Older Fenix L2D - LiOn's?

JohnF

Enlightened
Yes, I did search, and didn't find out if the Fenix L2D has to use alkalines / NiMh or if I can use 2 x 14500's in it? Thanks,

John F

JohnF

Enlightened
Thx, it's been a while since I used it, but after selling a few lights recently this one has come back into play. It'll be much nicer, I think, after I replace the Cree with an XP-G R4 I've got ready to go in. Guess it's not such a bad thing to have a light that uses primaries, eh?

Just measured tail current on turbo mode, drawing 1.1a on partially used AA's. That'll be the sweetspot for the XP-G. They used a lot of epoxy on the pill, I'll have to take my time with the Cree removal and cleanup.

Thanks for helping me not poof the driver.

John F

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1.1A at the battery is not 1.1 A to the LED. You have to account for driver inefficiencies too. The XP-G R4 would give a wider hotspot.

Good luck with the mod!

JohnF

Enlightened
1.1A at the battery is not 1.1 A to the LED. You have to account for driver inefficiencies too. The XP-G R4 would give a wider hotspot.

Good luck with the mod!

Yea, I don't know a lot, but I do know that. Until I start the disassembly I can't measure LED current, but Fenix in general seems to do fairly well in driver efficiency, so it is at least a rough measure.

I've modded quite a few, and tail current, if nothing else, tells a bit about expected run times, and usually a ball park estimation of final output.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yup, tail current does let you estimate runtime. IIRC , the current to the LED is around 700-800 mA (don't quote me on that).