Does a UI like this exist?

egale1

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a 2xCR123 light with modes similar to the Quark 123 regular but have a momentary on switch that can be set to default to any of the modes. I know you can do that with the Quark tactical but you are left with only two readily available modes. I would rather go through a more involved process to set the default tactical mode. If you took the regular 123 and kept that ui but added a momentary switch to it, I think that would be exactly what I want.

The closest thing I have found is the Dereelight CL1H V4 3SM but it looks like half pressing the button while the light is off starts the light cycling between modes so using it as a tactical is useless.

Any suggestions?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
If you took the regular 123 and kept that ui but added a momentary switch to it, I think that would be exactly what I want.

so buy exactly that. you can get that setup if you want.

you know you can program the tac model with ANY of the modes, right?

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
just buy Fenix TA21. they using ring to change the module and have momentary switch. they have 12 module including strobe, flash, and SOS.
if it is too many, u can get TA20 or TA30.

egale1

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at the 4sevens web site. I think putting a tactical tail on a regular 123 would give me the momentary on/off but I think it would not allow me to set a specific mode. Instead, I think it would start at moonlight mode.

So, is there a light with memory, multi modes, that has momentary on as well?

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened

Fenix TA21, it use ring to change the module and have momentary switch. therefor u can set the output u like, then using the momentary switch as u like without changing the module.

i think nightcore also have ring series, SR3 i thing. but i'm not sure about momentary switch.

egale1

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TA20/21 looks good! It is kinda big but definitely along the lines of what I am looking for.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are going to have the same problem with any multilevel light that the switch controls the output levels. You would need a light that the switch only controls the on/off part with something else controlling the level of output.

The only lights I can think of that are controlled like this are the JETBeam RRT series lights. The RRT-1 and RRT-2 both will take 123's. The on/off is controlled by a forward momentary clicky switch, while the output is controlled by a selector ring. I have both these lights and highly recommend them.

I have seen a couple of lights that have a tactical switch to control on/off, with a second switch on the side to control the level of output. I can't recall who makes them though.

but it looks like half pressing the button while the light is off starts the light cycling between modes so using it as a tactical is useless.

Any suggestions?

Rod911

Enlightened
I have seen a couple of lights that have a tactical switch to control on/off, with a second switch on the side to control the level of output. I can't recall who makes them though.

What about the iTP S Series of lights? On/off at the tail, with a switch on the body that allows mode switching.

How could I forget the selector ring lights? As noted by previous posters, they are an option as well. EagleTac's M series of lights also allows you to select your preferred mode through a ring.

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
The only lights I can think of that are controlled like this are the JETBeam RRT series lights. The RRT-1 and RRT-2 both will take 123's. The on/off is controlled by a forward momentary clicky switch, while the output is controlled by a selector ring. I have both these lights and highly recommend them.

+1, it's more expensive then fenix but i would like to have one.

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a 2xCR123 light with modes similar to the Quark 123 regular but have a momentary on switch that can be set to default to any of the modes. I know you can do that with the Quark tactical but you are left with only two readily available modes. I would rather go through a more involved process to set the default tactical mode. If you took the regular 123 and kept that ui but added a momentary switch to it, I think that would be exactly what I want.
I think someone suggested getting the regular Quark 123x2 and buy the tactical end cap for it which has a momentary switch, but I'm not sure if that will give you cycling through modes with momentary on since the regular model reverts back to the first mode when it's been turned off for a few seconds. It also uses brief presses to cycle the modes when on, so I don't know how it would work with the tactical switch.

Personally, I don't need that many modes to cycle through looking for a light level, and I need a momentary switch, so I ordered the tactical AAx2. I have lots of AA rechargeables here with an individual intelligent charger. I have several of the newer NiMH cells that don't self-discharge (Eneloops/Duracells) that I use in things like remotes, and plenty of the older style that are perfect for regular use in a flashlight (2600mAH). AA's are cheap to buy replacements too, so I went with the AAx2 model.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive since I just ordered it this morning, but it should be exactly what I want. A fairly small/narrow light with high output and options for lower outputs to get longer run times. Perfect for my needs.
:wave:

duboost

Enlightened
I'm a little confused as to what exactly it is that you want. So you want to be able to program a default brightness, but also have access to all the other modes as well?

If you get the regular quark with a tactical tail cap, this will give you a momentary forward switch, plus be able to cycle through all the available modes. If you turn the light on when the head is tightened, it will always come on at the max brightness. Half press and it'll switch to strobe, half press again and it goes back to turbo. When the head is loose and you turn the light on it starts off in moon mode, then you half press to cycle through all the rest of the modes.

Any of the lights with selector rings that were mentioned would be a good choice as well

And ITP was mentioned as well, that might be what you're looking for. Either the S series or C series i believe has the ability to ramp up or down in brightness to set a brightness u want. The light will memorize that brightness, and retain the low, med, high preset modes as well

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at the 4sevens web site. I think putting a tactical tail on a regular 123 would give me the momentary on/off but I think it would not allow me to set a specific mode. Instead, I think it would start at moonlight mode.
That's the impression I got from their website too.
I went with the Quark Tactical AAx2 and it's great! I ordered if yesterday morning, and it was delivered today (fast service), and it works exactly as I hoped.

I have programmed it with Max level when the bezel is loose and Med level when tight. That gives me a very bright light when needed and a long lasting lower level that should run for over 28 hours with 2600mAH cells during power outages, outdoors, etc.

Finally a good small light that makes my MagLed 3D obsolete. I liked the runtime of the Mag but didn't need the brightness all the time and hated the beam/focus. Now I have a light that does what I want and it fits in my coat pocket, or holster, or around my neck on the lanyard. Woohoo!
:twothumbs
Anyone wanna buy a couple of Mags?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q: light w/ memory, multi modes, momentary on

A: Olight T20. Here's the military variation (T20-M): http://www.batteryjunction.com/military-t20-m.html There are other variations of the T20 without the strobe, with more levels, etc.

The light has a forward clicky switch with momentary. To set the mode, you twist the head. Once set, the light remembers that level, and will always come on in that level ... unless you twist the head again to shift to a different level. This is, so far, my favorite "utility/defense" multimode flashlight UI. I like it better than the Quark tactical UI since the Quark makes it so cumbersome to switch modes.

*bows to copious audience applause*

Last edited: