Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 or Intel Celeron ULV 743

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I'm hankering for a 11.6" Acer Aspire Note(Net)book and I know nothing about these 2 processors. Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 is 1.4GHz while the Intel Celeron ULV 743 is 1.3 GHz. Price difference is $20 more for the Celeron. Everything else is the same with 2GB RAM DDR2, 250GB HD, 1366X768. Which would you choose and why?

BTW, I'm choosing Acer because of the full sized keyboard (a requirement) and long battery life. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a HP, and this has been working flawlessly. Plus it is 2.2GHz processor with DDR3 RAM, and a 500G hard drive. It has a full size keyboard. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...lack/9556287.p?id=1218123846583&skuId=9556287
I'm hankering for a 11.6" Acer Aspire Note(Net)book and I know nothing about these 2 processors. Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 is 1.4GHz while the Intel Celeron ULV 743 is 1.3 GHz. Price difference is $20 more for the Celeron. Everything else is the same with 2GB RAM DDR2, 250GB HD, 1366X768. Which would you choose and why?

BTW, I'm choosing Acer because of the full sized keyboard (a requirement) and long battery life. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

daimleramg

Banned
I would wait a bit longer, USB 3.0 is just around the corner with transfer speeds up to 4.8Gbps. The only way to take advantage of this speed is to have a hard drive that is rated at 6Gbps. Otherwise normal hard drives rated at 3Gbps can not see the speed jump. If you dont wait for a new machine with USB 3.0 ports you would have to use expresscards, thats if this note/netbook has that expansion.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - there are so many ways to decided on computers - it gets interesting.

Let me instead suggest what not to buy - Toshiba, NEC, and Sony. I won't go into the "why" except to say that each has products that are excellent, but laptops are not it.

Acer makes a lot of the computers for other firms as well, but I can't say they do a particularly good job of taking care of their own needs.

HP used to stand for "high priced", but they are actually quite competitive. I particularly like HP's driver support - perhaps one of the best out there.

One of the largest power consumers on a laptop is the screen backlight, so if that is really important, get an LED backlit screen - regardless of brand.

Celeron's just don't do it for me, I would istead go for an AMD Turion 64x2, but that is just me, and there are many opinions. 4 gig ram is the minimum I would consider for general use, and if possible, get one that can be expanded to 8 gig.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are dogs in my opinion, but given similiar clocks the Core Duo is the better box.

Twinkle-Plank

Newly Enlightened
I would wait a bit longer, USB 3.0 is just around the corner with transfer speeds up to 4.8Gbps. The only way to take advantage of this speed is to have a hard drive that is rated at 6Gbps. Otherwise normal hard drives rated at 3Gbps can not see the speed jump. If you dont wait for a new machine with USB 3.0 ports you would have to use expresscards, thats if this note/netbook has that expansion.

Find me one Hard drive that can max out existing SATA 3Gbps connections.