Handgun Flashlight

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I am looking for a good handgun flashlight. I can't seem to find a good selection anywhere and wonder if anyone knows where to get the ones that are good but not so heavy on the wallet. I can't afford to spend $300 on just a flashlight with fancy rails.

I need it to fit a S&W 40VE Handgun. Tried using the search function for this but the search function keeps crashing my browser after a while of not loading, anyone else having issues with search?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15713&isFirearm=Y

901-Memphis

Enlightened
What the heck are you looking at that costs $300?

Streamlight TLR-1

Example: http://www.opticsplanet.net/streaml...shlight.html?gclid=CJ6auqKDyJ8CFR6dnAodujGVzg

BTW: The sigma has a pretty poor reputation when it comes to reliability and durability.

I don't know what reviews you have been reading. Its a reliable and accurate and a good bang for your buck.

SW9VE , same gun different barrel.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/sigma_100507/

40VE
http://www.rc-trucks.org/smith-and-wesson-sigma-sw40ve-pistol-review.htm

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
TLR-3 - lighter, smaller, cheaper. You don't use a handgun light as a general use flashlight, so why isn't 1.x hour of runtime good enough? Botach gives 15% off with the code cpf.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
TLR-3 - lighter, smaller, cheaper. You don't use a handgun light as a general use flashlight, so why isn't 1.x hour of runtime good enough? Botach gives 15% off with the code cpf.

I like that but this review is iffy.

Review @ Amazon said:
I bought this light for my XDM and initially was very pleased. It mounted easily on the rail, and was very, very bright. The operation is easy, and it offers a fast way to briefly flash it on or to click it on (so it stays on).

Everything changed when I took it to the range. After shooting one magazine I noticed that this light was sliding off. I figured I needed to simply tighten it, which helped, but after a couple more mags it was falling off again. I took it home and tighten it down with a flat head screwdriver and took to to the range the following weekend - it still was sliding off. Finally, I tried to tighten it even more, but it ended up cracking on the grove it slides on.

What I noticed is a pretty hefty design flaw. While one side of the light is metal, the other is plastic. Furthermore, the plastic is thinnest where there is a substantial amount of stress, where the pressure is placed to hold it on the pistol.

I recommend getting a higher grade tactical light... while the price is right on this one, and it certainly is bright enough, there's no point having it if it won't stay on your firearm.

Warp

Enlightened
I don't know what reviews you have been reading. Its a reliable and accurate and a good bang for your buck.

I think not and would never trust my life to one, but since this is CPF we'll have to leave it at that and get back on topic.

I have carried my Glock with a TLR-1 attached a good bit and used it at the range. It worked as designed.

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
Did you put the proper key in the light when you mounted it to your gun. The TLR's have different sized keys for proper fit to different guns. One of my friends was having the same problem with his TLR-1 sliding off because he did not put any keys in the light before mounting.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
If the TLR-3 would fit snugly i would like it due to the lighter weight and smaller size. Its not going to be run unless its needed so runtime wouldn't be a concern.

Does the TLR-3 fit the same as the TLR-1?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of those will work...quite...I have the .40GVE, and because the rails are closed, there was only 1 light made for it, the Insight Technologies M4 (now discontinued, btw). They do make an adapter that will put conventional picatinny rails on it, so you can use other lights, but the light will hang a little lower than usual. I'm looking to trade my .40 in for a Para-Ord 1911, and won't need the light...pm me if you'd be interested. Hope I was able to help, and :welcome:

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
TLR-1 hasn't let my agency down we've got quite a few out there and they are dependable. Good price, good runtime.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I was reading and i heard the S&W has a proprietary rail and will only accept S&W hardware. Anyone know if this is true or if the light will fit anyway?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading and i heard the S&W has a proprietary rail and will only accept S&W hardware. Anyone know if this is true or if the light will fit anyway?

Is this the rail your's has?

http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/...d_Guns_Pistols_SW_SW40GVE_40SW_10RD_DUO_.aspx

If so, then only the Insight M4 (http://www.productwizard.com/insightm4.html) will fit

...that's why they had to come out with this once Insight quit making the M4 for them...

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=67369&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Ya thats the gun, so its going to be a little expensive. Might have to gorilla tape or glue a LRI Photon Proton PRO to the underside of the gun

901-Memphis

Enlightened
The mount just adds more bulk. I think i will just go with some night sights or paint them myself.

I can hold a light in my hand if i have to use it tactically.

bkumanski

Enlightened
None of those will work...quite...I have the .40GVE, and because the rails are closed, there was only 1 light made for it, the Insight Technologies M4 (now discontinued, btw). They do make an adapter that will put conventional picatinny rails on it, so you can use other lights, but the light will hang a little lower than usual. I'm looking to trade my .40 in for a Para-Ord 1911, and won't need the light...pm me if you'd be interested. Hope I was able to help, and :welcome:

TLR1 will work on that. If you notice all holsters for tac lights show M4 and TLR1 for the same holster (They may even be the same design with different labels put on them). Anyway, the TLR1 un-clamps to put on from the side. The closed front isn't a problem at all.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Keeping and eye out for the TLR-1/3 on ebay for a good used price, they are expensive since i am already spending a lot of money on other things.

BigD64

Enlightened
If your putting the light on a handgun and your life in going to depend on it find a way to spend $300 and get the Surefire X300. If your just getting a light for the range then go cheaper. Safariland makes a decent handgun light
Safariland
RLS Rapid Light System Tactical Weapon Light about $110.

TriChrome

Enlightened
If you like to use molded holsters (Serpa, Safariland, etc.), I would also research which holsters fit your gun/light combo.

It can get very hard to find a good holster with light attached to your gun (which I found out the hard way).