Brand new Nitecore EZ CR2 breaks after 8 inch drop!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my EZ CR2 that I've had for all of about 3 days from about 8 inches off the ground on cement (it was in my lap and I was sitting on the ground) and now there is no low mode. It goes straight into high every time. I thought Nitecore lights were of better quality! I mean an 8 inch drop shouldn't hurt ANY light. There are no noticeable cosmetic flaws. I am very disappointed and don't know what to do! Do I return it to where I purchased it from or do I contact Nitecore...? I mean, I did drop it, but from such a distance, should I really be liable???

Shao

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Nitecore lights were of better quality!
Well, that's your mistake! I made it, too...
My advice is to try to get your money back from the dealer. That's what I should have done with my POS Nitecore, rather than screwing with it trying to get it to work right, or "testing" it, like a moron.
If it's anything like the EZ123w I had, then it's a pathetic joke of a light in several respects. Seriously, it looked good on the surface, but is probably THE worst executed flashlight design I've ever seen.
After fooling with it a couple of times, I gutted it for the Q4-5B emitter, and the rest of the light went in the trash where it belonged.

You can try pulling out on the center of the spring contact. The "spring" isn't much of a spring, and can get sandwiched together from the light being screwed into the constant on high mode, or apparently from the impact of those horrendous 8" drops.
You may have to pry on it with something like a jeweler's screwdriver to separate the loops in the spring. At least that's one of several issues my EZ had out of the box, along with having a foam ring that kept it from working with ANY battery, and a head that instantly filled with water when dunked.
Pure garbage with a $50 price tag:barf:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've dropped mine from my keyring to the floor several times without damage. Must depend on how it hits. I like my EZCR2. I like the interface much better than the Quark mini. One twist for high instead of 3.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'd check the little spring first, it could be that the force on it caused the coils to catch on each other and not re-extend.

The design is quite simple, so I can't think of any other way to lose the low mode than something funny like that being amiss with the contact spring.

I've had no issues with my EZCR2 and while I don't use it that much, I carry it more than anything else.

frank777

Enlightened
My NiteCore EZ AA stopped working properly, and I never even dropped it. I only had it for couple months, and now it goes directly to high, skipping low mode altogether. :tired:

It's my last NiteCore product.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice all. I pulled the spring on the head up just a micrometer or so and I now have low mode. I think I need to trim the foam on the head also. Gotta be careful not to drop this thing!!!

Shao

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ehhh, no money for the real deal right now. I have too many lights as is. There was a day I would have though...