L1-E1 Mod with BB500 & R2H

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well after seeing just how bright the R2H is in a PM6 at 400 mA, I wanted to see how one did behind a NX05. I combined this with a desire to re-work a L1 bezel I had:

E1-L1.jpg

for an idea of relative size:

comparison.jpg

I just installed one of YC's "clickie" mods in the non LOTC to give the little guy full features.

The driver is a BB500 and the light is bright but can't come close to the throw of the much larger PM6.
- Don

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donny boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Where art thou obtainus R2Hus? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is from the shoppee. but he ran out of these little gems

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,
Nice mod, I will be attempting a R2H/BB500 in a Brinkmann Nexstar 2C. The 30mm optic will be riding with the light so things will get interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Mcgizmo, you are truely talented, How much would it co$t to get that little beauty off your hand$? a Kidney perhaps?

GREAT!

Alex

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Details......need...to...see...details....gasp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Don, you're raising the bar once again, still.

Dan

yclo

Flashaholic*
Cool! Good to see my mod in a good host.

You should start modding the "winelights", the E2e/E1e's in red are quite attractive.

-YC

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm, can you post beamshot pic, please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
YC,

The L1 uses the same pyrex lens that's in the E(x)e's and KL4 heads.

Shiftd,

A beam shot would look like any other HD + NX05 combination.

P-Dan

I designed a simple part I am calling an "E-can" for need of a name that allowed the tight packaging of components in this light. I am having a bunch of the E-cans made and they will be available in the shoppe for modders as well. The E-can allows for a polarity protected installation of one of Wayne's converter boards where the board is digested within the battery tube of the E body, McLux power tail or other 123 sized flashlight. In addition to housing the converter, the E-can, by design provides the anode and cathode contact surfaces for Vin from the battery and battery tube.

E-Can.jpg

E-Can-E1.jpg

The E-can can be the back end for drop in modules designed for the E series heads as well as the larger SF lights. It allows for room forward to contain thick Luxeon heat sinks and heat sink/ pedestal combinations (turbo). There is also room for tandem converter board installations; an area that is just beginning to be explored.

- Don

yclo

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif to the E-can. Brass also?

Also, a stock L4 with 5W led has a slight dark center. Does the R2H equipped KL4 head have a dark center in the beam?

-YC

McGizmo

Flashaholic
YC,

The E-can is brass for ease of soldering the ground wire. There isn't as much mass as there appears to be and a ground lead can be soldered prior to installing the converter board. Once I get the parts, I will look into having them EN plated if it doesn't add too much to the cost.

A 1W HD in the L4 focuses with a great tight beam having no null in the center. The 1W has a die in the focal point whereas the 5W has a junction void where the four dies meet. I don't know if this is the cause of the slight null or not. Bottom line: the 1W HD and KL4 reflector are a great package, IMHO!

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, that is REALLLL nice. I love the idea and the implementation is supeeeer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
oh, did i mention you got a very clean mod? Very proffesional. Ohh, pretty too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike451

Newly Enlightened
Don,

Another *outstanding* mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Two questions:
1. What did you use as a potting compound?
2. How did you get it so smooth? Is it low viscosity before it cures?

Can't wait for the e-can to be available in the Sandwich Shoppe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Mike