KL-1-How bright? Happy with yours?

richpalm

Banned
Hi all,

I picked up an E1 on Ebay for a pretty good price. Thinking about adding a KL-1.

I could use some feedback-how bright, beam pattern, etc. before I try one.

My only frame of reference would be my X5t and 24/7. How does it compare to those?

Thanks,

Rich

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is definately brighter than X5T, about 2.5 to 4 times as bright as the X5. The KL1 is nice, but unless you can stand the purple color tint, get away from it. It definately uses #5 in color tint.

leddite

Enlightened
mine KL1 is a touch purple, but no more purple than the worst luxeon i have in the collection. i've seen worse.

properly driven (6V+) it seems even less purple and gets a touch more so as the batteries drop.

to compare to the the L1: the L1 smooth and even white, just like the the very best luxeons i have [1]. the X5t is a *touch* purple and fits between the L1 and the KL1 nicely.

the lottery is. if your surefire product is too purple or green, return it under warranty.

[1] with the exception of Mr Bulk's space needle II - damn you! that's FREAKING white :> *pain* :>

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight purple tinge in the corona. Not too bad and the centre is very nice and white. Much brighter than the X5. Don't even bother to compare to the 24/7.

epro05

Newly Enlightened
Here are some comparisons. The same exposure settings were used for all shots. The KL1 is considerably brighter than the X5T but a bit blue/purple compared to the Reactor 3.

Phil

{0B060B69-24B9-4943-922B-8BB921383449}lg.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I would agree with what has already been said about the KL1 being brighter than the Inova X5. Even though my KL1's beam has a slight purple tint, I've grown used to it.

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Recently, I bought another KL1 and 2 L1. They are quite white. Slight blue/purple. I won't notice it unless on a white surface. But my first KL1 is very purplish and has a funny purple spot.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait until Arc finishes doing the tests for the lumen outputs on their lights and several Surefire lights. When that is finished, we will be able to see how the Arc LS's compare to the KL1 for total output.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current KL1 has a bit of a purplish tinge, but for the most part you can barely notice. Compares well to Madmax Q3 on 3v and is a bit brighter when hooked up to 6v.

Nice compliment to L4 when you don't need an overwhelming light....but how often is that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

-Jason

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
richpalm
You might consider adding a clickie switch to E1e/KL1.
I did & I really like it! The E1e/KL1 with the clickie
makes a very nice EDC IMHO. Either way (with clickie or
wiyh LOTC) the E1e/KL1 seem like a durable light with a
lot of class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like mine. I orginally had my KL1 on an old E2, I went out and bought a E1e just for the KL1. That combo is now my off-duty EDC light.

GregR

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
How would a KL1/E1e with clickie compare with an ARC-LSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using my Surefire KL1 on a McLux 1x123 powerpack and it works great. I can't do anything about the slight purple-ish tint of the KL1, but it's bright enough for an EDC. It's certainly brighter than the Inova X5T, however, my Arc LSH-S is brighter than the KL1. The cool thing about using the McLux powerpack is that it has a clickie switch like the Arc LS, but it's recessed so you can avoid accidentally activating the light and you can stand it on it's tail end. The KL1/McLux combo looks pretty cool too.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You notice people have been comparing this light to the X5. The X5 has 5mms whereas the KL1 has a 1 watt.

IMO, the KL1 gives a decent amount of light, but it doesn't compare with some of the other LS lights. If you are looking for runtime it's great. If you are looking for something bright, you might want to go with something else. Just my two cents.

alberto

Enlightened
I love my E1e/KL1.

At 16 lumens on the E1e versus 17 lumens on the E2e, I didn't see the point of using the E2e base. In fact, the E1e/KL1 is now my in-home EDC (my out-of-home EDC is the L4), and my E2e has been converted with a Nascar P61 mod.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
As with the Arc-LS, McLux and the upcoming FireFly variant, the E1/KL1 is in an exclusive class when it comes to performance to size ratio. Nowadays, I prefer to use my KL1 (when I use it, as other lights are now pushing it down the meat ladder, for me anyways) with a UBH and a couple of AAs, but if I need a smaller package, I can just whip out the E1 body...

For the most part, I really can't complain about the KL1. Aside from being on the violet side, it's a great little light in a E1 packaging...

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
richpalm
You might consider adding a clickie switch to E1e/KL1.
I did & I really like it! The E1e/KL1 with the clickie
makes a very nice EDC IMHO. Either way (with clickie or
wiyh LOTC) the E1e/KL1 seem like a durable light with a
lot of class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about that. I know what would happen though... ooooo.. I love this clickie! Now I gotta put 'em on ALL the Surefires! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif $$$$$!

I got a KL1-Brightguy had them for $39.00 so I couldn't pass it up. It's about as bright as my ARC-LSH but does not have as nice a beam pattern and is *slightly* purplish. I didn't even notice that though until I put it alongside the ARC. Beam pattern on ARC nice and even with better corona.

It looks sharp on the E1e-can't beat it for looks. I don't mind the purplish tint.

BTW, my X5t doesn't hold a candle to either.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich