Driver Choices for ALKALINE Mag LED Mods?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well here is an introduction on my query..
I intend on making Cree Mag mods for selling around Greece...

I will be making the first one on a 3C Mag...I feel it is the perfect candidate for someone that will upgrade from incan to the Cree power at 1000mA with a longer batt duration AND in a smaller package than say a 3D or 4D mag

one thing I should keep is the alkaline batt options and another is keep the cost down...(the latter excludes more expensive drivers like the SandwichShoppe ones)...I will be staying with DX/KD ones, under proper advicing to the "customer"

So let's see our cases

2C & 2D
this is easy...no great drivers...maybe the micropucks

4C&4D
easier to come by....the only issue is if the 3.6-9V drivers will work at full power with 4C voltage under load...but this is easy to try & measure

3C&3D - AMC7135 drivers
hmmm...there can be issues with the AMC7135 drivers...maybe the batts will not cut it...as far as I have read here you need 4 batts to have a regulated output for a considerable time, but that expends more energy on heat....Maybe not a good option

My original idea was to drive an XPG on 1400mA....that seems not possible with alkalines...

3C&3D - 3.6V generic drivers
more tests needed....(right now I am more troubled of the lack of C&D batt holders locally)

So..any thoughts and suggestions not icluded here are wellcome...

BTW I am working on am add-on driver heatsink for the H22 heatsinks....will be back with a model once I get my first heatsinks...

thanks, Kostas

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mod'ed a 4C Mag to run a Seoul P7 on 4xC alkalines or NiMH using an SOB1000 driver. I also mod'ed a 2C Mag to run a Seoul P4 on 2xC alkalines or NiMH using a BBNG1000.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a Mag mod, but I've run a 4P MC-E using 2xC and 3xC powering a GD1000 boost-buck driver.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm , multi mode ? or one mode ...

I would go boost driver / Buck ? ...

2 to 3 cell = Buck boost driver ...

Emitter , XP-G ..

XP-G focus real well in a Maglite ...

I have a 2D converted to XP-G R4 , runs 6xAA .. and uses a 3-8.4v driver with 5 modes ... Fantastic .

I would recommend a 2 mode driver or possibly a 3 mode driver ..

KD has a new Buck boost driver that can be set to the modes you want .
Keep meaning to buy one .. Should work well with C or D cells

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow there's a LOT of great 2 cell drivers.
I've a tonne of bike lights I've done up.
Let me give a little run-down...

This driver is great! High output with healthy cells. Everyone should have one set up in an emergency light - takes two cells and gives you decent power until they are good and drained.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15880

This driver may 'chirp' on power-up. I haven't run this one on 2aa alkaline, but I've got it with 2 C alkaline and it had switch draw of 1.6A @2.6v on High (I don't know what that means, sorry, I just took the measures. With a q5 I read 3.5v before the emitter but didn't dis-assemble to check emitter current) These are 6mo old cells in an occasional use light. I lost slow flash on install and cannot say why. I've fed it 4.0v, don't recommend as it puts a lot of power to the led and the driver gets damn hot.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10084

This one is available at KD and some american company too. variable pot to adjust voltage.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7882

There are a few flavours of this one, constant current. I picked up 2 that were listed as 800ma. I guess they worked, not nealy as impressive as the two above.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25505

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multiple answer.....

I forgot about the DX 7882 one! and I do have 2 on hand...

Dx15880 & other buck/boost fdrivers .both me and old4570 have measured less than 1A with 2xAA....even with 1xCr123 it is low....the mod has no meaning unless it is a 1000mA one.

Kaidomain 10426...hmm I should try that...

GD1000 & SOB1000 ..I know but they are over the budget....and will be the mod price up accordingly....

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX15880 has apparently changed from what is shown on the web site. See this thread.

Between already having two DX7882s and at least one DX15880 (which apparently can't deliver the desired drive current), you've spent a good percentage of the price for one, solid GD1000 or SOB1000.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX15880...sad. I have 2 left, won't be giving them away I guess. That new board is only single sided, seems like completely new driver, I wonder why they kept sku# the same?