED equivalent to SL-20x?

houtex

Enlightened
Is there a LED flashlight that anyone would consider to be the LED twin of the standard cop light. In size,weight,battery,UI and toughness as the Streamlight SL-20X Flashlight but with a higher power longer running all LED emitter?
STR20203_2.jpg

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I would recommend the Pelican 8060. The only thing is its that hard plastic compared to the alumium SL SL-20x. My partner has it and it throws pretty good. You might consider since it gets hot and real cold in TX depending on the time of the year. I doesn't have any features like strobe or dimmer though, that would be nice. I carry small lights but if you plan to get a big light for whacking purposes the 8060 looks and feels rugged enough to give and take a beating.

houtex

Enlightened
I've never really cared for plastic bodied lights,also with a light this size I'd really like to see 300 or more lumens.Thanks though.

redflash

Newly Enlightened
houtex, you might look at the Malkoff wildcat. Seems to the best replacement for a SL20x that I have found. There are several threads on Malkoff products. I think some LEO's are using them. I have had a SL20x since 1990 and still it is my goto light. There are other high power LED lights out there and there are a LOT of lights scheduled for release very soon from manufacturers such as Olight, Jetbeam, and 4sevens. Thrunite has the catapult out now. Reviews are available for the Catapult.

Personally, I like the "warm" tint lights. If that is a factor for you, it would be something to keep in mind because not all manufacturers offer different tints. The Wildcat can be found at malkoffdevices(dot)com

:)

lastdefender

Newly Enlightened
I am at a loss as to why Streamlight doesn't use the C4 LED in their SL20X. I have the C4LED Strion as a back-up light and the SL-20X as primary. That C4 Strion is like looking into the sun. Amazing output for such a small package. I can only image what output a SL-20X C4 cree LED would have.

Why is Streamlight not releasing this product? I'm tired of my SL-20X poopuing out after 1/2 hour of steady use. :shakehead I have gone to the expense of ordering the Terralux LED 200 lumin drop-in LED and a 3500mAp upgraded battery.

When the 600 lumen LED is available, I might upgrade to that depending on how well the 200 works.

Streamlight.... are you there?:twak:

Rocketman

Enlightened
It's like this. Flashlight technology has advanced to include the driver circuitry and the battery technology. The Stinger LED is the replacement for your SL-20X and the Strion LED is sort of a replacement for the Stinger LED. My brother is still using his SL-20X as his duty light and his Stinger incandescent for backup in my town on patrol. When I talk to him about it he keeps on talking about hitting something with it lol. As a C.O., I cannot use my light as a weapon. At least, I'm not allowed to bring large lights downrange.

If you want a club, use your SL-20X. If you want a flashlight, you really need to go with the Stinger LED (the aluminum model, it's nice, don't get the fast charger get the regular piggyback charger) or the Strion LED or some other current technology light.

I don't think you can have both in a current generation light. You are a victim of technological advancement. Carry a nightstick IMO.

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
The SL20 is reguired by the Houston Police Department. It's never been said but I think they want you to have that long aluminum flashlight just in case.;). If I have to carry it,I want it to have great output,esp if I'll be working nights for at least the next 3 years.