JetBeam RRT-0 generation differences...

SwarfWorks

Newly Enlightened
Well, we realized some interesting difference between the first run of these lights to the current one (in my thread about boring out the AA extender for a 17500 battery), there are some differences which I thought might be good to make a comprehensive list.

I've got and early one a a new one, so thought I'd share my comparisons.

Newest one looks to be brought in around the middle of January 2010 (bought mine Jan 22 right from JetBeam at the SHOT show).

1.) Probably easiest to tell by the tailcap. New has 2 threaded holes.

Old left, new right:
SwarfWorks-Flashlight-8371.jpg

2.) The new one "tailstands" solidly.

3.) Circuitry. The guy at the JetBeam booth said that they reprogrammed them so that primary 123 cells don't make the light think that they are lithiums or something like that. Also, lightjunction.com said that you can run unprotected cells in the old one, but maybe not in the new one. Someone else can probably expound more on that.

4.) ID of the head at the + terminal. The new one is larger and a 18650 will freely fit in it. Now why the change? May we ever know? :)

old:
SwarfWorks-Flashlight-8388.jpg

New:
SwarfWorks-Flashlight-8389.jpg

Oh yah..:
SwarfWorks-Flashlight-8387.jpg

5.) Boxes. Old left, new right. They both say RRT-0 R2, but the old one says SMO after it. Not sure if it's significant, but here ya go:
SwarfWorks-Flashlight-8379.jpg

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Anyone else?

Paul

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for laying out the difference. I have an old one as my EDC and have no problems with it though. It can tailstand but not very well. Here's some pics of my RRT-0.

It'll be interesting to know details about the updated circuit. The old one, is explained here, if anyone wants to know what is it all about.

Is it possible there'll be a 18650 extender and screw in compatible clip for the new one? :shrug:

hotlight

Enlightened
I wish this was posted like 5 days ago while I was trying to figure out the differences myself...... thanks this will help people researching the rrt-0.

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-0 is a great light but i can think of many improvements...

(1) Either better spaced out output levels or add IBS
(2) Increase efficiency by a lot!! (The RRT-0 is so inefficient compared to the Jet-I Pro)
(3) Increase threading on top portion of AA extender (It only takes 2 full turns to separate the AA extender from the head)
(4) Possibly a 2xAA extender to match a CR123a's performance