Best light for a walking "seasoned" citizen

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
Best light for a walking \"seasoned\" citizen

I would like to get my mother, who likes to take long walks at night, a flashlight. She has been using a 3-D Mag (I know, I'm ashamed) but it is getting too heavy for her. I would like to get her something, but don't know what. I am thinking about either a 3-C or a 3-AA form factor, luxeon. Does anyone make a 3-C luxeon? I know that the E.L. Blaster started out as a 3-C but Wayne upgraded to "D's" because they have twice the run time and cost about the same.

Any suggestions?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Best light for a walking

Talk to Wayne. With a little tweaking and some PVC pipe a blaster may be able to accept 'C's

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne is making a 3AA lux, original, based on his design. You might want to take a look at that. But, you can try to ask Mr B to make a LGI for you, or you can upgrade a minimag to a lux by MM or BB.

Dave Wright

Enlightened

I walk with a Madmax modified Brinkmann. It's a great light, a good balance of weight and power, and economical when run on NiMH. A slightly better choice would be the Badboy 400. It runs longer per battery set and runs cool enough to be operated constantly. I recommend a Brinkmann Legend 2xAA as the host. She might want to bring a spare pair of batteries, depending on the length of her walks.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

My two cents. How about a Surefire A2?

Your mother would have a nice lower level of light for normal walking, and the higher beam would be instantly available when and if needed.

All in a nice lightweight package that`s easy to carry.

Best wishes!

d'mo

Enlightened

An L4 fits the ticket here. It's light weight and the smooth flood is ideal for path illumination. Just MHO.

RY3

Enlightened
Re: Best light for a walking \"seasoned\" citizen

My 2 pennies.

Since she use it to walk at night, I would ask her if she is comfortable to carry a smaller flashlight even it is brighter. She may feel "safer" to carry a 3D maglite or similar than a SF.

How about a rechargeable such as Ultrastringer. I wish someone can make a drop-in 5W LED mod for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

How about the 6AA SNII that Mr. Bulk is currently taking order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shadows

Newly Enlightened

hey guys, u got to remain objective here. an ultrastinger's not gonna be light ( well bright yes but not light ),...
the l4 on the other hand is bright but also gets pretty hot, seriously i think it is too bright. bump in the dark ~ maybe, but long walk in the park ~ something like an inova x5 ( + a box of 12 SF 123s will last LONG ) or a sl4aa7led would be more than sufficeint... but if she wants some throw or rather a spot ala the mag then an A2 would be just nice imo, just costs more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
for "protection" juz shine the a2 into the persons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
or wat about the SL batonlight?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let's think about this, this is a woman we're talking about here. I don't think the Surefires are the ticket. Im sure after her first set of batteries die(which will probably be pretty soon) she gonna go to the store and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif at the price. Not only that but one of the other guys had a point when they said she might feel safer with a slightly larger light(whacking stick). so what's my suggestion?

Elektrolumens 1-R about 2D size, cheap D size batteries, probably on par with the 3d mag, 24 hours at near full brightness, etc........

While it would be smaller and lighter than the 3d mag, it could still be used to pop somebody upside the head if need be.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

He mentioned a 3AA Luxeon. Of course, Streamlight makes it; a very fine, inexpensive light with great throw, and long run time.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
Let's think about this, this is a woman we're talking about here. I don't think the Surefires are the ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY SASHA...YOU AROUND? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Whats your take on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Well no doubt going with one of out modder lights would be cool. But...being that she`s a woman and not likely to care that much...I would recommend she get a 3 AA LS. Like the Streamlight. Cheap batts and long run time. And It would still hurt if you got hit over the head with it.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think that she would like the high operating temp of the L4/KL4. I think the PT Rage is an good choice, or get her a tigerlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, this is rather expensive, but when you consider what you are getting, it is a real good deal, esp if she uses the light every night.

The Streamlight Stinger HP
strhpcharger.jpg

IT's bright (40,000 CP) rechargable, so it is always at full battery strength when taken out of the cradle, it is small (8.25 inches), lightweight, and VERY RELIABLE.

I know that it isn't an LED, and the bulb may possibly break (all incandecent bulbs do), but I have a friend (female) who is retired and uses this light 3-6 hours a week.

Only down size to this light, is that it has about an hour run time.

Maybe a alternative would be to get an LED for ALWAYS ON, and the Stinger HP for when she needs it.

A nice walking light is the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KenB said:

HEY SASHA...YOU AROUND? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Whats your take on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Well no doubt going with one of out modder lights would be cool. But...being that she`s a woman and not likely to care that much...I would recommend she get a 3 AA LS. Like the Streamlight. Cheap batts and long run time. And It would still hurt if you got hit over the head with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, Sasha is unique, im sure, MOST women are not into flashlights much less spending $6 a pop on a 123 battery at the local store(Wal-Mart). please don't try to turn what i said into a something "sexist".

now in regards to the Blaster 1-R being a custom light, that's not why i suggested it. Maybe she won't appreciate it's uniqueness of being a custom made light, but like I said that's not why i suggested it. I suggested it because of it's features and usefulness. On top of it being about 1/2 the price of the mentioned Surefires, it will pay for itself in no-time. and how much more durable and long-lasting could you ask for?

all she would ever have to do is OCCASIONALLY change the batteries. perfect for a "seasoned" citizen

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Take a look at the Streamlight TT-3C. It's got three light levels and, as my daughter said, "You could hurt someone with that thing!" Cost about $30.00.

Waynne has a 2xDD LS converted light available. Very bright and has a run time to 50% brightness of right at 24 hours!

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened

How bout a 3C Mag with an EverLed .
Familiar form factor but lighter weight and longer running. Not to mention pick of your favorite colored body and Led.

The various streamlights that have been suggested would probably work well also, Streamlight Tasklights Streamlights 4AA and 3C led lights.

There is also the 3AA CMG Reactor but I don't think it's as nice as the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon due to the all plastic non-removable bezel section.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

Just a little clarification...I was thinking about staying away from Lithiums123a's due to the cost and relatively short run times. Some of you CPF'ers are really into hitting people on the head. I don't think 65+ women are going to be able to do this anyway, so its not an issue for me.

The 3xAA's have some appeal, but how are they on run-time; are 1 watt Luxeon bright enough?. It seems to me that the "ideal" light (which all CPF'ers strive for) would be a 3xC light with a resistered 5 watt Luxeon. Why doen't anyone make this? It seems like it would be a winner...?

Chris T

Newly Enlightened

My $.02 for the pot is this:

As people get up in years ther fingers aren't as nimble. Because of this I would stay away from smallish lights like the ARC AAA and Infinity Ultra. Something in a traditional shape with a soft push button is probably the key here. Case in point, I got my parents a pair of photon II's for theri trip to europe last year. What did they use? A 2AA Panasonic incandescent! My mistake in buying the Photons was not considering the end user.

Chris

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flashlightDR said:
Just a little clarification...I was thinking about staying away from Lithiums123a's due to the cost and relatively short run times. Some of you CPF'ers are really into hitting people on the head. I don't think 65+ women are going to be able to do this anyway, so its not an issue for me.

The 3xAA's have some appeal, but how are they on run-time; are 1 watt Luxeon bright enough?. It seems to me that the "ideal" light (which all CPF'ers strive for) would be a 3xC light with a resistered 5 watt Luxeon. Why doen't anyone make this? It seems like it would be a winner...?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1 watt AA lights are pretty bright...and yes...they seem to run for quite a while. The TT 3 "c" light mentioned is a good choice too. As far as a 5 watter is concered...oohyea...thats what you need! I think it requires more than 4.5 volts...but you could put a step-up in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just not sure if your mother would be able to get it out of your hands LOL.

As far as hitting people on the head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Yea! I really like this graemlin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would recommend any rechargeable Streamlight. Cheap to run and very bright. It last about an hour, but she doesn't have it on constantly does she?