Which lights have a candle mode?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious to know what lights out there have a candle mode, like a maglite or a fenix E20.

I just saw in another thread that the rc-g2 can do it too. What others are there? Is this for all of them or do some vendors sell the head glued?

I think someone once told me the head could come off of my rc-n3, but I couldn't get mine to do that.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 which i gave away could do that, my current RC N3 warm white single mode can also do that, i.e. unscrew the head for candle mode/full flood.

where did you get your Romisen from? Both of mine were from Shiningbeam.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
P20C2 from EagleTac.
Got mine from another member keep diffuser on it, remove for full throw, then remove unscrew the lens and reflector head off for bare LED full flood mode.
Pretty verstail light, except sometimes had a problem with the switch.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my guess is that they either get them unglued or remove the glue themselves in order to upgrade the rc-n3's at shiningbeam. I believe the other person who mentioned it also got theirs from Bryan.

I bought mine way back when before I even knew about shiningbeam, although I guess its always an excuse to buy another one :devil:

Although, I don't know if I'd want another one. It is a great light for what it is, but for me personally I find the hotspot a little too focused and the beam pattern a bit too ringy. It is of course otherwise a fantastic light for the price.

duboost

Enlightened
my MG PLI and Tiablo A9 can do that also, but my RC N3 single mode which i got from shiningbeam a while ago can't :thinking:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
my theory is that they only unglue the heads of the rc-n3's that they modify, so they wouldn't bother ungluing the head of a normal single mode rc-n3.

I think I read somewhere that the newer pli's now have glued on heads. Plus I think they are sold out. I still want one at some point though, I hear nothing but good things about it.

cistallus

Enlightened
The LiteFlux LF2X (1-AAA/10440) has candle mode - you can unscrew the reflector from the head and have the bare LED.

However, I prefer the diffuser that comes with the light, that way you don't have to try to avoid looking directly at the LED and getting spots in your eyes.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available new any more (LF2XT is not the same) - it was only a year ago I bought it.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
Yup and even looks like a candle when standing on the bezel.
I wonder if all of their AA models can do that? The Amazon.com description here mentions this feature but I don't know which ones it applies to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HFBR1O/?tag=cpf0b6-20 . I am intrigued by this feature. Has anyone tried it to see how useful it is in practice? What is the light output like? Does it have significant glare? Is it directional or can this mode be used as a substitute for a lantern for instance?

edpmis02

Enlightened
I wonder if all of their AA models can do that? The Amazon.com description here mentions this feature but I don't know which ones it applies to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HFBR1O/?tag=cpf0b6-20 . I am intrigued by this feature. Has anyone tried it to see how useful it is in practice? What is the light output like? Does it have significant glare? Is it directional or can this mode be used as a substitute for a lantern for instance?

Works pretty good.. The bulb is fully exposed and provides full coverage. It is a little harsh on direct viewing. Lanterns tend to have a little less glare and direct only out of the sides.