New Jetbeam M2S with SST-50 LED [+ Pics heavy]

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as everyone can see, the BOG is offering a new Jetbeam's flashlight that uses LED SST-50: the Jetbeam M2S!
What we know so far is the information taken from the site:

BOG link:
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/m2s.html

CPF MP Thread link:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=212508

Features:
  • Power Source: SST-50 LED
  • Max LED working current is 4A
  • Max Lumen: 1000 lumen (LED lumen)
    Out the front lumen is approximately 750 lumen
  • Runtimes: Using 2* 18650 rechargeable batteries, compatible with both 4 *CR123 or 4 *RCR123 rechargeable Li-ion batteries, under max output condition the M2S can run for approximately 40 minutes.
Functions:

• User can switch the modes quickly by tightening/loosening the light bezel.
  • Tightening the head for Max output (continuous use for 3 minutes and automatically switches to Mid mode)
  • Loosening the head for Mid mode - Low mode - 15HZ strobe
Pics:

Standard
M2SSmall.jpg

Pics by BOG from here.

M1X, M2S, RRT-3
Handshotsm.jpg

Head/Body Comparison
Heads.jpg

Head/Body Comparison 2
Heads2.jpg

Business End of M1X, M2S, RRT-3
M1XM2SRRT3.jpg

Biz End of M1X, M2S, RRT-3 (RRT-3 has larger diameter, but may not seem so in pics)
M1XM2SRRT3Front.jpg

M2S Vs. M1X
M2sM2x.jpg

Trio
Trio.jpg

More pics here:
http://swiatelka.pl/viewtopic.php?p=35807

Updates:

01-28 => Info added
Member jhc37013:
"From the bottom of the page of the link provided by OP at BOG's website it says:"

*** 2 18650 can only be used with the optional battery extender ***

01-29 => Pics added
Pics by BOG added

02-03 => More Pics link added
Link found by Cooperl

Hopping for more updates... :popcorn:

Best regards
Dioni

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Re: New Jeatbeam M2S with SST-50 LED

Here's the not so great news...
The M2S' built in circuit protection allows the user to run at the full output for 3 continuous minutes in High mode and then the M2S will automatically switch to Mid mode(450 lumen).
In Mid mode it can run for approximately 2 hours.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

The M2S' built in circuit protection allows the user to run at the full output for 3 continuous minutes in High mode and then the M2S will automatically switch to Mid mode(450 lumen).

I also think so, but newest and brighter LEDs, just like many others, have heat problems. :(

IMHO, This is the way that modern brands will have to do to offer powerful LED flashlights to the lay person about LED overheating. As Flavio said: "The light will only run for 3 minutes to protect it from damaging the LED".

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened

It might not be so bad. I'm assuming when you turn off the light, it resets the 3 min timer. 450 is plenty for general use, and that burst may be long enough for most tasks needing the extra light. Even on traffic stops and building searches, I turn my light on and off frequently, so maybe you wouldn't even notice unless you do a runtime test. Just a thought.

SwarfWorks

Newly Enlightened

JetBeam had one of these at the SHOT show, but it was in glass case so I'm not sure it was even functional.

They did have another prototype in there that uses the same LED, but could run full power for the whole battery life (no 3-minute intervals). It was however pretty huge. The whole body was just a bit smaller in diameter than the front bezel. I should have got a picture or at least a model number. He said it was more for military use...?

I'd expect to see more on that coming soon.

Paul

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Paul

What you are talking about is the new Raptor RRT-3 which uses 3x 18650 that's why it is so fat ;).

rayman

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

JetBeam had one of these at the SHOT show, but it was in glass case so I'm not sure it was even functional.

They did have another prototype in there that uses the same LED, but could run full power for the whole battery life (no 3-minute intervals). It was however pretty huge. The whole body was just a bit smaller in diameter than the front bezel. I should have got a picture or at least a model number. He said it was more for military use...?

I'd expect to see more on that coming soon.

Paul

Aren't you talking about the RRT-3?

LowFlux

Enlightened

I'm still learning a lot about batteries, and I wonder about the M2S being able to be comfortably driven by RCR or primaries. It seems like most of the other lights in this class are 18650-only, with the high current I'd think the voltage sag on RCR/primaries could be a potential safety issue. In the very least you'd need to be extremely (even more so) cautious that all the batteries match at these voltages, if I am not mistaken.

Can anyone comment on this? :poke:

If I got one I'd go 18650 only, for certain.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 mins is plenty, dosnt sound like much but actually stand there and sweep a field / street / house. does not take 3 mins youl be left just waving it around like skywalker !
sounds good to me i like the shape, looks, UI im in :)

brianch

Enlightened

I think the 3 minutes idea is great. Honestly I rarely need that much lumens for long periods. I think it's great that JETBeam placed safety implements in the light. This just shows JETBeams dedication to making unique lights instead of just taking existing designs and parts and slapping them together. One of the reasons I really like JETBeam and Fenix over some of the other newer chinamade brands is because they actually come out with new lights. Other manufacturers just copy each other. I'm all for the new M2S, I just want some reviews to come out and gonna wait for the product to mature a bit before I jump on it. The Raptor-3 sounds interesting as well. I may just have to pick that up as well. :paypal:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 3 minute thing is really the only way someone can release that light as still warranty it.

Too many people would leave it on continous and cause a meltdown and turn it in for warranty.

The alternative would be to not use the SST50.... I would rather have the option any day.. even if its limited.

I'm adding an extra two extension tubes to my M1X but I'm not even sure mine is compatible for the SST50 upgrade as mine is the second version.

BTW.. if anyone orders extension tubes.. make sure you ask Flavian at bugout which ones fit your light.... the newest tubes do not fit the older M1X's.. there is a thread mismatch.

Flavian is sending me a couple of the older extension tubes to see if they work ok.

Adding extension tubes is not a license to use the light longer or even keep turning it off and back on to reset the timer..... hot is hot and too hot is too hot.... extra batteries won't make it cooler!

Here is a pic of my older MIX.. if you notice the fins, they are different than the one depicted in the posted picture above.

Note the notches in the first 3 rings... you can put your thumb in them... if yours looks like this, it is the older model.....
Only Flavian can answer as to whether these will accept a SST50 upgrade.

0628092142a.jpg

0628092142.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic

I was really excited until I saw that 3 min thing. I don't think this will be a hit. 10 min would be OK.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a flashlight with the same led that will sustain this output for more than 3 minutes???

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks like max mode is more of a "bonus".
The real gain is the extension of runtime on medium mode, which pretty much apparently M1X's max mode.

M1X is "searchlight", I wonder what purpose would Jetbeam advertise this light as.... :rollineyes:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

The limiting factor to ever using these SST's in the first place is heat.
The SST90s even melt the connectors feeding the LED.

Unless we don't want the extra brightness, there has to be a time limit.

If we make the lights bigger with more heat fins that may fix it... but who wants gigantic lights just for the sake of heat sinking?

We can use some of our battery power for peltier coolers and or fans... but then that compromises water resistance.

Even with a peltier cooler, it has to have a place to "put" the heat or it does little.

Its merely a "turbo" mode... not mean't to be used continuous any more than a constant feed of Nitrous is supposed to be fed to a funny car engine.

Even when using solid copper to conduct heat, we still get a limited time.

Until we find a cooler LED or a way to dissipate the heat,
It is what it is.....

If anybody has a better solution, I'm sure everybody is all ears....

brianch

Enlightened

Is 4amps being fed to the M2S in turbo mode? If so, is there any other production SST-50 light that is running at 4amps? For those who don't like the time restraint, wait for the RRT-3. I believe I read that the RRT-3 will not have the time restraint like the M2S. The reason being the RRT-3 is a larger light and therefore has increased heat sinking capabilities. The disadvantage being that the RRT-3 is going to be larger and heavier. The M2S has a thin body tube and though the head is large, there is still not enough heatsinking mass. I don't think we will see a best of both worlds here yet and have it function safely. What was said about the warranty is true. I don't think we will see other manufacturers offer a warranty and leave it to the user to burn out the light. This just an example of JETBeam covering their own @ss.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I will wait for more efficient LED's for a big output light like this. Or just get one of the massive ones with better heat sinking.

There is no point imo to have a light that you can only use High for a certain amount of time.

Imagine using it in the field, identifying your target, and then the light drops it output by 50% :shrug:

May aswell just use my current M1X on "high" the entire time...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome, and contemplated putting one on pre-order.

Last edited:

brianch

Enlightened

I think I will wait for more efficient LED's for a big output light like this. Or just get one of the massive ones with better heat sinking.

There is no point imo to have a light that you can only use High for a certain amount of time.

Imagine using it in the field, identifying your target, and then the light drops it output by 50% :shrug:

May aswell just use my current M1X on "high" the entire time...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome, and contemplated putting one on pre-order.
+1 on more efficient emitters

It depends how you look at it. I am looking at this as an upgraded M1X with slightly higher output, should be better beam, and as an added bonus a really bright turbo mode. And all for only $40 more then the M1X ($30 more technically if you consider the $10 for the extender on the M1X). If I was starting over I would buy this over the M1X. Of course I already have the M1X so this is just tempting me.. It's hard to justify if you already have the M1X, but if you don't have the M1X or was thinking about getting the M1X this M2S seems like a great deal. It doesn't REALLY break your bank. With the code the final price isn't too substantial considering what it is. Until a similar competitor puts out a light in the same category and the same quality I think the M2S is the only one filling out this little gap in the flashlight lineup. All the other SST-50 lights I've seen are not bad but knowing the quality of JETBeam lights from previous lights, I can say this light should be up there in terms of build quality. I can't say the same for OTHER SST-50 lights I've played with.

bullettproof

Enlightened

My Catapult is 3A the revised version and its only warm after 30 minutes. They need to work on this 3 minutes is to short of run time on hi.