recs for a newbie's collection so far?

pwatcher

Enlightened
Hi, fellow flashaholics!
wink2.gif

I caught the bug early this month, and already have the following
flashlights on the way from cpfmp, "fleabay", and "big river":

3 Streamlights: Twin-Task 3C-UV (for scorpion hunting),
66118 Stylus Pro, and 61302 Argo HP C4 (Headmount)

Astro Aimer Gen II green laser (has red and white led also)

Zebralight: SC30 (Headmount)

3 Fenix's: TK11, p3d ce, and tk20
2 JetBeams: Raptor RRT-1, Jet-III M R2 Army Green
2 Surefires: 2a Aviator (used), 6p with malkoff m60wf
1 Quark: Mini 123 Ti NW (used)

other than waiting for announcements from shotshow 2010, are there
any obvious gaps in my little collection? I'd prefer not spending more than
$150 tops for any given light right now, as I'm on a fixed income and trying
to live within my means! :ohgeez:lovecpf

thanks everyone!!

paul from phoenix

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you've pretty much covered most cell sizes except perhaps for AAA lights for your keychain?

Many nice selections out there, you can look at the Fenix E01 (loooong runtime, 1xAAA, low output), the Fenix LD01 (3 modes, bright and even brighter running a lithium ion 10440)), iTP lights, maratacs, liteflux.

Or go for designer lights like the La Petite Killer with AAA tube (search for photonfanatic, he's the seller)

Other options for tiny lights like the Drake/Draco, Lummi's offerings (i own a Lummi Raw NS, it uses a special cell called a 14250) or go for Cr2 sized lights, like the Aeon.

The possibilities are endless :D

EDIT: or get a bigger light instead of smaller, TK40, M1X etc etc.

pwatcher

Enlightened
thanks for the ideas! I've added a few more since posting:

1) rje58's sf c3 on cfpmp,
2) inova t5 from fleabay, and
3) streamlight 74301 strion from big river.

I have a couple keychain led lights from before my collecting binge this month, and know better than to start looking at customs, as I made that costly "mistake" re knife collecting!

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree about a 1aaa light. The E01 is a good value in functional terms, but if you're looking for something more upscale, you could consider an Arc AAA, or even more upscale, an Arc AAA-Ti or McLux Sapphire 25 (very similar light). The PF LPK-AAA is similar in spirit to the Arc Ti or the Sapphire, but (in some configurations) more powerful. I'm not sure but I think Fred may have stopped making them. For a multi-level, even higher powered 1aaa, I do like the LD01 especially the stainless steel one. But you already have several Fenixes so the LD01 would just be another. Alternatively to a low powered 1AAA, the original LPK (powered by an SR44 button cell) is a wonderful possibility and really fits on a keychain much better than an AAA light (it's about 1/3 the size). You should also of course have several packs of Fauxtons (about $4.50 for a bag of ten) to give out to your friends.

I wouldn't be so terrified of custom lights. You will end up buying them anyway, after which you'll wonder what the heck to do with all the cheaper lights you bought earlier and which no longer satisfy. Also, with cheaper lights, it's harder to resist impulse buys. You end up spending $50 here, $100 there, and after a while you've spent enough to buy the custom light that you really wanted, instead of all those inferior substitutes. Once you start buying customs, the mass market lights become a lot less interesting and you won't buy as many, so the customs can actually save you money.

But, as we say, welcome to CPF and hang on to your wallet, it's going to be a breathtaking ride.

hoongern

Enlightened
Hmm.. you posted this in the general forums..

So unless you specifically mean LEDs, you're missing HIDS/Spotlights :D (And so am I, but I don't have $$ and "need" for it right now)

Unfortunately, most HIDs would probably be out of your range (costco hid maybe?), but if you like your A2 you could try a high-powered incandescent?

1AAA also would be good. I love the Liteflux LF2XT!

pwatcher

Enlightened
that E2DL looks very good indeed, altho it may overlap the size/features of a few I already have bought. still, I'm going to watch for any good deals! and also on the prowl for a nice AAA light, maybe in TI?

pwatcher

Enlightened
You must have a crystal ball, oh wise one!
ooo.gif

I'm inching closer to the danger zone with a couple of ti Quarks (mini 123nw and 2x123 tactical) and a bare ti La Petite Killer!

Besides these, I've added another dozen or so "regular" lights, after gleaning experience of others on CPF.

What's kind of funny is I've only taken delivery of just two of my purchases so far - Fenix TK11R2 and Fenix TK20. The mail delivery people are loving my patronage!

I'm to the point :broke: of needing some medicine for this addiction :sick:.

May have to stop being a retiree and go back to work so I don't have so much time on my hands!:popcorn:.

I agree about a 1aaa light. The E01 is a good value in functional terms, but if you're looking for something more upscale, you could consider an Arc AAA, or even more upscale, an Arc AAA-Ti or McLux Sapphire 25 (very similar light). The PF LPK-AAA is similar in spirit to the Arc Ti or the Sapphire, but (in some configurations) more powerful. I'm not sure but I think Fred may have stopped making them. For a multi-level, even higher powered 1aaa, I do like the LD01 especially the stainless steel one. But you already have several Fenixes so the LD01 would just be another. Alternatively to a low powered 1AAA, the original LPK (powered by an SR44 button cell) is a wonderful possibility and really fits on a keychain much better than an AAA light (it's about 1/3 the size). You should also of course have several packs of Fauxtons (about $4.50 for a bag of ten) to give out to your friends.

I wouldn't be so terrified of custom lights. You will end up buying them anyway, after which you'll wonder what the heck to do with all the cheaper lights you bought earlier and which no longer satisfy. Also, with cheaper lights, it's harder to resist impulse buys. You end up spending $50 here, $100 there, and after a while you've spent enough to buy the custom light that you really wanted, instead of all those inferior substitutes. Once you start buying customs, the mass market lights become a lot less interesting and you won't buy as many, so the customs can actually save you money.

But, as we say, welcome to CPF and hang on to your wallet, it's going to be a breathtaking ride.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very well put and dead on accurate. :thumbsup:

:welcome:

TriChrome

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as you Pwatcher, and started about a month ago.

I've told myself I'd stop buying (i.e. my representative collection would be finished) after I hit these milestones:

Small CR123 lights with decent spill/throw: check, have NiteCore SR3 for jacket carry, and NiteCore Extreme for my pocket. 2x el-cheapo Deal Extreme type aspherics.

P60 compatible legoable host: check, Surefire C2 with Nailbender SST-50 600 lumen drop-in, JetBeam extender on it's way.

LED Thrower: check, JetBeam M1X

Incandescent thrower: looking into Surefire M3T/M4 or KT? head for my C2 lego

Handheld HID: haven't researched this yet

3,000+ lumen Mag ROP, 1185, hotwire or similar for a sleeper light (looks just like regular MagLite until you turn it on).

Completely custom built silver/flashy light: waiting for Mac's to come out in 18650 form.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Tri, sure is fun though! Mailman just came with 5 more packages, so I'll have my work cut out this aft! Didn't see a regulated incan in your representative collection yet?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've avoided customs and spent total in the realm of 1-2 customs so you can avoid it.

AAA (and there are lots of great options) has already been mentioned for a small pocket/keychain light. You might also look at the Photon Freedom in the small lights category. Unique ramping interface among coin cell key chain lights.

If you use the lights a lot looking at rechargable options for the ones that use lithium primaries can save you money in the long run. It takes some due diligence to ensure proper functioning and to make sure you understand how to avoid the safety issues. It's a way to explore and play with the technology and keep learning at the same time.

Since you have 2 P60 hosts and seem to go for warm LED's you might explore some of the incandescent lamp assemblies available as well. Matching batteries with bulbs for the output/runtime you want is a whole other set of things to keep you interested and playing without necessarily going off the deep end in light purchases.

Maybe a Solarforce L2m (the 18650 capable version as well). A well made inexpensive p60 host that gives you some lego capabailty with your other Surefire C series lights and makes a decent beater light to stash in a car or use when you don't want to abuse them.

Last edited:

pwatcher

Enlightened
very unique handle, baterija! think I'm going to skip for now the extreme small and large, but I did win a couple small lights today on fleabay: Inova XO3 and a Led Lenser "hocus focus" type lights. Spent most of today getting acquainted with the different UI's of Fenix, vs Quark, vs Jet. It's going to be hard to remember the differences once I get a few more lights in the mix. But I'll quickly see which I'm most comfortable with, I hope!

GRB3

Newly Enlightened
Now I've got the custom bug. How do us newbies get started?? Something roughly the size of a Fenix T1 or a little smaller. :drool:

pwatcher

Enlightened
have you been frequenting the marketplace forums for ideas on customs? some of the prices (and artistry/craftsmanship) are mind boggling!

GRB3

Newly Enlightened
I would be in over my head. I'll need a little guidance.

pwatcher

Enlightened
I would be in over my head. I'll need a little guidance.
GRB3, what I have been doing is lots and lots of reading, especially reviews with beamshots and comparisons of runtimes among different flashlights. I don't recall researching the Fenix T1, but I like Fenix brand and am getting some hands on with their models TK11R2, TK20, and P3D. I'm pretty impressed with all three of these, and they are a nice smallish size.

GRB3

Newly Enlightened
I don't comprehend well so reading is not my long suit. But, I'm trying. I bought a E1L that works well as an everyday carry but I'm not going to get this next itch scrached until I find a lot of power......more than my Fenix TK 130