Ansmann Agent 3 (3 watt LED) photo-review.

daf3m

Enlightened
Hello everyboby.This is my first post!I haven't found a self presentation topic,but if there is one please appoint me.

I have just bought an Ansmann Agent 3 flashlight ,so i thought i could give you an informative review about it.

As you can see here is the info provided by the manufacturer:

High quality torch with military grade anodizing finish for professional use

- Newest 3W Digital White LED technology with providing 120 lumen of light
- Tactical On/Off switch at the back side
- Operating time is approx. 5h
- Beam is about 400-500m
- Surface of the metal torch is gripped and excellent for operating with one hand or gloves
- Delivery is with 2 x CR123A Lithium batteries

Also by it's flyer i was informed that the switch is no-click operating ,the LED source is a Cree 3 watt(120 lumens/8000 LUX) and weights 210 grms wtih batteries.

Poor info i'd say .So i used their email form and asked for further indormation regarding the exact type of the LED ,the type of the switch(tactical or not) ,the the type of the len(plastic ,glass).
I was appointed to the Agent 3 data sheet ,but somehow it was not attouched in my email so i googled it.Unfotrunately no special info,except that the product is "water-safe" - IPx 44 standard and that the product is being manufactured in China despite the German R&D etc.

Here you can see a photo of the package:
imgp1953.jpg

and opened :
imgp1957.jpg

Here is the 3watt Cree LED :
imgp1962.jpg

and it's reflector:
imgp1963r.jpg

It is made of hard plastic and it is quite thick .I 'd say ~5mm minimum at the front "disc" and another 5 mm the internal lobe as far as i can tell.It is somehow magnifying the light of the source and also diffuse it.

more photos:
imgp1975.jpg

and
imgp1974.jpg

Here you can see the main body(front):
20101023191350.jpg

imgp1964.jpg

(and back)
20101023191246.jpg

As you can see double o-rings are used - quite good concept in my opinion..
Of course they need to be lubricated with some petroleum jelly because they are totally dry at this moment.

Here you can see the no-click switch which is very silent i could say ,but it can not function momentary like all the other tactical switches.
imgp1967p.jpg

imgp1966.jpg

And the switch taken apart:
imgp1976.jpg

imgp1977.jpg

imgp1978.jpg

Another feature is that is capable of standing up securely on a flat surface and serve as a candle:
imgp1969.jpg

Here you can see a few comparative beemshots on a wall apparently 4.5-5 meters away.

On the left is the Agent 3 and on the right the Fenix Tk11 R2 with RCR123A batteries.
imgp1971.jpg

On this photograph you can see on the left(upper) the Agent 3 and on the right the Fenix PD20 on turbo mode(apparenlty 180 lumens) both with fresh CR123 batteries.
imgp1972n.jpg

About it's quality and feeling i could say that the main body is quite rough(twice as my Tk11) but feels well balanced.Plus the head could smash a window if needed(unlike Tk11).
Running time probably is quite below 5 hours-I havent checked for the moment.
Also the laneyard quality and feeling is very poor - "cheepo chinese" if you get what i mean.

That's all for the moment.I hope that someone will find it usefull.

p.s Ah !The reason i bought this flashlight was in order to have a donor boby for a mighty mod(maybe an xr-e cree).Of course now i am not so sure if it is good idea,due to the plastic len.

Last edited:

daf3m

Enlightened
Also the Fenix TK series diffuser fits perfectly on the head:caution:

Also the current is ~0.7 Amps and the voltage on the cree pins is ~3 Volts ,so we are talking about 2.1 watts.

Last edited:

daf3m

Enlightened
:wave:Almost after 6 months ,~700 eyes and not a single comment ?:wave:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave:Almost after 6 months ,~700 eyes and not a single comment ?:wave:

Not a light we see often here in the Uk,we have a company who are stockists of there batteries and chargers and they carry the odd light on clearance sale.If I remember correctly they are a German based company and from what I gather there batteries are quite good but never heard anything about there range of lights.

Thanks for the review though and often buy odd make lights that are not the norm for other members to use.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I was told you'd be better off using a silicon based lubricant over a petroleum based one, as the petrol based lubes eat away at rubber.

daf3m

Enlightened
I use vaseline in all my flashlights for months.No problem at all since today .Also smells silicone based lubricant i have when it gets hot smells bad!

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
As long as you don't use it for lubricating other things made of rubber and still expect them to do their job....