Question about Fenix PD10

shinank

Newly Enlightened
I just got my PD10 from 4Sevens.

I can't get this light to reliably change modes. I have tried cleaning the threads, contacts, etc... multiple fresh primaries and I cant seem to make it work correctly.

I either get the following:
1. Light does not turn on at all
2. lots of flickering between modes and at the start of modes

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have a defective PD10?

TIA.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you check the retaining ring in the tailcap for looseness? There are two dimples in the aluminum ring that you can put tweezers, scissors, or needle nose pliers into to see if it is tight.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The PD10 is a twistie, so there is no retaining ring for a clickie.

The head could be bottoming out before a good contact is made. But It's hard to tell. You might want to go for a replacement.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I feel like a dummy, because I had a PD10. Mine had similar issues, mode skipping, flickering, etc. I kept it for one day before sending back for a refund. It might have something to do with the new spring loaded negative contact.

shinank

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I am glad Im not the only one. I kept thinking what am I doing wrong. I have a EX10, RRT-0 2 Mini 123's and an E01. Never had a problem using a light before.

I tried again with 2 fresh primaries and no light at all. Looks like my first DOA. Oddly enough, it also came with the clip for the PD20+ instead of the one for the PD10. I have requested a return already.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P1D also had a spring loaded negative contact and mine works pretty well eve after I modded it. Could be something else too.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my PD10. Sometimes it happens that it slightly flickers between modes or when start, but I have discovered that I need to be definite when turning the head. Actually the problem was big when I first got it. But after cleaning the contacts with a fiberglass brush it was much better.

Regards, Patric

shinank

Newly Enlightened
I hope that is not the case with all Fenix lights as they ship from the factory.

I like my PD10. Sometimes it happens that it slightly flickers between modes or when start, but I have discovered that I need to be definite when turning the head. Actually the problem was big when I first got it. But after cleaning the contacts with a fiberglass brush it was much better.

Regards, Patric

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I have a PD10-Ti and a PD20 and neither of them have the modes work on a fully charged RCR-123. On a primary they work fine, but according to Lighthound they are made to work at 3v but at 4.2 they go into a protection mode (turbo) that I assume is direct drive, so no modes. When the voltage comes down a bit, 3.5v or so, the modes start working. I assume on a LiFEPO4 rechargable it would work better but I don't have any, and don't plan to buy any.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Mine arrived to day late xmas present for my mum as another supply could not deliver what I had originaly ordered anyway very dissapointed, mine also skips modes with a brief flash and the you a mode it flickers about 50% of the time if it works at all Ive cleaned with ipa and relube 4 times tried working the threads IE screw tight and loose a few times as well to bed in but is the same tried to contact the supplyer but they seem to be shut today will call them on monday ut getting desprate as mum is going on holiday on tuesday.
If anyone has a permant fix that would be great.

shinank

Newly Enlightened
I never expected to have others with the same problem. I thought I just got a bad unit. I have sent mine in for a refund. I plan on getting a Quark instead.

Mine arrived to day late xmas present for my mum as another supply could not deliver what I had originaly ordered anyway very dissapointed, mine also skips modes with a brief flash and the you a mode it flickers about 50% of the time if it works at all Ive cleaned with ipa and relube 4 times tried working the threads IE screw tight and loose a few times as well to bed in but is the same tried to contact the supplyer but they seem to be shut today will call them on monday ut getting desprate as mum is going on holiday on tuesday.
If anyone has a permant fix that would be great.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the threads on the heads of the P1D-CE and the newer PD10 are the same??

For example will the PD10 head fit on a P1D-CE body?

edit: In case you're wondering why....I have a leef P1DCE body and no head......want to upgrade it.

Last edited:

Rat6P

Enlightened
Just got word back from a retailer.
Apparently the PD10 has a smaller diameter, hence they are not compatible.