1000+ Lumen. Ok quality. Ok battery life. Not too expensive. Advice please!

IVerE

Newly Enlightened
Hello, fellow forum users!

This is my first post here. I am sure my question is one that pops up from time to time in this forum, and I have read quite a few messages here over the last few days, but haven't really found a good answer to it.

Why not have a "sticky" message in the forum which could be updated on a regular basis with purchase advice, e.g. lists of flashlights with performance data, avg. price etc. divided into categories and with ratings based on the forum user's recommentdations? Sort of telling what is the best products avaliable at the moment...

I am looking to get a good and powerful allround flashlight, not an extreme thrower, but still with good reach, with focusing if possible. It should have plenty of light (the more the better!), several power levels and reasonable battery life. Is it possible to get such a thing for a few hundred dollars? I don't want it to be very big, 300-1000g would be ok.

Thanks for any help!

bullettproof

Enlightened
Your gonna have to just look around and see what you like and go to the reviews section and do searches.Theirs to many lights constantly coming out. You will get 100 opinions on which light is wonderful. Look around first and do some researching.

And one thing to remember is good things dont come cheap and cheap things dont last.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
There are very few real 1000 lumen production flashlights out there. Most of the '900 lumen' flashlights in the last 2 years are 350-600 lumens.
To get over 1000 OTF lumens you need multiple SSC-P7/MC-E emitters such as ElektroLumens FireSword
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=187587
or a SST-90 emitter such as ElektroLumens Blaster, the Next Generation
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199637
ElektroLumens has stopped production of the Blaster TNG and most others are still in R&D though expected soon.
If you just want the brightest reasonable light look at the Fenix TK40 8AA 630 lumens.

A little out of date but
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224437

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
1,000+ lumens with focusing ability eliminates 100% of your choices, AFAIK.
That leaves you to getting a mod light.

Or if you're interested in, say, 600-900 lumens without focusing. Then there are a handful of stock lights available. :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, you should be able to find something, especially if you skip on the focusing feature.

Also, from what I understand, there has to be quite a lot of difference in lumens for you to even notice a difference so something around the 6-900 range that zeruel suggested might just be enough for you.

Have you ever seen a light running in that range or did you just kinda pick a lumen value? No offense since many people do that and i have done that too.

I dont' personally know what's what and which ones have the real lumen but I think you'll find one here though.

Also, we were thinking of making a list of all the flashlights out there but not many people were interested in contributing which actually surprised me. I didn't want to do it myself because I actually have LITTLE knowledge and wouldn't know if the data I added, especially from manufacturers sites would be correct.

GEorge

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast X7 with 1070 lumens is one of the brightest hand-held flashlights ever made. The speed focus technology of the X7 allows you to adjust the focus from a spot to flood simply by pulling back or pushing forward on the top section of the bezel. The X7 LED flashlight has a durable aluminum body with 3 brightness levels. A momentary touch of the switch at any time will give you Maximum brightness of 1070 lumens. Clicking the switch will give you additional low and high brightness modes. http://www.batteryjunction.com/led-lenser-coast-x7.html
a_68u.jpg

Features of Coast X7 LED Lenser 8437 LED Flashlight:
  • LED technology - LEDs are energy efficient, long-lasting, compact and durable
  • Speed Focus gives you beam adjustment from spot to flood
  • LED Lenser optics gives you brilliant light
  • 3 brightness modes
  • easy-to-use pushbutton switching
  • a momentary press of the switch gives you Max brightness from any mode
  • durable aluminum construction
  • advanced focus system, multi optics
  • powered by 4 ea D-cell alkaline batteries*, included
  • includes shoulder strap (attaches with 2 removable collars, included) batteries and carrying case

IVerE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your advice!

After having read a little and searched a lot on the web, I have reconsidered my needs:

1. 600-900 flashlight lumens is probably ok (the LL X7/X21 is way too big!)
2. Adjustable focus is not a must as long as the light has a reasonable flow&throw.
3. Water resistance would be nice!
4. I want regulated LED and several power levels!
5. Good battery life on low/medium.
6. Small size is not a bad thing :eek:

Are there any SST-50/90 lights or multi Cree MC-E lights or scimilar out there yet that would do this? I do want a standard product, not a mod.

One of you recommended the Fenix TK-40, and it seem to be a very nice product from what I can see. Size is right etc., but it says 630lu max. If this is LED lumens, that would mean ~400 "real" lumens right? On the other hand you have products like the 2000lu Wiseled Tactical, which must be a fantastic flashlight. But unfortunately it is a bit too expensive for me. Here in Norway it is ~$1000(!). Something in-between these two would be nice! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your advice!

After having read a little and searched a lot on the web, I have reconsidered my needs:

1. 600-900 flashlight lumens is probably ok (the LL X7/X21 is way too big!)
2. Adjustable focus is not a must as long as the light has a reasonable flow&throw.
3. Water resistance would be nice!
4. I want regulated LED and several power levels!
5. Good battery life on low/medium.
6. Small size is not a bad thing :eek:

Are there any SST-50/90 lights or multi Cree MC-E lights or scimilar out there yet that would do this? I do want a standard product, not a mod.

One of you recommended the Fenix TK-40, and it seem to be a very nice product from what I can see. Size is right etc., but it says 630lu max. If this is LED lumens, that would mean ~400 "real" lumens right? On the other hand you have products like the 2000lu Wiseled Tactical, which must be a fantastic flashlight. But unfortunately it is a bit too expensive for me. Here in Norway it is ~$1000(!). Something in-between these two would be nice! :)

Thanks!
Just wait for the new SureFire UB3T.

Egsise

Banned
One of you recommended the Fenix TK-40, and it seem to be a very nice product from what I can see. Size is right etc., but it says 630lu max. If this is LED lumens, that would mean ~400 "real" lumens right? On the other hand you have products like the 2000lu Wiseled Tactical, which must be a fantastic flashlight. But unfortunately it is a bit too expensive for me. Here in Norway it is ~$1000(!). Something in-between these two would be nice!
I recommend TK40 too.

What flashlights do you use now?
Any price range?

IVerE

Newly Enlightened
Right now I have nothing proper (Maglites etc.). I have a Fenix LD10 on order and thought I'd complement it with a more powerful flashlight. My price-range is roughly <$500.

I just discovered the Wolf-Eyes Superstorm (~1400lu). Could that be something? A little heavy perhaps...

HKJ

Flashaholic
One of you recommended the Fenix TK-40, and it seem to be a very nice product from what I can see. Size is right etc., but it says 630lu max. If this is LED lumens, that would mean ~400 "real" lumens right?

The TK40 is out the front lumen. Other candidates in the same range are Fenix TK30, OLight M30, EagleTac M2....
With more throw Catapult and JetBeam M1X are also good (And do not believe the lumen specification for it, that specification is for the gen 1 model).
All these lights are close in output, but has different beam shape.

joe1512

Enlightened
You could always 'roll the dice' a bit and try something from Deals Extreme.

A search for P7 will give you quite a few choices.

A search for SST-50 will give you some lights that are probably really bright, with free shipping worldwide.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31869

It says 1250 lumens which is probably way overstated. But read the forum underneath it. It is driven with 2 18650s, so probably does pack a good amount of power for $70 or so.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire WF-1300L, it's cheap (150 $ on ebay), not too big (19cm length), around 1300 lumens with 7x SSC-U2, good throw and flood too:

8.JPG

Here is a Fenix TK-40 in comparison:
8.JPG

Take a look at this great beamshot comparison:
http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

I got my WF-1300L and i'm very satisfied with it. As bright as my 24W Microfire HID but with instant on/off. Much brighter than any other of my LED-lights, for example Eagletac M2XC4.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
that ultrafire is $145 at battery junction. if i were to own it, id probably send it to one of cpf custom modders and have them 'tune' it, replace any questionable parts etc so it becomes a rugged reliable light unlikely to fail.

for $250 1300 lumens for 120 minutes is hard to beat

and it has low and strobe :thumbsup:

joe1512

Enlightened
I think he maybe should have qualified 'cheap'. 150 bucks for a flashlight is not what I would consider cheap!

DX has some 40 dollar P7s, and they would be a good budget choice. Only about 300-400 lumens worth though, since their 900 Lumen spec comes from the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE output of a P7, which their lights don't come close to driving.

That one I linked you with the SST-50 would be a good step up... however it uses 2 18650s, so is fairly long.

One I am looking at anxiously is at http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=211427 for 70 bucks.