Jetbeam RRT-0 & Fenix TK40 Review

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, this is my review of the Jetbeam RRT-0 SMO and Fenix TK40 LED lights. They were provided by Ethan at LightJunction.com (Thank You!!!) through the Great Holiday Prize Raffle/Contest. The packaging for both lights are pretty nice as you can see below, definitely gift worthy.

Power source
The TK40 is powered with Eneloops while the RRT-0 SMO is powered by a NiZn 1.6v AA.

Construction
Both lights are VERY well constructed and look like they can withstand plenty of abuse. The TK40's battery carrier was definitely not an after thought; it's quality is amazing and the labels make battery installation easy (although you should always double check to prevent reverse polarity). The only thing i don't like about the RRT-0 is that when you have the AA extender attached, it only takes 2 full turns to detach the head from the upper portion of the AA extender.

Output
What can i say? The TK40's output is simply jaw dropping. Its almost as bright as one of my car's headlights, i don't even dare to look into the business end with it in turbo mode. It wasn't fair to judge the RRT-0's output after seeing the TK40, but the RRT-0 can definitely hold its own weight. I'd say it puts out just about as much it was advertised (180 lumens). With a Nizn 1.6v AA battery it puts out about 200 lumens (I estimated this by comparing it to the TK40's output; Unfortunately i dont have any CR123's). Both lights have great beam quality but i would not say they're the best, they do have some flaws/artifacts.

Runtime
I haven't been able to test the runtime, only for the RRT-0. I got approximately 30-40minutes worth of runtime on high with the Nizn battery.

Conclusions
All in all i'd say the lights are pretty expensive but for what they're special for, its definitely worth the cost. Of course they both have flaws but they are at the top of current lighting technology and new stuff are always expensive at first. Unfortunately the RRT-0 i have is the first gen one with the pre-flash and tailstand problems but still a great light.

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

Size comparison (From left to right): Liteflux LF2XT, Quark Mini AA Neutral, Jetbeam RRT-0, Fenix TK40
DSC00260.jpg

Control Shot
DSC00261.jpg

TK40 in Turbo mode
DSC00262.jpg

RRT-0 in High mode
DSC00263.jpg

Quark Mini AA Neutral on High w/Nizn 1.6v AA
DSC00264.jpg

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. The TK40 sure is a beast. What are these artifacts in the TK40s' beam? - the TK40's I have seen have had a near perfect beam.

James.....:)

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Well because the TK40 uses an MC-E 4-die LED there is a very slight "+" shaped dark spot when you're 25ft or less from the wall. Its not noticeable unless you look for it. Also, the beam's hot spot is not circular, it is sorta fuzzy. But its really just me nitpicking hehe.