NovaTac 120CL Classic LED Flashlight....Got mine tonight-Sending back Tomorrow :(

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this new flashlight at Batteryjunction for $99 along with some other NovaTac's. It has what looks like a thick batt. tube which I like...and 120L on high, 30L on med and .3L on low.

I am looking for a new light, and I wanted something different (have
4310073568_99237d6d0a_o.jpg
bought so many 2x123a lights) possibly in the 2x AA format like this one. I like how tough the light looks, and that it is decently bright on high...and the low-low for a AA light is cool too. But, I have never had a NovaTac and I am not sure if their tints are usually decent...and not super excited about a polycarbonate lens on a $99 light made in China. I also do not know what kind of led it has in it...or if the 120L is OTF or led lumens.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Re: NovaTac 120CL Classic LED Flashlight....Should I buy one?

I'm waiting for the Gunmetal version... I've always wanted a AA body for my Novatacs but was unwilling to pay the extreme costs.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well my resistance lasted the few short hours it normally does. After reading a few old reviews here on NovaTac123a lights... I just placed an order at Batteryjunction. I will let you all know in a few days (hopefully) what I think of the light...and hopefully post some photos and impressions.

I would still love to have any comments on this light being a good buy or not.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I got mine today...Feels good in the hand, nice and solid..without being Heavy.

High showed a nice bright smooth beam For 2 seconds...then started flickering...then lost 60% of its output. I will post pics of the light tomorrow. Tried 2 sets of AA energizer lithiums fresh from the package. Sometimes the light will also not stay on...but always turns on bright after the tailcap is removed for a second...then quickly dims to a Fenix PD30 R2 level one output level.

Well I was wondering about this light, I guess Now I know. At least I know Batteryjunction will take care of me:) ...And I am glad it happened the first day...and not 20 days after I had it I guess. Still, it sucks to buy a new light and have it be a huge dissapointment.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Hey Woodrow. I am by no means a NT expert but I remember when I had my original version I had similar problems at times. It was always the darn retaining rings inside the head and/or tailcap that woud loosen periodically and cause problems. Once titend down it worked gret. You need to have some snapring pliers or really narrow long needle nose pliers and titen them down but be careful not to damage those threads. You could use a little blue Loctite on them but that might make futre removal all but impossible!!
I got tired of checking them all the time and ended up selling mine. I miss it but hate those damn rings more!!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Tip....I have allready gotten my rma from batteryjunction...Mine is going back. I think a loose spring in the battery tube is a Stupid addition to a flashlight...plus have read about other problems with their new lights.... Thats ok...a new Fenix T series will be on the way to me soon. With no internal cheap metal spring to go wrong in it.