Are there any good comparison pages for different

sygyzy

Enlightened
..flashlights?

I am having a tough time convincing all my coworkers that Maglights are not the best in the business. It would help if there was a website or page with side by side comparisons, runtimes, etc. I have seen many review pages but they rarely have any maglights other than the AA versions.

Also, does anyone know if Maglights are still the preferred carry light of LEO's?

Any information would be helpful.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Brock's site is good for comparing brightness side by side:

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

Just scroll down. I think there's an error with the Mag 5D, the candlepower rating is actually supposed to say 10, not 30...

Mag's are definitely issued by most LE agencies but don't know if the officers prefer those or go out and buy their own lights. By the way, is it against LE rules for a cop to use equipment that isn't issued (Other than obvious stuff like weapons)?

epro05

Newly Enlightened
Suggest you show them these two pictures.

{FFADD971-1D32-4CCF-8189-22E0FEC471AF}lg.jpg

{54DA2E4D-A26B-438D-B99A-0A735FB205B8}lg.jpg

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Locally it's not the flashlight that's the problem, it's the batteries! The Cr123's still cost too much. They can get the D cell very cheap. As a example of how tight the Sheriff's budget is, they only put the work SHERIFF on the cars...they save $27 per car by not putting the word DEPUTY on the car.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Sygyzy,
I'm glad you made it over here!! How are ya liking that E2e? For your doubting friends hand em your E2e, then hand em a 3d mag and let em make their own mind up. I bet I know which one they'll choose. Welcome to CPF David!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Scorpions are nice lights but are ridiculous for LEO duty lights which get used several hours a night. At one battery change per hour, well, ka-ching! A rechargeable Surefire will pay for itself awfully fast.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Re: Are there any good comparison pages for differ

Thanks a bunch guys. I am going to show them tomorrow.

dtsoll - Thanks for the welcome. I actually have been lurking here for a while. Hope you enjoy your watch!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Duty light? I would suggest a rechargeable.

Either of these:
Tigerlight
Streamlight (any size rechargeable)
Surefire 10X (if you got a lot of money)

Yea, it costs a little more up front but you don't need to buy batteries anymore and what's the point of having a light if you can't see anything with it because it's so dim?

If you give me a few days I can do some comparison shots between the Tigeright and the 3-D cell maglite.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sean,

I'd optimize the Streamlight recommendations to Stinger HP, Stinger XT HP or Ultrastinger. I wouldn't get one of the basic Stingers when the brighter lights are available.

-john

sygyzy

Enlightened

I am not a LEO. The question about Mags being carried by them was just a related question.

What is special about the Stinger line? I want to get a Streamlight (my first) and the Tasklights seem like a good bet. Why should I get the Stinger instead?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of the Streamlights, I feel that the Ultrastinger is the brightest. That being said, IMO, the Tigerlight is brighter still, for about the same money.