PT EOS IMPORTANT UPDATE PLS READ

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I was just on PT's website today (27 January 2010) and I saw that the EOS is now rated 70 lumens instead of the 50 lumens I saw on their website yesterday!! However, the beam info and the batt. life are exactly the same, so I suspect that PT has re-checked the brightness of the EOS. However, the EOS II and the EOS Bike remain at 50 lumens. I plan to send them an email asking if it is a different LED used or just more accurate brightness info (if anyone else has done this/is planning to do this please post results here).

EOS :
http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/65

UPDATE ONE: The EOS Bike is now also 70 lumens, and the website states it uses a 'Maxbright Rebel' LED (Luxeon Rebel)
UPDATE TWO: EOS is using a more efficient Rebel LED

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like they may have switched from the Luxeon Rebel to a CREE XP-E, or XP-G. This is a noticeable improvement IMO. You will have to let us know what PT says about the 20 lumen increase. I'd like to know what they did, though I suspect that they just improved the LED.

I just had my 80 lumen Princeton Tec APEX replaced, and they sent me the 130 lumen version. Not only is the main LED much brighter than the original, the four 5mm LED's are now super bright on high. They have really stepped up the brightness of their LED's. I would love to see the APEX updated with an R5 XP-G. Hmm... maybe I'll do that myself. :devil:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Could be good or bad depending on the color temp of the Led. While I would like 70+ Lumens' I am much happier with the warmer tints that are becoming more available. Does anyone know offhand if the XP and or XPG's are warm to neutral in their tint?

The Corona has been updated to 90 Lumens as well and I am glad that I have stopped buying new lights for a while because the increases in efficency and tint are really coming on strong right now. Time will tell.

NYCaver

Newly Enlightened
Could be good or bad depending on the color temp of the Led. While I would like 70+ Lumens' I am much happier with the warmer tints that are becoming more available. Does anyone know offhand if the XP and or XPG's are warm to neutral in their tint?

The Corona has been updated to 90 Lumens as well and I am glad that I have stopped buying new lights for a while because the increases in efficency and tint are really coming on strong right now. Time will tell.

The XP-E can be had in several different tints from warm to cool, and the XP-G is only cool white.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
the PT REMIX has also been upped from 45 lumens to 70 lumens. Kind of a bummer since I just got one! Hopefully an APEX update will follow

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm curious as to how they are getting more lumens out of the Corona... I thought it was already using Nichia GS LEDs? Are there newer 5mm LEDs that are more efficient?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one am hoping the brightness doesn't have a detrimental impact on the runtime on low. That is my main priority in any light I buy anymore a low low and the longest run-time possible. Brightness isn't in my requirements at all.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they're trying to stay a step ahead of Petzl. The EOS had 50 lumens. The Petzl Tikka XP 2 came out with 60. Now the EOS has 70. I just hope the beam pattern and runtimes haven't changed. I like the beam pattern and if runtime is reduced to get the 70 lumens, I'd rather stay with the 50 lumen version. If they switched to Rebel 100s, Q5-R3 bin Cree XP-Es, or R4 or R5 bin Cree XP-Gs, without messing up the beam pattern, this would be a welcome upgrade. It would be even better if they switched to a stronger plastic to make the body of the light. I've now had 5 Quad headlights with cracks in them and they use the same plastic as the EOS. I wish Princeton Tec would switch to the plastic Petzl uses in their Tikka line of headlights but keep the waterproofing, platinum catalyst pellets (absorbs hydrogen from batteries), regulation, ability to use lithiums, and better beam pattern.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Yes but the beam statistics are all the same, so is it possible that they have just re-tested the brightness levels?

d1337

Enlightened
I hate to be a pessimist but it's possible they just decided to use a different method for calculating lumens. For example moving to emitter lumens instead of out the front. I really hope that it is a new emitter but I'm not getting my hopes up.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I really hate to be pessimistic but I actually hope they are just using a different method for calculating lumens as I just bought the 50 lumen one and I don't want to have the knowledge that mine is now an older model :). However the eos 2 seems to be still 50 lumens so maybe they are using different emitters

PTECCS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the interest in the Princeton tec EOS.
We have updated the EOS to a brighter more efficient LED as mentioned above. Thus Changing the Lumens from 50 to 70 and keeping the Run times the Same.

Thanks,

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have updated the EOS to a brighter more efficient LED as mentioned above. Thus Changing the Lumens from 50 to 70 and keeping the Run times the Same.

Thanks,

Holy Unexpected Manufacturer Intervention, Batman!

Thanks PTECCS for that info.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I for one am hoping the brightness doesn't have a detrimental impact on the runtime on low. That is my main priority in any light I buy anymore a low low and the longest run-time possible. Brightness isn't in my requirements at all.

:twothumbs +1

I don't want the low level any brighter, either. I rarely use the medium level on my EOS - so it'd be nice if they stretched out the difference between the 3 levels on the electronic side of things as well, instead of simply making each of them brighter due to a brighter LED.

:thumbsup: john

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums. Good to have manufacturer representation.

Thanks,

holm0299

Newly Enlightened

Thanks,

Thanks for the info. When do you expect these will begin arriving at retailers? Also, do you plan an upgrade for the APEX?!!

woodentsick

Enlightened

Thanks,

Oh thats great news! but my 50 lumens eos arrived yesterday, any chance of me sending it back for the newer one?:shrug:

thanks,

woodentsick