An idea for new flashlight UI

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
There are many different approaches to UI for flashlights. Some have preset levels, some allow custom programming, to name a few.

How about a flashlight that you customize using standard software on your computer? If manufacturers agreed on a standard, one would be able to create a UI profile on the computer, one time, and download it to all their flashlights. So all of my flashlights would work the same!

Want one brightness level? Three? Memory? Strobe? Lowest mode on first? It's hard to please everybody. These things can be configured on lights like the LF5XT, which is beautiful, but its quite a difficult challenge.

The USB port should be inside the battery tube, so that it is not exposed to the elements, maybe next to the positive terminal. The cable would need to have a cylindrical shape (like 2AA or 2 CR123) which fit the tube so that it was guided to the port correctly.

If Steve Jobs worked on flashlights instead of iPads, we would have something like this!

HKJ

Flashaholic
The way to this is with I2C communication, this is build into many small microprocessors and if missing is easy to implement in software. Then an external USB to I2C cable, this is one chip and could probably be inside the USB connector.
I do not believe in something common for all lights, but a manufacturer could do it for all their better lights. What can be changed would depend on the light, i.e. a light with a ring selector would have a different set of options, than a light with only a power switch.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
If they could ever get Bluetooth to work reliably, that would be the ideal (e.g. - waterproof) interface. You could program your flashlight with your Ipod! Then you could hack into your buddy's flashlight and make it do stupid stuff...:thumbsup:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
infinite brightness adjustment, controlled by a ring or something, fast and simple. Its not new, i believe a titanium surefire got it. I want someone else to make a cheaper version.

Personally I don't want usb, bluethooth etc, more stuff that is easily breakable.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a small offering a few years ago that attempted this, with only modest sales if I remember right, though the interfaces are more elegant now than they were then. Today we could choose to go micro-USB, etc. Still, though my inner geek loves this idea, as a practical matter I think it's a solution looking for a problem, and which is bound to create even more problems. It will increase size and cost a pretty good amount, and given the plethora of offerings out there, I'll always be able to find a "good enough" light that is smaller and less expensive. Besides, for programming, HDS/Novatac/Ra have a powerful programming ability, and I at least don't find the interface too cumbersome.

Don't let me discourage you, this wouldn't be the first time I lack vision.

HKJ

Flashaholic
If they could ever get Bluetooth to work reliably, that would be the ideal (e.g. - waterproof) interface. You could program your flashlight with your Ipod! Then you could hack into your buddy's flashlight and make it do stupid stuff...:thumbsup:

I do not think bluetooth is a good idea, it does not work through metal.
Making a I2C connection inside the head, beside the plus connection and then powering the microprocessor from USB power when programming would work and be waterproof.

lundeholm

Newly Enlightened
I think the best idea would be to use RFID technology for this. It would be wireless and probably very simple and cheap to implement in existing micro processor drivers even today :naughty: Imagine hovering your flashlight over a RFID-pad and have it reprogrammed in a split second :thumbsup:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think the best idea would be to use RFID technology for this. It would be wireless and probably very simple and cheap to implement in existing micro processor drivers even today :naughty: Imagine hovering your flashlight over a RFID-pad and have it reprogrammed in a split second :thumbsup:

This is fine for a plastic flashlight with enough space for an extra chip to handle the RFID and also space for an antenna.
The I2C solution is the cheapest and easiest to implement, it only needs two pins on the microprocessor and 2 connection pads. The disadvantage is the need for an external adapter from I2C to USB.