30 Years of Innovation for Surefire

SKYTRAIL

Newly Enlightened
The past 30 years may have been very successful for Surefire, yet after seeing countless pictures from every angle of SHOT, I have yet to see one that shows the "30 Years of Innovation" section that Surefire had on display. Is there a member who did take a photo or two of Surefires history and with all the new tech on display, simply forgot to display it ? :shrug:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did take a look at the wall in detail (more in the middle 90s to early 2000's) but no photos as talking to a real live person from their product dev team was way more fun & exciting, not to mention the new lights to drool over and the weapons with all the goodies mounted on them.

Illum

Flashaholic
[Rant] Surefire lights were great...then someone harshed PK's mellow and we have lights like the ICON and the MODUS that broke the rules of "modern militant" designs...as well as new lights that never debuted despite promises dating a couple years now.... [/Rant]

hmmm, the statement might be there for show, no poster will be big enough to show everything surefire has done in the last 3 decades:ohgeez:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SF invented the 123 cell, what I always wanted to know was, when did they? sometime in the 80's?
it was innovative.

SKYTRAIL

Newly Enlightened
Illum said "Surefire lights were great...then someone harshed PK's mellow and we have lights like the ICON and the MODUS that broke the rules of "modern militant" designs...as well as new lights that never debuted despite promises dating a couple years now...."

Wow, Yes Surefire lights are superb :twothumbs, No one harshed PK's Mellow (I think he's actually just warming up ... LOL :crackup:). ICON is great, I have the ROGUE 1 (My Wife Loves it - She uses it every Night) and have yet to see the MODUS in real life. I think anyone who actually saw The Surefire Illumination Tools catalog over the last few years and wanted a product (like Invictus) that didn't end up being made, Yes we were all dissapointed but that didn't stop me from using other lights to see in the dark, nor wanting or waiting for another Unobtainium model, I just sit back and figure "Something new is coming our way soon", even if it does take some more time.
As for "modern militant" designs I think that the "STRATUM" will fit the bill nicely, again even though we await it's release.
Cheers. :grin2:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SF invented the 123 cell, what I always wanted to know was, when did they? sometime in the 80's?
it was innovative.

No. SF never invented a battery. SF was the first light manufacturer to use that cell in a light; in the 6C.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. SF never invented a battery. SF was the first light manufacturer to use that cell in a light; in the 6C.

Actually, IIRC, SureFire worked with Duracell on the development/improvement of the CR123.

-Robert

Illum

Flashaholic
Actually, IIRC, SureFire worked with Duracell on the development/improvement of the CR123.

-Robert

and yet the internal design of duracell and surefire looked completely different upon dissection:ohgeez:
with all the R&D, you'd think standardization would have been the preferred method following production:thinking:

Size15's

Flashaholic
and yet the internal design of duracell and surefire looked completely different upon dissection:ohgeez:
with all the R&D, you'd think standardization would have been the preferred method following production:thinking:
The use of DL123A batteries in high-drain multi-cell SureFires demonstrated the requirement for a suite of safety and performance features in the CR123A battery.
SureFire SF123A OEM isn't Duracell. The SF123A came years later once there was the ability to choose between products that are safe, high-performing and made in the USA.

Al

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i may move OT just a bit: so who invented the CR123A?

after some fruitless searching, i was only able to determine that without Alessandro Volta we'd still be using candles.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's because SureFire SF123A cells are made by Panasonic of America, not Duracell.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it was SANYO ELECTRIC CO. (from Japan) who invented CR123 cells. I can´t remember where I read that, but I´m almost sure about it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is CR123s have been used in cameras before flashlights
Anyways, what have they innovated? Lets start a list

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is CR123s have been used in cameras before flashlights
Anyways, what have they innovated? Lets start a list

First Flashlight to use CR123A Lithium cells -->> SureFire 6P

First incandescent flashlight to use constant current/voltage regulation -->> SureFire A2 Aviator.

First high-pressure Xenon/LED hybrid flashlight -->> SureFire A2 Aviator

First commercially-available Infrared flashlight -->> SureFire M1 Infrared Illuminator

First production rechargeable incandescent 2-dual output flashlight to break the 500 lumens barrier -->> SureFire 10X Dominator

There is an old thread about this here -> https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2959953#post2959953

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The past 30 years may have been very successful for Surefire, yet after seeing countless pictures from every angle of SHOT, I have yet to see one that shows the "30 Years of Innovation" section that Surefire had on display. Is there a member who did take a photo or two of Surefires history and with all the new tech on display, simply forgot to display it ? :shrug:

Here's a quick vid on the "30 years of Innovation" display from Shot 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKEwb6U0Hg