Inova 24/7 Rattles and more!

sygyzy

Enlightened
Hi,

Just got my Inova 24-7 in O.D. from County Comm and it rattles when I shake it. I called them up and they said that all of the ones that have rattle, even new ones sealed in plastic. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, how do you put on the neck lanyard? If you slide it under the clip, it looks like the clip end (where it curves) should fit into the groove. It does but it's not an exact fit. You don't get the sense of a click sound. It just kind of sits on top of it. Is that right?

Tomas

Banned
My school bus yellow 24/7 is silent, no rattles.

The depression in the lanyard slide is not wide enough for the clip's tip to drop into, and the clip does not "latch" onto the lanyard as it should. This was mentioned and discussed briefly in one of the older threads on the 24/7.

T_sig6.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
Wow, this is very odd. I wonder what the reason is? I talked to CountyComma and they said all their units rattle.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm guessing there's a catalyst pellet in there somewhere that's making that sound. But since I don't yet have a 24/7, there's no way for me to know for sure.

sygyzy

Enlightened
What is a Catalyst pellet? You mean the ball bearings that roll and snap into the holes? This is kind of annoying that a company as reputable as Inova would allow so many products to get released like this...

Tomas

Banned
Just a wild thought, but is it possible this is why these particular military models are available? I have nothing to suggest that other than my (yellow) 24/7 is solid and quiet.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "school bus" 24/7 is pretty much near perfect. The only sound i hear when i tap it against something is a slight, deep spring sound from the battery contact vibrating. it actually is a "solid" sound, so i don't even know why i mentioned it.

shrap

Enlightened
A catalyst pellet absorbs the gases from batteries, preventing the flashlight from exploding. I think most flashlights rated for hazardous locations must have one.

They're usually just glued somewhere inside the flashlight, so it isn't too unusual for them to fall off and start rattling.

If I understand you correctly, the ball bearings you are describing are called detents.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Well I contacted Inova and CountyComm. I have another one coming my way and my defective one is going back to Santa Clara for further investigation.

GREAT customer service from CountyComm. I know where my future business is going.

The Wolf

Newly Enlightened
Thats cool. I ordered an OD 24/7 and 2 ultra-g's from countycomm, got them quickly.

The 24/7 does not rattle at all.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Frank contacted me today. Seems they had a mess up in the manufacturing process where an extra ball bearing was installed. They have since reprogramed their code and all is well!

JJHitt

Enlightened
I lost my 24/7 this weekend. Had it clipped to a pants pocket on the outside and SOMEWHERE it jumped out and ran away.

I like it, but I think I'll wait for a "version 2" before I replace it. My gripe list now consists of:
-needs a lock out to prevent accidental activation.
-needs a more robust clip.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Awww man that sucks - losing a perfectly good flashlight like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Guess I'll have to add that to my webpage when I get a 24/7 for review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I just bought an Inova 24/7...and I'm just amazed! The 2 red LEDs are brighter than my A2's 3 red LEDs. I think the A2's LEDs have longer throw, but I'm not sure. I've only tested the lights in the bathroom since it's only 11 am right now.

I'm still not sure what I'll be using the 24/7 for...but I'm sure I'll find a use for it. What do you guys use it for?

Latest posts