Actual lumen count for Maglites with Luxeon Rebel?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have accurate numbers for the 2AA, 3AA, 2D, or 3D Maglites with the Luxeon Rebel? I've found numbers for the Luxeon III versions, but not the Luxeon Rebel.

If anybody has the equipment and wouldn't mind testing, that would be appreciated. :twothumbs

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I sent an email to the Maglite and they replied that the 2AA version puts out 69 lumens. I can't vouch for it however as I don't own one myself. Hope this helps.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of each and I'm very impressed with them for the price I paid. My 2 d cell light throws a tight beam a long way.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I agree, I'm just wondering how it stacks up against more expensive lights. :)
I have the previous model MagLED 3D and Mini-MagLED with the Luxeon emitters and they work ok. From what I've read the only difference with the new Rebel emitter is the efficiency is higher, so it lasts a bit longer and runs a bit brighter for the same input. The Mini also has a multimode switch now. I liked both when I got them a few years ago, the 3D was to replace the old incandescent Mag I had but someone managed to break. But I never really liked the poor reflector design with the hole in the flood and rings but just figured that was typical. They have good runtime and better light output than the incandescent versions, which is why I bought them.

Then after seeing how good a small well made light works (a friend has a Fenix), I went shopping for a small light and foolishly bought an Element with the new Rebel in it at Home Depot. It's a simple design with just on/off, but I thought it would do the trick. But that was a mistake as it had no regulation, wasn't any brighter than my MagLED 3D and it dimmed a lot in an hour. I read about it afterwards and realized it has a poor design. But the spot and spill were nice with a well centered emitter and smooth lighting - I figured I would just deal with it.

But then after more reading and finding CPF, I discovered the 4Sevens brand and bought the Quark AAx2 Tactical and it's fantastic. The brightness levels are great and in Med mode it produces about the same usable light as the Mag 3D for general area lighting. In Max mode it throws just as far as the Mag but with a much bigger spot and floods the area with light. It's a lot more usable for lighting and I'll be getting rid of the Mag lights since they're of no real use to me now. I can't see any reason to use the Mags except the 3D as a club. Even the long runtime of the Mag 3D is not a factor as my new Quark will run for hours on High or all day on Med. That's plenty of time for me.

The added bonus is being able to use rechargeables now. I was buying alkalines for the 3D which wasn't too bad as a set would last me a few months. Now I don't have to be miserly with the light, I can recharge my AA's and have at it.
:thumbsup:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, thanks for the information. :)

I'm probably not going to get more expensive lights as the Maglites fit my needs pretty well for the price (around $10 each), although strobe mode would be handy to have. I'm using 6xAA in my 3D which makes it more practical but less efficient as a club. :mecry: One would probably think the 10-year warranty that 4sevens offers is sufficient, but I realized that I have two Mags that are past the 10-year mark, so the lifetime warranty still has a bit an edge. :thumbsup:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
You know what the 1 thing Mag lites have over quark lights (as well as O lights, Dereelight, Thrunights ect)?

You can buy them at any store! Why don't they sell cool lights in stores!

pilote

Newly Enlightened
maglites just have that nice heft to it; they have always felt wonderful in hand...and the 3D cell has always given me that secure, skull-crushing confidence...

my next flashlight purchase will be one of the new d-cell LED maglites, primarily because i want one in a color other than black....

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
Great post, thanks for the information. :)
I'm probably not going to get more expensive lights as the Maglites fit my needs pretty well for the price (around $10 each)
That's the problem with the greedy Canadian markets, the MiniMag is $25 and the 3D is $40 at regular price...we pay a lot more for the same items up here, even if our dollar is strong. It's sad really...which is why spending $75 for a good light like the Quark doesn't feel so bad.
although strobe mode would be handy to have. I'm using 6xAA in my 3D which makes it more practical but less efficient as a club. :mecry: One would probably think the 10-year warranty that 4sevens offers is sufficient, but I realized that I have two Mags that are past the 10-year mark, so the lifetime warranty still has a bit an edge. :thumbsup:
Yeah, lifetime warranty would be nice, but I'm not worried as I don't abuse my stuff so I figure this Quark will last the rest of my life, which hopefully is more than 10 years!
:D

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
For incans, I wouldn't worry much about the warranty. Buying a new bulb is no big deal, but LEDs are more complex and circuit boards aren't swappable. :shakehead

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
For incans, I wouldn't worry much about the warranty. Buying a new bulb is no big deal, but LEDs are more complex and circuit boards aren't swappable. :shakehead
Sure but LEDs are electronic devices and they either work or they don't when new. So basically once you're past the first few hours of use (burn in period), if it's still working then it probably will run for it's intended life just fine. And there's no denying battery life with LEDs. I'll never go back to incandescent, that's for sure.
:thumbsup:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
maglites just have that nice heft to it; they have always felt wonderful in hand...and the 3D cell has always given me that secure, skull-crushing confidence...
my next flashlight purchase will be one of the new d-cell LED maglites, primarily because i want one in a color other than black....
The only reason I bought a 3D Mag in the first place was for the runtime. I never really cared for the big heavy design. And now I have the same thing in a small AAx2 light, and I have no need to crush skulls.
:D

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Comparing my weird franken 4D maglite my mpro solarforce kills it! ^^ it throws alot better than the solarforce 1 mode drop in i have though but it is a bit dimmer..

damn_hammer

Enlightened

I called up Mag, and they sent out a new reflector, lens, and switch cover (rubber boot). The rubber boot was cracked, the chrome plating was pealing off the reflector, and the lens had all kinds of aberrations. The 5D light was ~ 18 years old at the time. A good warranty is nice to have if you need it.

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Got a reply from Mag. They sent me ANSI specs for their lights. I've posted them here:

http://www.smartdeviceresource.com/device-reviews/maglite-led-flashlight-review-and-guide/#specs

Those numbers just dont seem right.

Look at the 2D LED vs the 3D LED maglites (both of which produce about the same number of lumens)

the runtime for the 2D is 9 hours and 15 mins.
the runtime for the 3D is 72 hours ?!?!

one D-size battery will give you 63 hours more runtime? What am I missing here?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those numbers just dont seem right.

Look at the 2D LED vs the 3D LED maglites (both of which produce about the same number of lumens)

the runtime for the 2D is 9 hours and 15 mins.
the runtime for the 3D is 72 hours ?!?!

one D-size battery will give you 63 hours more runtime? What am I missing here?

A boost circuit pulls more juice, although the difference does seem excessive.

hoongern

Enlightened
I read in another thread (can't remember where it was...) that ANSI runtimes are for 10% of the original brightness - which could account for the huge difference?